Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: do i need a bec to run this servo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #1

Default do i need a bec to run this servo?

i dont have a bec and im wondering if i could get some wisdom on the question of this servo needing a bec? thanks guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Metal-Gear-To...item35a8e72e6d
Gear.Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

If you were running a Holmes Hobbies ESC.....no, you wouldn't need one.

The internal BEC's in an ESC will push what they say at low voltage. Once you start adding cells to your main battery,the BEC will push less. Higher voltage gets you a weaker internal BEC. That's one reason external BEC's are used. 3 cell lipo's are just about standard issue for a crawler today.

Here's an example.

A Tekin FXR's BEC is rated at 6.0V / 3.0A. If your running a 2 cell lipo or a 6 cell NiMH pack,the BEC would push what it's rated. Going from a 2 cell lipo to a 3 cell lipo,the 6.0V / 3.0A rating would diminish considerably.

A Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL,they've got an internal 6v/5a switchmode BEC that will push that no matter if you've got a 2 cell lipo plugged in or a 4 cell lipo plugged in.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:36 AM   #3

i just use an xl-5, was a build of leftover parts. and im running nimh saddle packs, 8 and 6s, so no lipo either. im just a little under average here heh. i heard that servo is really hit or miss, is it worth ordering?>
Old 04-29-2010, 02:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear.Head View Post
i just use an xl-5, was a build of leftover parts. and im running nimh saddle packs, 8 and 6s, so no lipo either. im just a little under average here heh. i heard that servo is really hit or miss, is it worth ordering?>
Hi, I'm new here. I think this may be my first post, dont remember. But I'm a RC heli pilot and I have extensive servo knowlage. I'm not famalier with your rig, but the BEC is almost always a good thing to have if your considering upgrades. If your draw on your packs is well within the range of your ESC's built in BEC ( if it has one at all) then your ok. Bit if upgrades are nowhere near finished, it can never hurt to have an external Bec. The Castle Creations non pro bec is a great choice IMO.
As for the servo? Are you looking for speed or power. I study the Futaba and Hitec servo charts like it was a religion! Ha ha.
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
www.team3sixrc.com

Geared. Yes, your correct that the tower pro mg servo is a hit or miss product. I have heard some use it with great success. And others hate it. If your looking for a cheaper servo, I might suggest you look at a hitec 645mg. If your hard or at a competition level, well I would invest in the $70-120.00 range for a more durable servo. In all actuality, its s better investment for a titanium servo as compared to the number of times you'll replace the lower grade servo which might I add, are metal gears for the most part. But with plastic gears. Installed as well. Bec's on the other hand are mainly standard on most esc models. But the average is capable to handle 2 cells. So if you want to comp. Rules require a 3 cell, but your esc is only able to handle 2 cell. Purchase a bec. Set it for a voltage of 7.4v and I.stall it. No more worries of possible overloading our overpowering your electronics. A bec is a voltage regulator.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #6

thanks a lot guys. and stu thanks for the knowledge and pointing out that hitec servo, im gonna look into that. just ordered some badass aluminum piggyback shocks for my rig by 3 racing. i appreciate the help!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

well your welcome, and the name isnt stu,lol
read the whole name a few times and youll get it.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #8

im gonna kill myself for real im a noob!