Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need help picking a ESC!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Default Need help picking a ESC!

Ok so here we go! I'm relatively new to crawling and I bought my first rig about a month ago. I have the Axial RTC and absolutely love it! One small problem I WANT MORE!!!!! I bought it with the plan to run it a while and slowly upgrade as I saw fit... I am ready to upgrade the electronics and need some help getting the best bang for the buck. I would like to get a new radio, receiver, ESC and BEC (if necessary) for around $250 to $300. Is this even possible? If so what are the brands I should stay away from and the ones I should look at? Any help at all would be awesome!
maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well you can find parts on here for a pretty good deal just go ahead and spend the $20 on a star to view the classifieds it is well worth it. But I think you could find the parts you want for around $300, a castle sidewinder is about $70 new, a cc bec is $20, then you could get something like the spectrum DX3E for $100 and it will come with a reciever then use the other $100 for a good servo and go ahead and get you like an integy 35t or 45t motor and you would be good to go.
landon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

When I was looking at ESC's my personal choices were FXR or HH BR-XL. I ended up going with a combo FXR/45T. If I could do it again I would have gotten the pro handwound 45T motor combo. Most of the ESC are good just look at the future and if you will be running LiPo's. Some of the ESC's have limits on what LiPo levels you can use.
Entropy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would go with a Tekin fxr 55 or 45 turn combo from stromer hobbies for $99 and get one of those dx3e radios for $99 from like RPP and stromer might have them for those prices. Then you can get a stronger servo or a lipo setup and charger. Have fun.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I run Tekins in my Berg, and a Mamba Max in my super. I feel like the best deal to be had would be the Castle Sidewinder. About $70 gets you a pretty capable ESC that you go could go brushless with at a later date. The Homes Crawlmaster ESC costs a little more and you could probably skip a BEC if you run it. But its a few bucks more. While I have Tekins in my Berg if I could fit anything else in there I would. They tend to let loose with the magic smoke more often than the other brands. But they are small and thats a plus.

For a motor, handwounds are great, but for less than half you could have a cheap Integy 35t or 45t motor. If your going to go for the gusto in an axial the Holmes Hobby puller motors are the best hands down. Speed and power all in one.

For a servo I would spend the big bucks. A cheap servo is just that. Cheap. Hitec 480 oz is about $120 from rpp hobby. Dont forget the BEC.

$150 for servo and BEC
$100 for sidewinder and Integy motor
Thats your whole budget at $250. Save a few bucks more and pick up a 2.4 radio. I would not cheap out on the servo. The motor is the place I would skip out on for now. At less than $20 you can try out other winds if your not happy with the wheelspeed you have. Once you figure out the winds you want then order a better handwound motor or even a 7t puller motor.

good luck.

Last edited by The Violator; 02-25-2010 at 09:09 AM.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Since ya didn't include a servo in your wants, it is pretty easy to upgrade the esc and radio for under $300. On an axial I would recommend the HH torquemaster esc which doesn't need a bec and will run 6s lipos!
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=2&page=1
and a futaba 3pm x which has everything ya will need on about any crawler.
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=2233.
Ya can keep the rtc motor for a while. The next thing will be a servo and lipos.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

The Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster ESC is the best choice imo. Easy ajustability, no overheating issues, butter smooth response, and you don't need to buy an external BEC when running up to 3S LiPo and up to about 300-400 in-oz servos. Results can vary a bit when running super strong servos with 3S or more though.

The nice thing about going with the HH is that if you find you need a BEC later. One Castle link can be used to program you BEC and your ESC. Using another brand ESC means having to buy a separate cable to program the ESC.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm with oldhippie: the Holmes ESC with the Futaba radio is a killer combo.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #9

tekin all the way with a dx3r or a dx3s 55t and go with the ccbec
slayer 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

tekin FX-R, 35t HW, DX3E radio and CC BEC
easy on the throttle and you crawl need wheel speed and you will have plenty of it
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #11

35t isent that low??? i run a 55t
slayer 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

not at all just be really easy on the throttle unless you need the wheel speed it works out really good
snail78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
esc