Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: ax10 steering radius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

Default ax10 steering radius

Is there any way to shorten the turning radius on a stock ax10. Right now it seems like it takes an acre to turn! Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Dig and/or rear steer.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

i heard switching the upper steering arm from the servo to the drivers side to passengers side helps alot.
fastwest433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

The cheapest (comp legal) alternative would be a set of cvd's, high clearance knuckles like the VP's, and a servo stretcher if your radio cannot adjust servo throw)

Then a dig. but then you'd need a 3ch radio. this will provide the tightest turning radius when going forward.

If you already have a 3 ch radio, going for rear steer would be the cheapest (on the assumption that you DON'T have rear axle lockouts) Rear steer is NOT comp legal in the 2.2 class though.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions, now I know what to work on. Thanks
swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The easy way to get more steering is to start by doing the simple little mod in the first post here Zero ackerman steering for you AX-10 Next, if you haven't already done it, lose the servo saver and install a heavy duty plastic servo arm. Then replace the screws that secure the 'C's with countersunk screws so the knuckles can turn further. The stock CVD's can handle it, don't worry. And make sure your servo can reach and hold max steering angle whilst driving it. These few simple things will get you a bunch more steering than stock.

If that's not enough for you, you are up for upgrade 'C's and CVD shafts as already mentioned.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Super 300 cvd's and wide offset front wheels, she will turn nice.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
The easy way to get more steering is to start by doing the simple little mod in the first post here Zero ackerman steering for you AX-10 Cheers.
I've searched this forum before, and the above thread gives one of the more accurate explanations on the Ackermann effect.

You don't have to go as far as making those plates that bolt onto the steering knuckles to get a little positive Ackermann--simply slide a thin .25-.5mm washer between the rod end and lower steering link (make sure you have the same thickness on each side (you can view the link above and see that the author uses much thicker spacers because of the fabricated steering knuckle plates).

Generally, if you run a little toe-out, you will have a little positive Ackermann and vice versa if you run a little toe-in (the stock geometry of the AX-10).
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.M. View Post
I've searched this forum before, and the above thread gives one of the more accurate explanations on the Ackermann effect.

You don't have to go as far as making those plates that bolt onto the steering knuckles to get a little positive Ackermann--simply slide a thin .25-.5mm washer between the rod end and lower steering link (make sure you have the same thickness on each side (you can view the link above and see that the author uses much thicker spacers because of the fabricated steering knuckle plates).

Generally, if you run a little toe-out, you will have a little positive Ackermann and vice versa if you run a little toe-in (the stock geometry of the AX-10).
Actually, the idea of the little plates is to get exactly zero ackerman, not pos or neg, to get the best steering. Also, it's the cheap DIY way, we all like that!

The knuckle arms are at quite an angle, it will take a lot of toe out to even approach zero ackerman, let alone positive. I expected that would hurt me so I went with the little plates. Easy to do, worked great.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
TSK
Shelf queen

going with cvd's and VP knuckles will esily get you 45* or steering under the assumption that your radio allows your servo to do so.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote