Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: need help! new to the game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #1

Default need help! new to the game

So my son and I are getting ready to build a mild rock crawler, we both want it to be scale and to look much like a rea modified truck/SUV, we have been really looking at the Axial Honcho, and the land cruiser from Tamiya, but I'm not sure who else to look at, I know I want one with lockers, but it I wanted to build a complete bad A rig from scatch I'm not sure where to start. And the ones that come RTR are they able to be modified at all? any help will be great
yota8596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

yes you can do what ever to the RTR just like the kit. there the same truck!! sorry i am talking about the honcho!.lol if i was you, i wud just get the honcho. i love mine!

jeff
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota8596 View Post
So my son and I are getting ready to build a mild rock crawler, we both want it to be scale and to look much like a rea modified truck/SUV, we have been really looking at the Axial Honcho, and the land cruiser from Tamiya, but I'm not sure who else to look at, I know I want one with lockers, but it I wanted to build a complete bad A rig from scatch I'm not sure where to start. And the ones that come RTR are they able to be modified at all? any help will be great
You can not go wrong at all with the Honcho. This year and the Montana Scale Designs comp hosted by Axial. This truck proved to be a hell of a truck stock. So in that and being an owner of one. Its a great to start off truck, can easily be modified off the chassis, and if you want to go further than that... then axles and tranny are excellent and are a never throw out item.

I assure you that you will have a well appreciated truck with hours and days of fun if you do it right, take your time, and enjoy

Last edited by team3six; 07-07-2010 at 10:23 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ya thats what i was trying to say!!.lol
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You have tons of options really . But the Honcho would be my pick . It really is a great scale rig and its known to be durable out of the box . You can go many directions with this platform so go for it .
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #6

So I have read some info about replacing the motor with a Tekin 55t and a speed controller that comes in a combo, I guess its really supposed to give you more low end torque and better speed control
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

yeah but going from a 55t to another 55t isnt going to do ya any good. there wont be much difference. I used to use Novak and hated it hated it hated it. once I went to tekin I haven't looked back. Now its not to say that others aren't better. I just think Novak dropped the ball when it came to crawling gear.

55t and 27t is a starter for most kits. 35T is what you want to run at and its very controllable.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
yeah but going from a 55t to another 55t isnt going to do ya any good. there wont be much difference. I used to use Novak and hated it hated it hated it. once I went to tekin I haven't looked back. Now its not to say that others aren't better. I just think Novak dropped the ball when it came to crawling gear.

55t and 27t is a starter for most kits. 35T is what you want to run at and its very controllable.
I also think the 35t is the way to go.. Kinda wounder why none of the rtr come with a mid range motor? its either the 27t or 55t
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

If it was me I would go with the Honcho kit and skip the rtr. By doing this you get the aluminum links and you to pick your own electronics. You can get the Tekin fxr and 35t combo from stormer hobbies for $99 for the combo. For a radio look at the spektrum dx3e for like $99 from like RPP or look at stormer also both vendors have good prices on the kits. Look the scx forums for things you can do. If you get the dx3e it has a third channel to run a winch if you want or something else.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #10

Thank you all for the advice!! The Honcho it is!!! and what battery pack(s) and chargers do you recomend?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
www.team3sixrc.com

I would say any lipo charger that has a balancer built in. I have a hyperion which can be purchased at maxamps. But duratrax, venom, and racers edge are good and affordable. A good start would be the turning 2200 2s from hobbyking.com cheap and an excellent battery that will last.