Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Good electronics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Good electronics?

I am buying a SCX10 honcho as a Kit.I need some good elctronics to complete the kit.I am planning to use 3s lipo's (I have some of my r/c heli).
Thank you
evo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I think the fxr combos are great bang for the buck! A sidewinder is also good budget choice. Get a ccbec with either. The HH torque-master is great too, can be ordered waterproof and won't need a bec. Get a cc link for the sidewinder/hh/plus the bec. I would recommend a 35t motor in a scaler. Ya don't need a handwound but they are nice (too nice if ya plan mud/water running). I would recommend something over 200oz in a brand name servo but the hobbico cs150 is good and I been using a towerpro mg496 (I iwould get spares)with some success so far? Good Luck!~ and Welcome!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
I think the fxr combos are great bang for the buck! A sidewinder is also good budget choice. Get a ccbec with either. The HH torque-master is great too, can be ordered waterproof and won't need a bec. Get a cc link for the sidewinder/hh/plus the bec. I would recommend a 35t motor in a scaler. Ya don't need a handwound but they are nice (too nice if ya plan mud/water running). I would recommend something over 200oz in a brand name servo but the hobbico cs150 is good and I been using a towerpro mg496 (I iwould get spares)with some success so far? Good Luck!~ and Welcome!
Thank you oldhippie !!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
I decided for the fxr combo,but...with 35t, 45t, or 55t motor? Works fine with 20t pinion?
Do I need any special cable to set up FXR ESC or it comes factory preset?
The FXR comes with BEC do I need another?
Thank you for your help!!!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Default Fxr

You can get the hotwire cable (sold separately with software) but it can be programmed using the 6 led's pretty easily.

I prefer that so I don't have to carry a computer around with me to make adjustments.

Sorry I have no advice for the Motor I am strictly a 2.2 guy.

Brian
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brid96 View Post
You can get the hotwire cable (sold separately with software) but it can be programmed using the 6 led's pretty easily.

I prefer that so I don't have to carry a computer around with me to make adjustments.

Sorry I have no advice for the Motor I am strictly a 2.2 guy.

Brian
Thank you Brian
Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I would recomend the 45t, and prob drop to a 15T pinion, in long run, will be real fast witht he 20T and 3s LOL. The ESc is crazy easy to program with the LED's. No real need for hotwire if your not goin to tune alot. I would recomend you get a BEC then wire it direct to servo, and in future if you get a winch you can Y it to the winch also
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Gettin’ back on the horse

I personally run a 35 turn motor with a 23 tooth pinion, 84 tooth spur on 3 cell and love it, has good low end and good high end. I am running a 4.2 inch tire.

I may actually go to a 21 turn motor and a smaller pinion, some where around 16 or 17. Wheel speed is fun and commonly used with a scaler, low end torque is not as necessary as with a comp rig.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thank you!!!!!
I ordered my Tekin fxr combo w/35t motor and Castle creation BEC.The Pinion is the 20t that comes stock with the kit. Will be OK?
All this will work with 3S lipo's.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Gettin’ back on the horse

Yep that should all work fine, if you are ever unhappy with your gearing it is one of the easiest things to change.

Last edited by TURTLE; 07-29-2010 at 07:36 PM.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote