Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Venom - Did I smoke my motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #1

Default Venom - Did I smoke my motor?

I just bought and put together a Venom and was pretty excited about my first RC experience in about 15 years. Initially I had problems with set screws coming loose and stuff coming apart (drive shafts!!!). Eventually I had a pin back out at the front hub and It caught the housing and wouldn't allow full rotation.

After we put the pin back in I had no forward or reverse. No noise. No grinding - NOTHING. When I held the throttle down and pushed the buggy in that direction it would go. Once it stopped, it wouldn't start on it's own again.

What did I do? I'm thinking that I was giving it throttle while it was bound up and burned the motor up - a little.

It's a a Venom 50T and I have a 55 T on the way.

I can still turn the tires by hand and see the transmission is still working just fine.

What did I do?
bradkanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

dont buy the venom motor they are the worst motors ive ever used! ive done that to 2 motors that where venom and other motors ive never had that prob just buy a cheap intgey 55t motor ive never had a prob with mine (only integy product worth using)
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I had basically the same problem with a 21 turn venom motor seems to be a common problem with them. contant venom they will replace it, then go from there. Im still afraid to try my replacement figure next time it might smoke my esc.
cr500rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If the truck will run after you push it and wont after it stops, then it sounds like you have a stuck brush. Try pulling back on the brush, then let it go and see if that helps your problem. If not, replace the brushes and springs on the motor.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Charge the battery?
subyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I didnt see the point in starting a whole other thread about the same thing ... My Losi Comp Crawler has been binding up really bad the past few times i have run it. I dont know if its the motor or the tranny or the worm gears or what it could be. It will usually climb ok the first minute or two but after a few minutes it starts binding up every time you try to climp the slightest hill or obstacle. I can usually reverse it and it will go another couple of feet and then start doing it all over again. Plus the motor gets too hot too quick now. Either way im going to buy a new motor after work today. SOooo if that not the problem then i guess its the tranny and i dread taking that thing apart. Anybody know what could be causing this?
J-Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Fish View Post
Anybody know what could be causing this?
How much runtime do you have on your current motor? A lot? If so, then like I said above, it might just have a brush that is periodically getting stuck and need replacing. You can try to diagnose the problem by pulling the motor from the tranny and running it in your hand for a while to try and replicate the problem. Remember, remove the pinion gear first...dont wanna grind up your skin!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yea im gettin a new motor today after work. just havnt figured out which one or what kind yet. I may go brushless but im affraid a 21.5 turn brushless wont have the torque of a 55 or 65 brushed. Someone told me a 21.5 brushless converts to a 37 turn brushed. And a 37 turn dosent have the torque of a 55 or 65 ..... is this correct? I just want raw slow pulling power, i dont care about speed!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Yes, the lower the number, the higher the RPM and lower torque.

I dont know how that brushless motor compares to a brushed.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

i thought that was right. Thats why im kinda affraid to go brushless. im affraid it wont have the torque of the 55 turn. Too bad they dont make a higher turn brushless crawling motor like a 37 turn brushless or something like that. That would probably have around the same torque as a 55 turn brushed and still be a brushless and have the advantages of a brushless!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

You might want to browse the Losi Comp Crawler forum. There are a LOT of guys there running brushless motors. However, most of them run Sensored motor/ESC combos. They will usually put out higher torque numbers.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

yeah i thought about getting a sensored but i would have to change my ESC. i was thinking about upgrading to the Tekkin anyway.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Fish View Post
i thought that was right. Thats why im kinda affraid to go brushless. im affraid it wont have the torque of the 55 turn. Too bad they dont make a higher turn brushless crawling motor like a 37 turn brushless or something like that. That would probably have around the same torque as a 55 turn brushed and still be a brushless and have the advantages of a brushless!
my goat 18.5t system ill be honest with you, i think it has more tourqe than a 55t (havent ran the goat im my axial) the goat is an awsom system! i ran a 55t in my losi and it wouldnt crawl up a wall itd stall as soon as the tires hit the wall, with the goat it will go up and flip it self over

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 04-01-2010 at 09:22 AM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Oh really? If i get the brushless goat i really want to get the 21.5 turn. BUt then i will deff have to get another esc

Tags
50t, motors, venom