Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Did I just fry my LNC ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Did I just fry my LNC ESC?

Losi Night Crawler, stock ESC, #MSC-12L. Rated for 7.4V, trying to put 11.1V through it,(3s vs. 2s).
I had planned to run the CC BEC when I swapped to 3s, had read that it would take some of the load off of the ESC. Had also read of other running 3s through the MSC-12L with no probs yet.
Long story short, the batteries came in before the BEC. 2650 mAh, 40C 3s Blue Lipos. I hooked one up, it was charged around 12V, not a full charge. I noticed it would glitch, like lock up, then BURST forward or reverse. After a few of these, it became more manageable, began driving fairly normal besides the extra power. I ran it for about 10 minutes, checking the esc with my finger every few seconds to see what it was doing temp-wise. Never got more than lukewarm.

So, I put a full charge on the 3s, and tried to run it again. ESC was NOT happy about this. Turn it on, got a couple of the glitches, then NADA. LED won't even come on. I'm assuming thermal protection shut it down?

I want to check it with 2s(7.4V) to see if it works ok, but I need to change out those plugs before I can. Just switched everything to TRX last night, didn't get to the 2s stuff yet. I guess that will tell me if the ESC is fawked or not?

Will the CC BEC help this situation or am I going to need a different ESC?
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Forgot to mention that the ESC was cold when it shut down, only made a few trigger pulls before it quit.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The NC ESC is only good for a 2S battery, you can't run a 3S on it. You need a different ESC.
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You may have got lucky and only the thermal overload protection kicked in, but I doubt it. That ESC is just not built to handle 3s lipos. You're luck you did not send the whole rig up in flames.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I had that glitching problem (just like yours) on 2 s lipo I played around with differnt motors with no luck. Figuring what the heck I put 3s into it with a cc bec, I still have the glitching but no other problems with the esc. I think I might have damaged my esc on 2s getting into a bad bind during a comp and bunt somthing up in the esc that effects motor startup. I will be fixing my problem with a brushless setup.
Zimm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
Hoof Hearted?

A friend of mine has a Night Crawler, and we managed to kill the esc on a 2s lipo without abusing it. Talking around, found out this doesn't seem to be the first time anyone has heard of this. The esc in these things work, but are not great. My advice would be to go ahead and spend a little to upgrade the electronics. You will be alot happier with the performance.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

No one really recommends using such a low turn motor like a 55T in the Losi's due to the worm gears. It's a shame they included a cheap 55T Motor and a ESC that can only take 2S LiPo's. I'm running 3S and 17.5T in my LCC and it's not overly fast.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
No one really recommends using such a low turn motor like a 55T in the Losi's due to the worm gears. It's a shame they included a cheap 55T Motor and a ESC that can only take 2S LiPo's. I'm running 3S and 17.5T in my LCC and it's not overly fast.
Word. That's what this is all about. A quest for wheelspeed. 3s and 35T was what I tried here.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelljeep View Post
Word. That's what this is all about. A quest for wheelspeed. 3s and 35T was what I tried here.
I'd try a Castle Sidewinder ESC.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I say 3s and a 19t double.

Only if you want INSANE wheel speed.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have HH 7T Puller getting rebuilt right now.
Looking for a suitable ESC, funny how as soon as I need one, there's no 3s capable esc's in the classifieds. LOL.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Just get the Holmes ESC and be done with it
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I'd try a Castle Sidewinder ESC.
Does it have instant reverse and good crawl control?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

im running a 3s with the stock night crawler esc seems to be great never any problems no superheating with it either but my is only a 3s 1100mah 25c burst
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktbone View Post
Just get the Holmes ESC and be done with it
Considering that also, especially since he has my motor.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalScaleCrawlers View Post
im running a 3s with the stock night crawler esc seems to be great never any problems no superheating with it either but my is only a 3s 1100mah 25c burst
I guess the 40C burst on this battery could have contributed? You aren't the only one getting them to live behind 3s. Looks like mine is toast though. Damn near instantly with the fully charged 3s.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelljeep View Post
I guess the 40C burst on this battery could have contributed? You aren't the only one getting them to live behind 3s. Looks like mine is toast though. Damn near instantly with the fully charged 3s.
The discharge rate has nothing to do with it. It doesn't mean it is feeding 40c all the time it just means it has the ability to put out that kind of amperage if the motor asks for it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Just trying to figure out why it worked for some and not for me. When it would glitch, I would power through it with a full trigger pull in the reverse direction, so that's why I thought it might have contributed.
Looks like I'm going with the Torquemaster.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I dont know why they do it, but I put an amp meter on mine and when it would glitch that amps would not spike, so its not a binding issue. I think that its just a cheap esc that is not up to the task of crawling.
Zimm98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimm98 View Post
I dont know why they do it, but I put an amp meter on mine and when it would glitch that amps would not spike, so its not a binding issue. I think that its just a cheap esc that is not up to the task of crawling.
Same ESC they use in the Strike truck. This Crawler should have been closer to 199$ for what you really get, but then would have thrown off the MRC pricing as well.