Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New build advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #1

Default New build advice

Hi

Im going to start a new build soon, and i need some help.

I'll be starting with an Axial SCX10 4WD Trail Honcho Kit, should i use brushed or brussless?, I like the idea of driving in mud and water.

Whats a good ESC to use, I was thing of using a Castle Mamba Max Pro or an LRP Crawler Brushless Reverse then I seen this Ansmann Racing Brushless Set and I have a 55t Rooster Crawler combo.

i've never used brushless so any input you can give will help alot.

Thanks.
dun79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

If you are doing mud and water a cheap 27t or 35t motor is your best bet. I would get a decent ESC with drag brake and lipo cutoff as well and just seal it in a waterproof box, balloon, or a condom which is what I use with my FXR.

You really don't want to put a nice expensive brushless motor through the mud or a nice brushed motor for that matter. For ESC's I would recommend the Tekin FXR or Castle Sidewinder set to brushed mode. The MM Pro is really overkill for the SCX.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #3

Hi TexasSP

Would the Castle sidewinder 1/18 ESC do, I think i seen somewhere it has the same spec as the 1/10.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I agree with TexasSP on the Pro being over kill . If you dont already own one then you can buy a much less expensive esc for this purpose . BL and water dont mix so I would also recommend brushed here . I personally have the pro and I run brushed . As a matter of fact Im currently building a scale truck for the mud and Im gonna use my Pro with duall brushed 27turns and keep the esc in a project box . As long as I keep the runs within reason the esc will not over heat . That being said if you want an esc that you can use for other rigs with high amp demands then go for the pro . Just make sure it dont get wet . With one motor I would probably go with a 35 so you can have enough torque for the mud and enough wheel speed to clean out the tires . 11.1v lipo will spin the sh*t out of a 35turn brushed motor but make sure it can handle the voltage . Only thing is lipo dont like water either so maybe try 8 , 9 , or 10 cell nimh . I plasti dip my lipos and grease the terminals to water proof them . And make sure you clean the motor after each run in the mud or water otherwise it wont last long . Im not sure about the 1/18 sidewinder . Maybe you can check the Mamba site for comparison .

Last edited by rc_pimp; 07-04-2010 at 10:42 AM.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Thanks pimp

I might get the mmpro and put it in my high lift, will it be overkill in a high lift, then put my rooster in the axial, I dont want a mud truck or a submarine just something cheapish that I can drive in the rain, would the rooster and a 27t-45t motor be ok for that.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Anythying over the sidewinder is really overkill in either truck. You could use the micro, but it would be close and I prefer giving things a little more buffer than that. I wouldn't use the micro with anything less than a 35t motor though.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #7

Thanks TexasSP

Ok i wont get the micro, I think i'll get the 1/10 sidewinder and a 35t and see what it runs like.
will a spektrum s6020 be an ok servo.
And should i get a BEC

is the scx10 still the best start for a scale build.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Im not familiar with the servo but anything spectrum is quality . And yes the scx-10 is a great place to start . The pro is over kill but you dont have to run it to its full potential . It really comes down to the price . A sidewinder is much cheaper and very capable for this application . I have the Pro because I can run 2cell and get good results or can fly one of my buggies to the moon with 6cell . I have seen the Pro reach some serious top speeds and Im not just a crawler guy so it was the best investment for me . If you dont plan to set speed records then the sidewinder is the best bet for both of your rigs . The sidewinder can push a motor very well itself . I just prefer the versatility of the Pro .
Old 07-05-2010, 05:58 AM   #9

Thanks pimp

i'll get a sidewinder, I dont need to get to the moon yet, maybe for my next RC.

I have a spektrum s6010 7.5kg in my high lift and its abit weak sometimes, would that mean i need a BEC?

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

As a rule if you have a servo you need a bec because it always helps . But to answer your question yes . If the servo seems weak at times but not all the time then a bec will likely fix the problem . You cant go wrong getting a bec .
Old 07-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #11

Thanks rc_pimp

i'll add BEC to the list of parts.

i'll post the list of part before i order.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Happy to help . If any other questions come up feel free to ask .
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun79 View Post
Thanks rc_pimp

i'll add BEC to the list of parts.

i'll post the list of part before i order.
If your note running a comp crawler and will have issues with the steering binding up against rocks while trying to make a tough climb, the BEC is not really necessary. I don't run them in my scalers and they are fine.

In fact in the MM Pro and many of Castles newer ESC's the internal BEC'shave been beefed up enough not to need an external.