Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: A NEWB'S COMP Season Series Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default A NEWB'S COMP Season Series Experience

A NEWB'S COMP Season Series Experience, Yes I'm still a newb, but a learning one. Wasn't sure if this goes here or the chit chat section.

Ok, my local club just finished up our series last week, and what a great series it was. SDRCRC club didn't disappoint, we added a new location to our area, and had different podium finishers. It was a learning experience.

This is my 3rd year with the club, and my first full season running my Berg, so from an AX10 with no dig to a Berg with front and rear dig, I now have experienced the crawler scene and I'm here to compete.

I've learned that set-ups, and practice are key to feeling confident about your rig and how it will handle. and why I say this is because I have gone through TO MANY CHANGES with my crawler for this past season. The first 2 comps are the only 2 that my set-up was the same. For the rest of the season I was fighting with a different set-up for each comp, and at the end of every comp I wanted to QUIT, man what a learning experience.

Nice to have guys in the club who are willing to help or give good advice, thanks guys. But wait a minute, I want to be the best RC Crawler in the world, I don't have time to quit. smok'em if you got'em..

Set-up at 1st/2nd Comp: WOHLFORD/ EL MONTE PARK
berg v1 axles
downtown chassis/links
losi 4" shocks - white springs 45 oil
mechanical dig switch
2 45T lathe motors
mayhem's double fatties - loaded all ball bearings in each wheel, 2 aluminum front/delrin rear
rovers with proline memory foams
novak rooster
2 cell lipo
hi-tec 645 servo
traxxas TQ3 mod 3 position switch
proline decender body
September 12th Lake Wohlford (northside) PLACED 22/28
October 10th El Monte Park PLACED 17/19

Set-up at 3 comp: BARONA
berg v1 axles
downtown chassis/links
mechanical dig switch
2 45T lathe motors
mayhem's double fatties - loaded all ball bearings in each wheel, 2 aluminum front/delrin rear
novak rooster
2 cell lipo
I FRIED MY 2 cell lipo, and couldn't buy a new one, so I had to use a 6-cell stick pack, which made my rig 1 whole pound heavier. My rig was to heavy for my style of driving. I should have never competed with this setup. STICK PACKS AND BERGS DON'T MIX.
hi-tec 645 servo
proline crowd pleaser body
November 14th Barona PLACED 19/22

Set-up at 4 comp CANCEL DUE TO RAIN
December 12th CANCELED DUE TO RAIN

Set-up at 5 comp DEL CERRO
berg v1 axles
downtown chassis/links
PUNK DIG
2 45T lathe motors
mayhem's double fatties - TOOK OUT ALL THE BALL BEARINGS, 2 aluminum front/delrin rear
novak rooster
6-cell stick pack - STICK PACKS AND BERGS DON'T MIX.
hi-tec 645 servo
January 9th DEL CERRO PLACED 15/16

Set-up at 6 comp RAINY DAY COMP. should have stayed home, but I didn't. WOHLFORD
berg v1 axles
downtown chassis/links
PUNK DIG
2 45T lathe motors
mayhem's double fatties - TOOK OUT ALL THE BALL BEARINGS, 2 aluminum front/delrin rear
novak rooster
7-cell stick pack - HAD TO USE MY SLASH BATTERY, still no lipo, STILL WAY TO HEAVY
hi-tec 645 servo
Febuary 6th Lake Wohlford (southside) DEAD LAST 16/16

Set-up at 7 comp DEL CERRO
berg v1 axles
downtown chassis/links
PUNK DIG
2 45T lathe motors
novak rooster
7-cell stick pack - HAD TO USE MY SLASH BATTERY, still no lipo, STILL WAY TO HEAVY
hi-tec 645 servo
March 13th DEL CERRO PLACED 14/16

Set-up at 8 comp RANCHO BERNARDO COMM. PARK
berg v1 axles
downtown chassis/links
PUNK DIG
2 45T lathe motors
mayhem's double fatties - TOOK OUT ALL THE BALL BEARINGS, 2 aluminum front rovers with proline memory foams/ SENT DELRIN WHEELS TO MAYHEM FOR REPLACEMENTS.
TREDAY, HELPED ME OUT AND LET ME BARROW HIS MAYHEM 7'S ALUMINUM REARS WITH ROVERS/PROLINE STAGE2 FOAMS THANKS TREDAY
TEKIN FX-R
3 cell lipo- FINALLY WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN POWER, F_CK YA BABY...
hi-tec 645 servo
LOSI CRAWLER BODY
April 10th Rancho Bernardo Comm. Park PLACED 14/15

Set-up at FINALS WOHLFORD
berg v1 axles
downtown chassis/links
PUNK DIG
2 45T lathe motors
mayhem's double fatties - took out all ball bearings, 2 aluminum front/GOT MY WHEELS BACK FROM MAYHEM delrin rear - rovers with STOCK ROVER FOAMS ( WHAT A DIFFERENCE FROM THE PROLINE MEMORY FOAMS, SHOULD HAVE NEVER USED THEM).
TEKIN FX-R
3 cell lipo- FINALLY WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN POWER, F_CK YA BABY...
hi-tec 645 servo
LOSI CRAWLER BODY
May 15th FINALS Lake Wohlford (southside) PLACED 15/22

My goal at the finals was to finish 1 course out of 4 and I ended up finishing 3 of the 4, Which for me is a big step up. Changing set-ups in the middle of a series without proper practice turned out to be a BAD LEARNING Experience. I will not let this happen next season.
If I'm right RAUL DUKE (long time crawler and founder of SDRCRC) never changed his set-up all season and he did well due to the fact that he knew what his crawler was capable of doing.

As you can see I placed toward the end of the pack ( the wrong end of the line ). But I'm learning and HAVING FUN.

So for all you newbs, starting or wanting to compete. Set-up and practice, practice, practice...
my 2 cents:
STICK PACKS AND BERGS DON'T MIX.
PROLINE MEMORY FOAMS - DON'T USE THEM
DON'T ENTER A COMP IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO PRACTICE WITH YOUR CURRENT SET-UP.

UPGRADES FOR NEXT SEASON, AND WHEN MONEY COMES AROUND:
NEW RADIO
NOVA FOAMS / SODONAS
NEW MOA CHASSIS
BETTER SERVO w/ BEC.
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHuffer View Post
DON'T ENTER A COMP IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO PRACTICE WITH YOUR CURRENT SET-UP.
No way man, the worst comp day is still better than no comp day at all.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

well said, EeePee... my bad...
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Cool post by the way.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'd like to add on to this with my experience as a newb to comps (1)
Unlike the OP I spent a lot of time getting my setup down and leaving it there prior to the comp. So I knew my rig and how it handles, what I did not spend enough time on is analyzing the rules.

Lesson learned #1 - take the back-up to avoid a touch. I had a clean run except for 2 touches that could have been avioded with a back up.

Lesson learned #2 - Don't ignore the "easy" gates. My two touches occured on what I deemed to be the easy ones (piece of cake)

Lesson learned #3 - Think outside the box. The comp ended with a very steep climb that most did not clear (I cleared it on attempt #2). However there was no OB markers so it was acceptable to go around the climb all together and still clear the gate <doh!>

Lesson learned #4 - Go fast when you can, time counts.

I finished 3/6 so not bad but I could have been 1st or 2nd by using just two reverses and thinking a bit more.
Ktbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHuffer View Post
So for all you newbs, starting or wanting to compete. Set-up and practice, practice, practice...
my 2 cents:
STICK PACKS AND BERGS DON'T MIX.
PROLINE MEMORY FOAMS - DON'T USE THEM

UPGRADES FOR NEXT SEASON, AND WHEN MONEY COMES AROUND:
NEW RADIO
NOVA FOAMS / SODONAS
NEW MOA CHASSIS
BETTER SERVO w/ BEC.
I agree, Practice is great. Don't agree with proline foams, all foams will be different for each rig, traction, and driving style. Don't tell people to not use them, when they might be the hot ticket for their rig.

I'm still a newb also, first comp, 11th out of 20, 2nd comp 4th out of 18, 3rd comp I changed from a slingshot ax10 to a T1e Bully and pulled a 2nd out of 23.

For now i'm 2nd overall in armature, at least till I screw up really bad.

Its all about knowing your rig.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I like this thread.....good place for us noobs to share what we've learned so far.
So here's my lessons.

1. know the rules.....and be a judge at the comps. I've been judging at every comp I go to either all day or as a fill in for one to take a break. I've learned alot just by watching the other drivers, not just about the course for that day but little things like when to wiggle the steering, or give it some throttle even when you think you shouldn't....stuff like that. Even if you don't judge watch everyone.
2. even though you are watching everyone don't assume that just because they have problems in an area that you will too. many times at comps i'll see everyone go around an obstacle because the first person failed at it and then you go back and try it yourself after the comp and realize you could have done it. now this can go the other way also...they might be able to do something you can't. I think that to be a top driver watching is good and bad.....but you should be able to go up to any course and run first with confidence.
3. think outside the box sometimes....like mentioned above use the terrain....can you go around that nasty hill climb and make the gate. don't use a reverse if you have plenty of room to make a wide turn....
4. don't get mad if you can't have a perfect run. we all get that gate that we can't clear...don't take 8 reverses and then wind up taking the gate anyways....you can spend way too much time working on a gate and either rack up a bunch of points instead of 10 or 11 and also kill alot of time off your clock and then risk not being able to finish at all. I see courses where the gates have been designed to be taken and they are testing you to take it and move on or waste all your time trying to get that perfect score.
5. don't wait until your tire is 1/16 of an inch away from the gate before you realize you are gonna have to reverse not to hit it.....you can tell usually way before you are that close if it's gonna go or not...
6. make your reverses count....we've all taken a reverse and move back a few inches then go forward only to wind up in the same spot and then it's another reverse......make them count go back as far as you can or until you know you can take a different line or approach.
7. have fun remember this is a fun hobby...relax and enjoy yourself.

ok my 2 cents there's more but i'll let someone else add to it....
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

OH yeah....RCHuffer.....get a better servo.....400 oz torque will improve your crawling big time. I don't even like the 645 on my mini...
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #9

man that is alot of changes in one series, that would get frustrating after awhile.
seven_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Yo Huff, you still made the top 10 in the club!
This is why I made the choice to run the Sportsman's class this year. I needed to re-learn how to crawl. At the end of last season, I was throwing everythng at my rig (even an untested dig for the finals) and was not happy with my driving performace. I was told that it 's better to learn how you rig runs without dig and then once that happens, you can start learning to run your rig with the dig instead of rushing in too fast. You can have a great rig with all the bells and whistles, but if you don't know how to drive it, it won't do you any good.
For me this year I must have changed my set up 4 times over the 8 comps. I finally got it the way I liked in by the 5th comp and I never changed it. Solid advice raul duke.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
I finally got it the way I liked in by the 5th comp and I never changed it. Solid advice raul duke.
I do believe it was right around the 5th comp you started smoking me at every comp

Great write-up Glen! As a fellow Newb, this was my first season of crawling, everything Glen said is true, except maybe that part about the Proline foams . I started changing my rig in the middle of the season, and without practice I was getting frustrated. All the changes needed to be done, added a BEC, new tires, shocks, springs, trimmed the body, new front steering link. But doing it bit by bit wasn't helping. My rig needed all those things done at once in order to be where I needed it.

Thanks to Frankenwheely for helping me do all that, and donating the shocks and springs, and buying the BEC for my birthday I'm just happy that by the last comp, my rig was where it should have been at the beginning of the season, and like Glen, I finished 3 out of the 4 courses. I'll be better prepared for next season so all the comps will be as fun as the finals were
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote