Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: rc18t??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #1

Default rc18t??

i got bored recently picked up an associated rc18, and was wondering if anyone has done anything cool with one of these? i have no desire to make it go fast, my mini-t already pushes 50, so speed isnt the thing with this one.. id like to make it a crawler or trail machine, but if anyone has done/tried this before id like to know how well or not well it went. thanks in advance - charley

p.s. i might have an rc18 for trade if anyone is interested to trade for tlt axles???
charley- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
20K Club

I have one, I have thought a few times about trying some type of mini e-max style rig but just have never started hacking on it. They are fun to drive around anyway though. I would love to see some pics of someone who has done something on that scale to something similar though.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #3

I've thought about it but i dont want to put my mamba to waste but brightershades was gonna try it on One18th.com
minikrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:36 AM   #4

I don't think the RC18 has any potential as a crawler and some potential as a light trail rig. I love mine but its a decent offroad track truck, a good carpet racer, and great basher.
If you want to make it an offroader I recommend the following-
Tires, Trinity monster offroad wheels/tires. These are made for the mini-turd so make sure you order rears.
Shocks,GPM RC18 shocks. Nice and soft springs and hardly leaks, but the shafts are a little weak. Plus the stock springs fit perfectly.
Bumpers, I have T-Bone racing front and rear on both my boys and mine. Theyre heavy but almost undestructable. The RPM and BRP are good too but the BRP is rather prone to breaking, but they're about $5.
Diff gears and extra shims, you'll see.
Outdrives, steel or Ti outdrives are one of the first hop-ups you should make, followed by-
CVDs, MIP are the only way to go! Either shiny or black, doesn't matter. The alloy ones suck and are a total waste of money, I broke 3 out of 4 at the knuckle within 3 weeks and replaced them with MIPs as they went.
Gearing, if it's a "T" then it probably has 14 or 15/55 gears which doesn't have enough torque IMHO. 10/60 is the way to go for offroad (I use 11/60 and foams for carpet) but check your bottom chassis gear cover to make sure it will accept a 60t spur, the "T" ships with a 55 from my understanding.
Sealed bearings, optional, I like mine tho.
Main gear cover, there's a couple outfits on one18th.com that are selling them and are a great investment to keep the crap out of your gears. I have bought Driven Productions and installed it on my youngests and it fit great but it's winter so testing isn't really possible. I also bought one of TUT's and it looks great but am waiting for indoor season to end before installing it, less hassle at the track.
Theres alot of pics and threads on one18th that might give you some ideas so you can see what others have done with thiers.
RIPPER357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:51 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hey man, you could also check out my thread a ways down. I am still in the progression stage, im going to order some parts tommarow if they dont have them in at the hobby shop. hopefully they will. have a good one, and happy building.

peace, John
IronOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have some tlt axles. lol
or,crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #7

thanks for the replies, i think im gonna just bring it back to my LHS and buy another tlt or something like that. it just seems too redundant to have yet another truck that isnt too special.

or,crawler, wanna sell those axles??
charley- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley-
thanks for the replies, i think im gonna just bring it back to my LHS and buy another tlt or something like that. it just seems too redundant to have yet another truck that isnt too special.

or,crawler, wanna sell those axles??
I have a full tlt here that needs put together and a belt for the trans i'll give you for the 18
or,crawler is offline   Reply With Quote