Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: venom crawler? good starter rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Default venom crawler? good starter rig?

i am thinking of buying a venom crawler to start out with does is it as good as an axial ax10? what are good electronics? how good is it at crawling?
sinat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
0 0

first time ive seen one in person was last night. it was bone stock from what i could tell

Eric -16 -5 -23 = -44 20 pts. (LOSI)
Pete -5 -5 12 = 2 19 pts. (LOSI)
Bob 4 -13 12 = 3 18 pts. (LOSI)
Gabe 19 -17 25 = 27 17 pts. (GO CREEPER!!)
Todd 26 -5 19 = 40 16 pts. (AXIAL)
Tom 22 19 12 = 53 15 pts. (AXIAL)
Bart 25 1 34 = 61 14 pts. (BERG)
Cory 50 0 19 = 69 13 pts. (LOSI)
Dennie 37 0 34 = 71 12 pts. (LOSI)
Nathan 37 30 33 = 100 11 pts. (LOSI)
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #3

not bad i do like the axial scorpion because i know somebody that has one but i like the fact that the venom is more alloy than plastic
Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I think its a great starter rig, mostly because its a kit. Building your own crawler get your really fimilair with it and you wont be afraid to take it apart and fix it if osmething goes wrong. Check out ultimatehobbies.com, i think they have them for like $99 or something. Also look at the Creeper forum, you can find a lot of info there!
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #5

I'm building my creeper now. I really like to build the kits. I got mine at RPP for $105. I have some upgrades coming, but I'm going to drive stock for a bit. I don't have an Axial, but I'm going to by the SCX10 to build a scaler. Whatever you choose, have fun!
PirateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #6

That is where i am planning to order mine at. How are the stock ridgeline tires?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinat1 View Post
How are the stock ridgeline tires?

Not very good, get a taller 5.5 tire with lugs spaced furter apart, like and HB Rover
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #8

well i traded for a ax-10 scorpion. what should i do to improve it. it has aluminum links and bottom skid. it does have the rtr eletronics. the guy also had the spring removed. should i reinstall them?
Hillbillyrcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i would go with the axial (ARTR or KIT) for starter rig with probly an Tekin esc & motor
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I think Venom is a good starter rig because is cheapest crawler kit out there. I started with Wheely King and Venom wasn't even out yet while ax10 was a little pricey for me in case I don't like this hobby. Now that I caught the bug, I'm saving to buy different rigs to play with. There are other options out there depending on your price range.
EvoKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #11

What about flat irons, or leopards?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinat1 View Post
What about flat irons, or leopards?
For tires there are almost endless possibilities.
Firstly the Flat iron is a scale tire and the Leopard is a flat out top end comp tire, apples and oranges.

The stock tires are pretty mediocre. With a serious foam cut and a real good session with a dremmel to delug and sipe they become a bit better. Still a bit sad really. The Lizzard off the AX-10 is a bettter box tire but still needs gobs of work to mke it even o.k. I know as I have a set of them too.

Once you have built and run your crawler a few times and begun to tune it to crawl better then you can look at the tires and your terrain and make a very good decision based on the info that is in the Tires & wheels section.

The Venom out of the box is fun, a few small adjustments and it gets real fun. A few low cost mods and it is a real hoot on the rocks.

Check my build log in the Venom section to see what can be done for a few dollars more.
Simon.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #13

I have a creeper and a Losi Night crawler. I have broken sevral part on the creeper and none on the Losi. Also the creeper takes alot more work to make it crawl as good as the Losi. I still like the creeper but if you are going to comp or hard bash you will have to get some upgrades.
evolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.O. View Post
For tires there are almost endless possibilities.
Firstly the Flat iron is a scale tire and the Leopard is a flat out top end comp tire, apples and oranges.

The stock tires are pretty mediocre. With a serious foam cut and a real good session with a dremmel to delug and sipe they become a bit better. Still a bit sad really. The Lizzard off the AX-10 is a bettter box tire but still needs gobs of work to mke it even o.k. I know as I have a set of them too.

Once you have built and run your crawler a few times and begun to tune it to crawl better then you can look at the tires and your terrain and make a very good decision based on the info that is in the Tires & wheels section.

The Venom out of the box is fun, a few small adjustments and it gets real fun. A few low cost mods and it is a real hoot on the rocks.

Check my build log in the Venom section to see what can be done for a few dollars more.

Do you have a link to your build log I'm looking into this crawler because my funds are a bit limited. It looks good I'm new to crawlers but not to R/C Trucks/ and Cars
mredzadventure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
venom