Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: pinion size help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #1

Default pinion size help

hey i have a lcc with a 21.5 brushless exceleron, and i am running a 21 tooth pinion... after reading alot of post it seems like a 21 tooth pinion is high... should i get a new pinion. will this pinion cause damage to anything?
thanks for any help
thanks
perez62682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by perez62682 View Post
hey i have a lcc with a 21.5 brushless exceleron, and i am running a 21 tooth pinion... after reading alot of post it seems like a 21 tooth pinion is high... should i get a new pinion. will this pinion cause damage to anything?
thanks for any help
thanks
I am no expert on rc gearing but I do know a little about gearing in general as I own several mx bikes the 21 tooth pinoin my be too high a gearing for crawling depending on your spur gear Robinson racing makes a pinion gear starter kit that contains six pinions odd or even sizes the pinion you have shouldnt hurt anything as long as your not overtaxing your motor with it, a lower toothed pinion will give you more torque with less overall speed same applies with installing a bigger spur gear just remember more torque = more power applied to gear train just make shure if you buy a new pinion its the same pitch as the original spur otherwise they won't be compatible with each other, resulting in chewed up gears. If your comfortable with the torque and wheel speed your getting now then your ok. if not try a smaller pinion no harm no foul the advantage with the robinson spur gear kit is it allows you to experiment with different gear ratios for a resonable cost (kit cost approx 12 bucks) just dont forget to set your gear mesh so you dont chew stuff up. hope this helped you out
cr500rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500rider View Post
I am no expert on rc gearing but I do know a little about gearing in general as I own several mx bikes the 21 tooth pinoin my be too high a gearing for crawling depending on your spur gear Robinson racing makes a pinion gear starter kit that contains six pinions odd or even sizes the pinion you have shouldnt hurt anything as long as your not overtaxing your motor with it, a lower toothed pinion will give you more torque with less overall speed same applies with installing a bigger spur gear just remember more torque = more power applied to gear train just make shure if you buy a new pinion its the same pitch as the original spur otherwise they won't be compatible with each other, resulting in chewed up gears. If your comfortable with the torque and wheel speed your getting now then your ok. if not try a smaller pinion no harm no foul the advantage with the robinson spur gear kit is it allows you to experiment with different gear ratios for a resonable cost (kit cost approx 12 bucks) just dont forget to set your gear mesh so you dont chew stuff up. hope this helped you out
you mention setting mesh. I was told by local shop guy that you only want just a minimal amount of lash? Do you know of any way to measure this? Or is trial and error? I don't mean to thread hijack but kinda goes with what's being discussed
es79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

some people are good at setting mesh by feel or u can put paper between the gears to set the mesh. for a 21.5t in a losi a 14-16t is best bet
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Oh, I'm running axial rtr stock motor with a 12t. My lash is prob close to that?, maybe? I will check it…
es79 is offline   Reply With Quote