Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie needs help...lots of help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #1

Default Newbie needs help...lots of help

Hello everyone,

I'm completely new to rc crawling my only knowledge comes from some info on the RC Crawler mag and this AWESOME forum.

So I want to get into crawling competition but what is a good beginner setup that I can build into once I get experience?
I know there is 1.9 and 2.2 (super sounds wwwaaayyy too expensive for me!), also since I'm new I have no clue on motors, esc,bec, etc,etc etc, so maybe a RTR or RTC! will be better. It seems a Losi Mini Crawler could be the best bet for a 1.9 and maybe a Comp Crawler (or the nightcrawler that is a RTR) for the 2.2? Accordingt to some comments here the Axial trucks are also a good option but not that many hop ups available, so what else could work for me?

Also was reading about the twin MOA conversion for the comp.night crawler and it seems pretty sweet...once I get my feet wet on the sport and had a clue of what I'm actually doing and many many hours of rock crawling! But would this be something to consider for later on? is this mod legal for 2.2 competition?

Please please any help is appreciate it ! I want to hit the rocks asap!
snakemau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Axial trucks have gobs of aftermarket parts!

What is right for you is what you can afford and what you want to do with it.

Just about any of the rigs you mentioned can work for a beginner and be modded to pro level.

Your best bet would be to take some time, look around the site, read the "sticky"'s that are on the top of each page, and learn a few things. There is a ton of info here, all you need to do is to tap into it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

like duuuuuuude said get a axial there amazing
RCaddictMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Axial is really the best rig for a total newbie. It is very simple to understand with a ton of support and is pretty durable. The stock rtr/rtc electronics suck though. If ya really want to comp and have bucks for the buy in (rather than the nickle an dime down the road ) a berg kit is a great start on a real comp rig.

Oh yeah, don't do a losi moa!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 AM   #5

Our group has 6ax10's and we got them as our first crawlers and love them. I agree the electronics suck. all but one have upgraded them already. Good luck
98zj5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #6

Ok, so then the axial AX10 scorpion kit ARTR will be better then? like this one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVCZ3&P=0

and if so what would be a good electronics set up for it? will need radio, motor, esc, anything else?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemau View Post
Ok, so then the axial AX10 scorpion kit ARTR will be better then? like this one:

and if so what would be a good electronics set up for it? will need radio, motor, esc, anything else?

Let me know what electronics you want and I can hook you up with a good deal.
THE PARTS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #8

well what could be a good deal? what do you recommend me?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
Suck it up!

One of everything on this page...

http://shop.brianshobbyland.net/Castle_c9.htm

A handfull of these...

http://shop.brianshobbyland.net/1300...?categoryId=-1

Two pair of these...

http://shop.brianshobbyland.net/6777...-2-HB67772.htm

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 03-05-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
Suck it up!

One of these to get you started...

http://shop.brianshobbyland.net/Ultr...-HRC32645S.htm

Or one of these if you want to jump right in to the high powered stuff...

http://shop.brianshobbyland.net/HS-7...-HS-7950TH.htm
Old 03-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #11

what motor do I need for that servo? will a novak 55T rooster work or I need a bigger more powerful like a Integy 75 or other?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
what motor do I need for that servo? will a novak 55T rooster work or I need a bigger more powerful like a Integy 75 or other?
You mean what motor do you need for that esc?

I wouldn't go any bigger than the 55t. Anything more will be sloooooow. A 35t or 45t will be just fine. I didn't see any motors on BHL's site though....wud up wit dat?

btw: stuck at the top of the newbie section is a "glossary of terms" thread. Take a few minutes and read through it.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #13

LOL yeah I meant esc not servo! But cool ty for the suggestions. One more question? Is there any difference between the ax10 kit and the ARTR besides one being ensemble and the other one still in parts and bags? and one green parts vs orange? I haven't see no pic of any ax10 with the orange parts which is the ARTR, so was wondering if there were any other differences between both. The only thing i could think will be just the fun part of putting it together yourself instead or just adding electonics....but if I'm wrong please enlight me!
Anyway thank you all for the suggestions!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
Suck it up!

I don't know about the kit. I started with the ARTR...and not much of the original is left.

You might look in the For Sale section for a roller that already has some upgraded parts on it, then hook up with BHL for your electronics. It'll save you some $ in the long run.

To do that, you'll either need to wait 30 days and have 30 posts, or take $20 and support this site by purchasing a star. A star will gain you (nearly) instant access to the FS section, plus you can enter all the vendor giveaways.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #15

Hmmm well you started with the kit and not much left of it? so it isn't that good then? I mean I know you usually upgrade the trucks but on this kit is it that bad then? is there any other kit that will work better? or it will be the same anyway with any kit?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
RCC Addict

The Losi's are much better platforms than Axial, you can focus on setup and driving rather than on replacing broken parts and changing everything so it works.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #17
Suck it up!

The ARTR is far from bad...but one thing leads to another and pretty soon you've got a whole new truck.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have no idea what Axial's are like, I've seen a few and they seem to crawl good. I do know what a LCC is like and that's awesome.

I've had mine for about a month, only had it on rocks 2 times, both at comps.

Finished dead last the first time but had a blast and lucked into 3rd place (out of 13) the second time on rocks. So you gotta know it's a capable crawler
sledge57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #19

What about the Bully 1/10 rock crawler prebuild ARTR with the Bully 2 alloy/machined axle ? how does it compares with the axial ax10? or is this like comparing apples to oranges? if so what would you select?

Last edited by snakemau; 03-05-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What about the Bully 1/10 rock crawler prebuild ARTR with the Bully 2 alloy/machined axle ? how does it compares with the axial ax10? or is this like comparing apples to oranges? if so what would you select?
The bullys are all but bullet proof. They are much better than an axial out of the box but it is an apples/shafty to oranges/MOA thing. Really any atr/artr kit will need upgrading at some point. How much is up to you. Again if you are serious about wanting to comp, a berg kit is the best start imho.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote