Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Ultimate competition kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ultimate competition kit?

I want to build out a full kit that is competition-worthy. Price isn't really an issue. Excluding the upcoming XR10, what is the best kit to go with? What motor, ESC, servo, batts, and tires do _you_ think are the best? And please let me know what hop-ups are worth doing.

I have a lot of RC experience but I'm new to crawling...
mdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

Open question, so because your a newbie I will give you a break.
1. comp crawler or scaler?
2. if your going comp do you want to be a shafty or MOA (motor on axle)
3. if your going scaler do you want Tuber or chassis built design
4. for either do you want 1.9, 2.2, or super
5. do you want EVERYTHING youll need, or just the truck and electronics to run it?
6. and how much do you want to spend
and finally, prepare for an onslaught of newbies, beginner's, and pros giving up their advice. because everyone has their own preference.

Moving forward. I personally would choose to start with the Axial Honcho for a scaler, the XR10 for the MOA, and the AX10 for the shafty.
All can easily be modified and are excellent starters out of the box and are proven chassis and parts. for radio gear I would choose spektrum DX3R because it works and is easy to program. Charger would be a Hyperion, Batteries would be Turnigy, Motors and ESC's would be one of several.
ESC combo: Tekin 35T handwound kit
ESC: Tekin FXR or Holmeshobbies BR XL
Motor: Holmes Hobbies, JP Customs, or Team brood
BEC: Castle creations or Common Sense
Tires: Thats a long road of tires to choose from.
thats my advice
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Got Worms?

The losi comp crawler, or even some bully axles . With the losi you want a brushless system either a 17.5 or a 21.5, check out the lcc thread either check out del montes latest setup, and/or ehills posted a live build not too long ago that you could follow if you stick with shafty. (they are team losi members) or if you go losi moa i would suggest the BLC chopper chassis and follow jeepials chopper thread. As for the bullies i heard that jp customs has good chassis for them.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If $$$ is no option, then go with the best,

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrc-ber...cs-p-1632.html
skkeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the tip on CKRC. That may be my best route.

To answer team3six's questions:
1) Comp crawler
2) MOA
3) N/A
4) Not sure. I'll have to see what's popular at the Seattle Crawlers club.
5) I need everything but the radio, tools and charger. I have a bunch of 2s 40C/4200MAh lipos but it looks like I'd need a 3s?
6) I usually expect to spend between $800 & $1200 for a new car but I'm new to crawling so I'm not sure how it prices out for the good stuff. I assumed it would be less than a 1/8 buggy setup, for example.

Thanks for the tips. Please keep them coming.

And I'll try to refrain from open questions in the future, though I do think a lot of people like reading what other people think is "the best".
Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
www.team3sixrc.com

sent you a P.M.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
Thanks for the tip on CKRC. That may be my best route.
They have other packages for the berg axles as well. Ask anyone, and they will tell you Berg's are synonymous with the best and the most competitive. Not to say that others can't be great, but the Berg's cut the cake in the crawler community.
skkeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

There is no such thing as a kit for the "best" comp rig. There are many options but right now some berg axles with 300s and a moonbuggy chassis is a good place to start. Get 86jeep to do a steering setup with a 350+oz servo. Get some vanquish knuckles and wheels along with some rovers or sedonas. Add a couple fxr/35pro combos, ccbec, 850mah 45/90 3s thunderpower battery, hyperion charger, 6ex futaba radio. And learn to drive it!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
And learn to drive it!
Thanks for the tips! I know this was a subjective question, which is why I asked what _you_ think is the best rig. I've already gotten a ton of great information out of this thread.

I see you're in Sac-town. I grew up in Granite Bay. Is there much R/C action going on in the Sac area these days? I remember going to Sacramento Mini Wheels out by Power Inn Rd to race my JRx2 back in the late 80's-early 90's. I don't think it's there any more...
Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have a bunch of 2s 40C/4200MAh lipos but it looks like I'd need a 3s?
You don't need 3S, but it sure makes driving a lot more fun! You do need smaller batteries. Those 4200's are big and most likely too heavy. A 1000mAh pack will last you ~40 minutes or so....depending on things like motors, driving style, etc.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I know this was a subjective question, which is why I asked what _you_ think is the best rig. I've already gotten a ton of great information out of this thread.

I see you're in Sac-town. I grew up in Granite Bay. Is there much R/C action going on in the Sac area these days? I remember going to Sacramento Mini Wheels out by Power Inn Rd to race my JRx2 back in the late 80's-early 90's. I don't think it's there any more...

There is ton of info here! I would suggest ya go to the berg section and do alot of reading!
There is alot of crawler action around here. There are three shops with indoor courses and a couple great private courses all with comps each week plus combined weekend comps. I don't know about Mini Wheels but CCRC is on south Watt with both an indoor dirt track and crawler setup.

Last edited by oldhippie; 07-09-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

all here have great info for you.

Yes the Nor-Cal crawler sceen is where it is at 6 or 7 clubs comps every weekend or hell if you want you can comp every night of the week in the nor cal area. come on down you will be impressed

I say go with a berg you can build a comp winning berg for 800$ or less. they just flat out work. I think the xr-10 will be a good competitior for the berg once it comes out but will still need a few months for it to get tuned in really well.

Last edited by jammin311; 07-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

The two biggest questions I have now are:

1) Brushed or brushless? I run brushless in all my vehicles but it looks like a lot of people are running the Tekin brushed setup. Is that just to save money or is there an advantage?

2) Wheel radio or two stick? I use a DX3R now. Would I need the 4th channel of a 4PK or is 3 ch good enough?

Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Well, if you are running a single ESC, then your only choice out there is brushed. To my knowledge, there isnt an ESC out there that can handle dual brushless motors.....let alone dual brushless sensored motors...which is what you'd need for a crawler.

After reading the statement that I just made, I'm sure you'll gladly stick with your 3R, dual brushed and single ESC. The 4th channel is helpful in some situations, but, IMO, not enough to justify the cost of a 4PK. However, there are other radios out there that will perform the same functions as a 4PK at a fraction of the cost.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The two biggest questions I have now are:

1) Brushed or brushless? I run brushless in all my vehicles but it looks like a lot of people are running the Tekin brushed setup. Is that just to save money or is there an advantage?

2) Wheel radio or two stick? I use a DX3R now. Would I need the 4th channel of a 4PK or is 3 ch good enough?

Thanks again!
Crawling is all about low speed control! Even the best sensored brushless setups, while they are good, can't match a good brushed setup for smooth startup and very low speed control. For playing/bashing brushless is great but on a serious comp rig that little loss of control makes a difference. Folks run tekin fxr because they are small, light and kick it!

No matter what anyone says, dual esc and a stick radio offers more control than even a 4pk. But there a plenty of guys running one esc and punk with a 3 channel pistol getting excellent results. It really is driver preference.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

you need to choose yourself everyones going to give you a different answers
350oshin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, guide, kit, recommendation