Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Cool New crawler

Hey guys im new to the crawling scene Ive been tinkering with my new axial ive switched out the stock socks with intigy shocks I put softer spings in there to allow more flex. I got a 55 turn motor, I replaced the foam with memory foam still got the stock tires. Ive changed alot of the screws with flush ones for less hang ups. Ive also added weight to the front rims. Ive got bent arms for the front and rear. I was wonder what other adjustments I could make to make it more comp ready Id like to jump into the comp scene soon.

Last edited by carp40; 05-10-2010 at 03:01 AM.
carp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It looks like you have a nice start.

Suggestions:
-Only allow no more than 50deg of flex (imo).
-Loose the integy shock (junk, leak like a sive). Get Losi 4" or Traxxas big bores.
-Loose the stock tires (Rock Lizards). Get anything Pro-Line, Losi, or panther brand.

Potential upgrades:
-MIP Axial CVD's (a must have) http://www.tcscrawlers.com/MIP-CVD-F...0-p-16873.html
-C's: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-Rac...5-p-17308.html
-Knuckles: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-Rac...6-p-17309.html

Last edited by Blood_Clod; 05-10-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default New crawler

Thanks for the info I still got alot of modding in minde. Is there really a benifit to going to a brushless system compared to a brushed? Also I was thinking about getting a 3 channel radio and trying a dig unit is it worth the upgrade cost?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp40 View Post
Thanks for the info I still got alot of modding in minde. Is there really a benifit to going to a brushless system compared to a brushed? Also I was thinking about getting a 3 channel radio and trying a dig unit is it worth the upgrade cost?

-Brushless is nice, but not needed for the Ax-10. 35-45 turn brushed is my preferance.

-That's going to be a $150-200 propesition. (All used): radio w/ 3 position/$50-100, dig/$50, servo/$20, aluminum horn/$7, and whatever the equivilant of $1,500 of you sanity trying to get it to work smoothe . It depends if you plan on competeing i guess. It's awesome for just messing around too, but competeing would justify the cost more...

Last edited by Blood_Clod; 05-11-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default New crawler

Great info I think im going to go and grab some Losi Rock Claws today. I just purchased a Dremel today so ill be able to get a lot of modding done.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Great info I think im going to go and grab some Losi Rock Claws today. I just purchased a Dremel today so ill be able to get a lot of modding done.

Look out, he done got him a dremel!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #7

Yeah, looks like you got a good start, and alot of good ideas going.
vwboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Show your build dude
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default Busy day.

For some reason it wont let me add pics today. But today I did some modding I modded the bottom skid plate I cut out all four corners and moved the connecting rods from the outside of the chassie to the inside. And I modded where I mount the connecting rods and shocks to the front and rear axels. I got a longer screw and added a spacer and put the connecting rod in the shock mount spot and mounted the shocks on the inner out side of the bracket where the shock and connecting rod did connect they are straighter and they seem to binde less then stock. And I added Losi Rock Claws.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #10

Have you done anything with the wheels yet? Drill two hole in each wheel 180 deg. apart, put in lead wheel weights (more in front), cut foams. The new AXIAL aluminum shocks are great. I would recommend the NOVAK GOAT brushless system, but I think brushed vs. brushless is really more of an individual personal preffernce thing as far as rock crawling is concerned.
muddyninja1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

maybe if you really want to get into the comp scene you should go to a comp and see what everyone is running. Dont be afraid to ask questions most people dont mind giving advise especially if it involves bragging on their newest idea. I just hate to see people spend money on the wrong thing.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreeper View Post
maybe if you really want to get into the comp scene you should go to a comp and see what everyone is running. Dont be afraid to ask questions most people dont mind giving advise especially if it involves bragging on their newest idea. I just hate to see people spend money on the wrong thing.

Good advise.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Dont spend anymore cash unless its on a servo for starts . Trust me you will appreciate this . Go for a minimum of 200oz .

BTW if the claws dont work for you try rovers or chisels or sipe em since you have a new rotary tool .
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks I think I got a pretty good servo a Hitec HS645 Mg. I just did the CKRC Stage 2 but I didn't buy the kit I made every thing. It made a huge difference in how the truck articulates.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Clod View Post
It looks like you have a nice start.
agree

Suggestions:
-Only allow no more than 50deg of flex (imo).
-Loose the integy shock (junk, leak like a sive). Get Losi 4" or Traxxas big bores. I have the losi shocks and they also leak, but from what i'm learning all shocks seem to leak.
-Loose the stock tires (Rock Lizards). Get anything Pro-Line, Losi, or panther brand. Rovers, Rovers, Rovers...white dot Rovers, If not think about the comp claws over the rock claws, the sedonas are cool but wider.

Potential upgrades:
-MIP Axial CVD's (a must have) http://www.tcscrawlers.com/MIP-CVD-F...0-p-16873.html
I'm still running the stock dog bones with no issues, I put some MIP CVDs in and the pin broke with in 5 min of crawling, same thing has happened to others....I think the MIP cvd's suck bad.
-C's: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-Rac...5-p-17308.html
-Knuckles: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-Rac...6-p-17309.html
A must have, especially if you upgrade to a better servo. I have the hs-7950 and i was breaking the plastic knuckles and c hubs in minutes

Quote:
Brushed is fine for Axials and cheaper too. Dig is awesome but not a must have for a beginner comp. No dig allowed in sportsman class, plus driving for awhile without dig will make you a better driver in my opinion. Just add dig as money allows and I recommend the VP Hurtz Dig. Save the 645 servo for the dig because you will want to upgrade that servo soon. I don't know why everyone thinks the 645 is a good crawler servo....not even on a mini crawler.

Quote:
again.....rovers

Quote:
Thanks I think I got a pretty good servo a Hitec HS645 Mg. I just did the CKRC Stage 2 but I didn't buy the kit I made every thing. It made a huge difference in how the truck articulates.
again the servo will need to go eventually....to elaborate....when you start comping you'll have times when you need to use the steering to wiggle the crawler around on the rocks, or even help in a tight spot. The 645 just doesn't get the job done. It's expensive but I recommend the hs-7950 or as mentioned by another something in the 400oz range.

Consider a new chassis as money allows also....and Lipo.....Bec......list goes on....

this is all just my opinion and no matter what have fun with that bad boy
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote