Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: rock courses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default rock courses

I am still pretty new to crawling and have just been out playing on some rocks at the local dam. Now my question is when it comes to people who put on comps how do you know where to put the gates? I have trird some lines that just seem impossible to get up. I really need to get to a comp some time then I will see first hand some diffrent layouts. Any help or suggestions as to the size rocks I should be crawling on.
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

to a search on youtube for rc crawler comps
lot of 'em out there
should be pretty easy to get some ideas
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Most crawlers, even stock will find a way over almost anything, get some gates and set them up you will be amazed at how much harder a section is to crawl if you need to go between a set of gates. At most comps the gates are set up, only after you see how they are set up and know how your rig reacts you can judge how hard the course will be.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I'm still pretty new to crawling as well, but I 100% agree, that gates will make it a lot more difficult. I've been making some micro courses and I almost thought they were too easy...Until I started adding gates. I can make some spots undoable, (without more mods or setup changes). It will completely change your driving. I think there are even some comp videos on this site in the video section, you should check out.
ba450crf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I just ran my first comp at an indoor course that I probably spent 4hrs crawling on in previous weeks. But once the gates were added it was completly different ( harder than H@##). Spent a week of evenings Tweaking and got about 50% better. Best thing go to a comp compete and learn what needs changing,ask questions good luck
401jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Best thig you can do, is practice, practice, practice. Try HARD lines, even things you think are going to be impossible. That will teach you what you need to work on or tweak to get it to make the line. Try grabbing ledges with ONE tire and seeing if you can pull your rig up with the right amount of bump or speed.
You almost need to learn what NOT to do before you find out what you'll be capable of doing.
I run an MOA rig for comps after running shafties for over a year, they are different rigs for sure but the training is still the same. go after what seems impossible.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

thanks for the advice I guess I need to make a trip to brianshobbyland to try out his course I think that will be the closest for me
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote