Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SCORPION AX10 KIT vs. SCX10 KIT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #1

Default SCORPION AX10 KIT vs. SCX10 KIT

I've been out of the RC world for a number of years, but ever since seeing that Extreme 4X4 show on RC crawlers I've had the bug to get back in. The last r/c car I had was a Tamaya "frog". The thing I enjoyed the most about it was it came in kit form and I got to build it. I want to get into crawling, and I want to build it, but I can't seem to find anywhere that has the AX10 kit in stock. I can find the SCX10 kit, but I initially had myself convinced that a crawler was the only way to go. Now I'm starting to think the SCX will more than meet my needs - I live in Houston and will not be doing comps, probably just bashing in the backyard. Thoughts? What are the differences in capabilities/limitations between the 2? Or does anyone know where I can find an AX10 kit?
TXMontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I am never this guy, but do some searching around here. This question has been asked 100 times.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would definetly get the SCX10, if your not doing any comps just bashing it's a great and very durable rig imo.

SCX10 is a trail truck and light to moderate rock crawling, but the AX10 is hardcore rockcrawler, best set up for rocks, but if you set your SCX10 well enough it's a very capable crawler.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #4

What about aftermarket parts, mods, and upgrades? I've done a lot of reading on this site, and it seems like all the info on mods and upgrades concern the AX10, not the SCX10. Not that I'm already thinking of changing anything, but I like the flexibility. Are parts for the SCX just as available as for teh AX10?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The AX-10 kit was canceled, to be replaced by the XR-10. The drivetrain of the AX and SCX are the same, just one's chassis is a comp design (kinda) and the other is scale. For backyard bashing the scx kit or scx honcho kit should work great for you.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMontiac View Post
What about aftermarket parts, mods, and upgrades? I've done a lot of reading on this site, and it seems like all the info on mods and upgrades concern the AX10, not the SCX10. Not that I'm already thinking of changing anything, but I like the flexibility. Are parts for the SCX just as available as for teh AX10?
Yes. they share the trans,axles so any upgrades will swap back and forth for those items. but there are many upgrades for the scx.
matt ellerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMontiac View Post
I've been out of the RC world for a number of years, but ever since seeing that Extreme 4X4 show on RC crawlers I've had the bug to get back in. The last r/c car I had was a Tamaya "frog". The thing I enjoyed the most about it was it came in kit form and I got to build it. I want to get into crawling, and I want to build it, but I can't seem to find anywhere that has the AX10 kit in stock. I can find the SCX10 kit, but I initially had myself convinced that a crawler was the only way to go. Now I'm starting to think the SCX will more than meet my needs - I live in Houston and will not be doing comps, probably just bashing in the backyard. Thoughts? What are the differences in capabilities/limitations between the 2? Or does anyone know where I can find an AX10 kit?

I was asking myself the same question. I went with the SCX-10 and love it. My last R/C was a Tamiya Super Champ. I went with the SCX-10 because compared to what we ran in the '80's these things have come a LOOOONG way. The main factor was doing the scale stuff...I enjoy modeling as well and there is no end to upgrades w/ different bodies and scale accessories. You're going to love being able to crawl over stuff at your desired speed (w/ control) instead of the "all or nothing" speed of the old Tamiya's. My Bro' has both Axial versions and his son likes the AX better because it will go wherever he points it...my brother likes the challenge of picking a specific line to get over obstacles w/ the SCX. Good luck, either way you'll have BLAST!
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have never been much into "how it looks" but all about "how it works"! So scale, while looking very kool (both modeling and crawling), has never appealed to me much because ya need to sacrifice performance for the "look". Plus I don't have the temperament to spend the time getting the "look". All that said the scx setups do climb pretty good and I really do appreciate the time/work/money that goes into the "look". Low riders aren't for me either. The fact is, even a mildly set up ax10 will out crawl any scaler out there and the ax10 is long in the tooth at the bottom end of comp rigs today. I do think the ax10 is still the best non-comp basher/sport-crawler out there! It is dead reliable, has great aftermarket support and can crawl pretty well. Really it all about what you want.

Anyway, just my two cents. For what it's worth.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Hey there's a thread over in brand specific just started a couple of day's ago do some searching. (axial section)
rockerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

SCX10 is gonna be the truck you want with no comps' in the future, it would allow you tinker with it and yet be able to crawl and bash. I think this is the truck for you
lowandslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I bought the scx10 and it has been a great build , still fitting it out , I'm also going to grab a ax10 kit aswell though , it will go on the trailer and be towed to the rocks , mainly getting it to complete the whole scale aspect though , found a 1/10 or so wakeboard boat today , just a cheapy for looks , it looks the part.
conrodss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Just don't buy a Venom. No support. EVERYONE carries stuff for the Axial. Get the AX-10, do not waste your time on a scaler. You'll watch people go near vertical with their Ax-10. The scx is no where near as capable. The Ax-10 will do stuff that scalers can't dream of.

I started with a Venom Creeper and got addicted, now i have a Bully on the way.
freemachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #13

Rockerrc - thanks - I looked up that thread and *think* it hepled me.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #14

If the AX10 kit was cancelled, does anyone know of anywhere that may still have some left? Possibly on clearance prices?(one can hope)