Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: AX10 Shocks, Knuckle, and Tire upgrade Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #1

Default AX10 Shocks, Knuckle, and Tire upgrade Questions

upgrading a stock ax10, whats the difference and what else would I have to upgrade/change going to a longer shock? I like the junfac zero's in black but wow they cannot be found. I'll either settle for axial comp shocks, or go with a longer junfac which can be found.

Thanks.

I'm upgrading my stocker ax10 knuckles to the vanquish high steer set, will anything else need to be upgraded/changed for these to work?

I'm looking for a bigger set of meats, I have the stock ax10 wheels which I think are 2.2's and a set of losi tires. I love the tires but I'm getting swallowd up by these east texas rock piles lol. What can I get thats got a little more size to it?

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 04-15-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Don't need 3 separate posts in the same forum
JeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Hot Bodies rovers at 5.5" OD, Panther leopards at 5.4" OD, RC4WD Xlocks at 5.5" OD, HPI rock grabbers at 5.5 OD.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #3

sweet, I'll be getting one of those sets today, thanks sir

HPI rock grabbers ftw. Those look like my old Mikey T baja claws, favorite meats to ever roll on.

Last edited by JeepXJ; 04-16-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The Hot Bodies rovers at 5.5" OD white dot(soft) are the best tire around.

Might look into the LD bta kit from RPPhobby its a great upgrade.
92LILREDYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #5

Those are what my buddies running on his, gotta be different lol.

Lost my pinion gear while crawling at lunch today, no spare of course...awesome.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

losi or big bore shocks/HB's or Panther tires/VP knuckles
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJ View Post
Lost my pinion gear while crawling at lunch today, no spare of course...awesome.
Locktite is your friend!

Why are ya looking at longer shocks????? The stock axial skocks are too long to begin with. Ya want something around the 4"/90mm lenght. Look at losi 4" crawler shocks,
http://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDetai...tCode=LOSA5082
Traxxas long big bores
http://www.rcsuperstore.com/ProductD...A2660&CartID=1
Or even the Duratrax evader shocks
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ssing%20Data**

And if ya need to be different get some Hot Body Sedonas.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Tire-White-2

Last edited by oldhippie; 04-17-2010 at 11:15 AM.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #8

I was told that a longer shock would allow more articulation, is that not accurate?
what's the outer diameter on those Sedonas, its not listed on the link you posted. those do look pretty sweet, do you use them?

Last edited by JeepXJ; 04-19-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #9

another reason I was looking at the 124mm shocks is just that you can find them for sale lol. I want to order the junfac zero's but thats all they have in stock is the 124's. I guess I could get the 90's with the internal spring setup but I dont like the way they look as much.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #10

I got my Sedona's and memory foams installed and all I can say is wow, this is like putting your truck in easy mode. Even when I was broken shafted and running rwd only I could easily do more stuff than the losi tires could do in 4wd.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

true a longer shock will allow more articulation, but it also raises your CG and more articulation just gets you bound up, a 4inch shock has more than enough articulation. a good max flex before you start lifting a tire is 6-7incehs (i run about 6 and 3/4in) other wise your rig wants to twist up into its self and flip
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #12

With the longer shocks your looking at you have the choice of swapping the springs so they run more of a droop set up, so they won't raise the CG to much and they will help with break over. I am running my ax10 stock shocks no springs, I am thinking of getting the same shocks.
Crawlingcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlingcanuck View Post
With the longer shocks your looking at you have the choice of swapping the springs so they run more of a droop set up, so they won't raise the CG to much and they will help with break over. I am running my ax10 stock shocks no springs, I am thinking of getting the same shocks.
you see any national champ/ECC/worlds winners using droop set-ups? didnt think so! i tried droop on my old edge tuber and hated it! its verry unpredictable compared to a sprung set-up
Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #14

2500hdon37s,
are you running the longer shocks?

I"m still not able to locate a set of these things in the stock replacement size. Jeez lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
you see any national champ/ECC/worlds winners using droop set-ups? didnt think so! i tried droop on my old edge tuber and hated it! its verry unpredictable compared to a sprung set-up
This is a little bit of topic, but on the subject of shock setup, I too, have a TCS Edge tuber and my initial impression was that the droop setup is iffy at best. I did back to back tests with the Edge/droop setup w/the Edge internal springs and the stock AX10 TVP sprung setup (including the EXTRA FIRM stock springs) and the stock setup came up on top everytime.

The droop setup kept getting hung up and seemed to not have as much front bite as the sprung setup. It seems you are forced to have to run 5.5" OD tires to get around the low ground clearance issue. I haven't complete given up on it yet, but I think the key thing to remember is that with a full droop setup, your CG is already as low as it's going to get, and any type of suspension flex will raise your CG because the dampers are extending--hence some of the unpredictability stated by droop users. There may be some very specific situations (climbing up a sandpaper test board at 70 degrees) where a droop setup is clearly superior, but I think there is a reason for why very few comps are won with the droop setup--they are very difficult to set up correctly.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

White dot Rovers are the way to go, but if you have to get something different get the Xlocks (expensive). As far as shocks go I run stock axial shocks with T-max springs (red) to lower my ride height. Can not beat Vanquish high clearance knuckles. Just my opinion.
KRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJ View Post
2500hdon37s,
are you running the longer shocks?

I"m still not able to locate a set of these things in the stock replacement size. Jeez lol.
nope i ran stock shocks then got rid of the rig before i got a chance to swap shocks like i wanted to