Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: MOA or shaft driven crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MOA or shaft driven crawler

I have a question which crawler is better option MOA driven or shaft and why?
Thanks for the help i was looking to buy Axial AX10 Scorpion 1/10th 4WD Electric R/C Rock Crawler Kit.
But now that xr10 come one i wonder if the MOA makes really big difference.Thanks for all the help
cliffhanger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

BIG DIFFERENTS!!! Go MOA and you wont look back unless you want a scaler (only good thing a drive shaft is for).
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

there are two major advantages that i know of for an moa rig and those are axle clearance and low center of gravity. there are many pros and cons to both kinds and you really have to see which one fits your style. i love my ax 10 for going up the trails and around the yard but for comp i have a moa simply cause it seemed to perform better for me and my style of driving.
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If ya want to bash, get the shafty. If ya want to comp, get the Moa. It's as simple as that.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I am also thinking of going from a shafty (heavily modified WK) to some sort of moa. I don't do any comps, just bashing. I want something that works better for climbing and want to get rid of the torque twist. Would a moa be best for this or keep working on what I have? What are the drawbacks of a moa for bashing?
stolps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolps View Post
I am also thinking of going from a shafty (heavily modified WK) to some sort of moa. I don't do any comps, just bashing. I want something that works better for climbing and want to get rid of the torque twist. Would a moa be best for this or keep working on what I have? What are the drawbacks of a moa for bashing?
Extra motor/electronics/gearbox = $ & complexity. An Axial is just simpler, more reliable, easier to fix and cheaper. Torque twist is easily controlled with proper link design/placement/setup. If ya want to bash a moa I would recommend a bully (or maybe wait for the new Axial).
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
Extra motor/electronics/gearbox = $ & complexity. An Axial is just simpler, more reliable, easier to fix and cheaper. Torque twist is easily controlled with proper link design/placement/setup. If ya want to bash a moa I would recommend a bully (or maybe wait for the new Axial).

X2. The Bully would be a great bulletproof axle to go with for bashing around.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Downside to moa is clodstall unless you run dual esc's and batteries the otherdownside is less room behind the axle because of the motor,not to mention the cost of 2 motors,2esc's,2batteries.

Downside to a shafty is the clearance at the driveshaft,torque twist,only 1 motor means half the power ,less weight at the axle and higher center of gravity.

Im no expert those are just my experiences/opinions
Both have their ups and downs but I think a clod is just slightlly more capable
Dabandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Forgot to mention even clodstall has its advantages biggest being power going to free wheel means your far less likelly to ruin your drivetrain in a jam. I use stall to my advantage more than it hinders me and have made no effort to eliminate it I've only lessened it ,and learned to love it
Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have owned both moa and shafty, 2.2 and super, in the end it does come down to the driver knowing his rig and its limits and abilities. IMHO
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i think i will go with ARTR AX10 becouse no need for two esc,bateries big savings here fore sure still have to make mine mind
cliffhanger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I agree that the ARTR Axial is a good rig but to just clear up a few things.I run 1 ESC on my Berge setup with great success.There maybe some advantages to 2 esc's yes! but a single works very well and as for battery's there is still just 1 battery and I use a 1300 3s for playing and a 850 3s for comps with super run times .So in the end there is just the cost of 1 more motor and a punk dig is cheaper than a dig for the Axial and no extra servo is needed.I just did not want you to be clouded with people making the MOA sound to involved.
Dennis P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
I agree that the ARTR Axial is a good rig but to just clear up a few things.I run 1 ESC on my Berge setup with great success.There maybe some advantages to 2 esc's yes! but a single works very well and as for battery's there is still just 1 battery and I use a 1300 3s for playing and a 850 3s for comps with super run times .So in the end there is just the cost of 1 more motor and a punk dig is cheaper than a dig for the Axial and no extra servo is needed.I just did not want you to be clouded with people making the MOA sound to involved.

Yup.I also run one ESC with no noticeable clod stall.The punk rules,and is dead easy and effective.3S runs forever for me too.Choosing the right components goes a long way.If you spend a bit more for the MOA,it will probably pay off in performance.My 2 cents.
Speed Metal Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

To clarify you dont NEED to run 2 escs or batts unless your trying to eliminate clodstall 100%,I dont and I enjoy what little clodstall I do get. Sry if i confused anyone. Was only trying to point out a moa will stall and a shafty wont,and what steps are required to 100% alleviate stall.

I'd buy the moa......rs10 available for 150$ rtr (artr lol) runs circles around my old scorpion
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #15

I second Dabandit1, i have had my RS10 for less than 3 weeks and it is a blast. For 150.00 rtr cant go wrong and the electronics inside can run 540 motors also if you wanted to go to different axles later on. But with the rs10 get a lipo cutoff or make sure not to drain your lipo's or you will kill them. In my opinion though, if i had the money i would go bully or berg the money you are going to put in an axial or an rs10 can be put towards a rtr bully and have a way better rig.
TIMBERDOVII is offline   Reply With Quote