Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Torque Twist question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Torque Twist question

I'm working on a custom crawler rig I've been building and logging in the PTI forum and have a TT question (actually a couple)

1) Is it still TT if the front right tire doesn't leave the ground but the whole chassis still tilts left on hard torque climbs?

2) I've raised left upper and lowered right upper links (this is a four linker) to get similar geometry wise to what I've seen in the other threads I've found in searching torque twist. Was this the right way to go? Will moving the axle end of the upper links further away from each other and the center of the axle help fix TT?

3) If I'm already working the uppers and getting only marginal effect will triangulating the lowers take it the rest of the way?

4) I'm using stock Traxxas TMax shocks (the metal ones with the red springs) and 50wt oil Any other suggestions for tuning to these?

5) Should I be playing with shock lay down/upright mounting options at the top of the shock (I have a BUNCH of options).

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

my custom build thread is here:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...01#post2311801
pbarsamian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

There are a few options as to what to do about torque twist. You can play around with the shocks all day long and eventually find something that works, but it gets tedious and annoying. I tend to load the springs with shocks spacers, not a lot, but just a little and it seems to help out a bit. Get too much spacing and it throws the geometry of the rig all out of whack. You could also try different oil weights on the side that is laying over the most.
primus2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Torque twist is when your body rolls to one side when you get on the throttle hard.

It can be improved by using a stronger rear spring on the side that is rolling over or sometimes by just cranking in more preloading on that spring it all depends on how much twist your getting.

There are some pretty good threads regarding suspension issues crawlers are all about suspension.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Take the rear upper link on the side that the chassis leans to and either raise it on the axle end or drop it on the chassis end. This will dial out TT better than any other mod you can do.

Keep in mind that when you do this, you may have to lenthen that link to keep the axle centered.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys. I did raise left/lower right on axle and ended up triangulating my rear bottom links. The final change that made the big difference was adding another spacer on the rear left spring. Not 100% gone but at least 75% better than it was...
pbarsamian is offline   Reply With Quote