Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: XR-10 or AX-10 for comping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question XR-10 or AX-10 for comping

which one would be better for comping?(where i will run moa and shafty are ran together)
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Anything MOA will be better for comping. so with that said......
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
D-Wray 4 Prez!

If you got the money, XR-10. AX-10 is a good starter rig.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Moa
T1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
RCC Addict

MOA for sure to be flat out honest. They just seem to make any driver better from my experiences.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Gettin’ back on the horse

The XR10 is by far the best out of box crawler I have ever used.

The Ax10 is a nice platform, but in my eyes it is outdated for the current competition scene.

Out of all the choices on the current market if your not willing to drop 1500.00 for a bomb proof berg go with the XR10 and get it set up for half that price(less or more depending on what components you want to run and how pretty you want it to look).
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well, I'm sure people will not like me but here is my Opinion. I would start with a shafty, the ax-10. I feel that it will make you a better driver in the long run. You will actually have to drive the shafty. If the have a sportsman's class where you comp then you will compete against others that have similar rigs, so you won't be out classed so to speak. I realize that moa guys have to drive too, but the rig can cover up some bad driving habits. You can learn on an moa. You could be a great driver with a moa. I would start on a shafty. Just my opinion. The ax 10 is a great rig, and if axial has there poop in a group, then the xr 10 should be great too. Good luck!
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
Well, I'm sure people will not like me but here is my Opinion. I would start with a shafty, the ax-10. I feel that it will make you a better driver in the long run. You will actually have to drive the shafty. If the have a sportsman's class where you comp then you will compete against others that have similar rigs, so you won't be out classed so to speak. I realize that moa guys have to drive too, but the rig can cover up some bad driving habits. You can learn on an moa. You could be a great driver with a moa. I would start on a shafty. Just my opinion. The ax 10 is a great rig, and if axial has there poop in a group, then the xr 10 should be great too. Good luck!
I hear this a lot, in all kinds of things. Start with a small slow car/bike, a cheap tennis racket/basball mitt/skis... whatever. My feeling is ya should start with the best equipment ya can so ya don't learn poor habits or compensate because the of the poor performance and ya can concentrate on learning proper skills. But, that's just me.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Starting with a Shafty to help train you for an MOA... Not really they best way. If you plan on comping and plan on going MOA. Start off MOA.... You have 3 choices to go MOA... Berg, very Costly to build comp worthy, XR10, Cheaper, but very new and having a few issues holding up.... The Bully is priced about in the Middle and much stronger then anything out.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Starting with a Shafty to help train you for an MOA... Not really they best way. If you plan on comping and plan on going MOA. Start off MOA.... You have 3 choices to go MOA... Berg, very Costly to build comp worthy, XR10, Cheaper, but very new and having a few issues holding up.... The Bully is priced about in the Middle and much stronger then anything out.
Exactly what I was going to say. If you want to learn how to play guitar do you buy a drum set because it will help you learn to keep time??? NO.

I will say that if this will be your first rig ever you may want to go with something like an ax-10. It can be very expensive to get going between the rig, radio gear, motors, esc/esc's/dig switch, servo, etc. If you dont want to throw 1k+ at trying something out buying a used ax-10 or something similar may be the way to go. Maybe you will want to upgrade and maybe that will satisfy you.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 09-01-2010 at 01:55 AM.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
.... The Bully is priced about in the Middle and much stronger then anything out.
(inserting self promoting quote)
And there's a nice one in the For Sale Section! Comp ready with your radio and rx.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267398
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

As stated above 3 choices building my XR this weekend my Berg cost me close to $1100.00 and to be honest i will be close to that with the XR also but if the wallet lets you go MOA
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by John82601 View Post
(inserting self promoting quote)
And there's a nice one in the For Sale Section! Comp ready with your radio and rx.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267398
I sell items for all three trucks.. not really self promoting the Bully. I have an XR10 in route to me now. I have owned a Berg and Bully. I kept the Bully. My old Comp 2.2 Rig was a 2.2 Clod with TTR CVD's. I loved that rig. It was bullet proof. The Bully has been the closet thing to bullet proof I have ran since then.

Sides it's the truth...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I sell items for all three trucks.. not really self promoting the Bully. I have an XR10 in route to me now. I have owned a Berg and Bully. I kept the Bully. My old Comp 2.2 Rig was a 2.2 Clod with TTR CVD's. I loved that rig. It was bullet proof. The Bully has been the closet thing to bullet proof I have ran since then.

Sides it's the truth...
Jared, my bad,,, you missed my joke. The link is to the Bully that I'm selling, thus the self promotion comment. Bullies are the stoutest moa I've worked with and would recommend them to anybody. I think the side plates on my truck used to be on your personal truck IIRC. Sorry for the goof.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Clod axles FTW

Shafties are great for scalers. They seem to be pretty much dead for the comp world though. A big time player like Axial bringing out an MOA is just another nail in the comp shafty coffin.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'll throw my 2 cents in:

I started with an artr ax-10, that has since been converted to a "bulletproof" mayhem ls2.0 chassis rig, ten converted to a custom chassis rig. I was never happy with it because no matter how much care I took planning and whatnot it ALWAYS broke down. if it wasn't the dig breaking it was a pin shooting out of a driveshaft into the spur gear killing an entire trans. I know people break parts with bullies, bergs, anything. but this was excessive to me.

so I have since parted out what I could from my shafty rigs and built a bully.

I would too recommend going MOA to start, because you'll get an ax-10, need to upgrade a lot of it to be competitive, and end up with a cool truck that probably isn't competive against the moa's, and then end up doing what I did (dumping the parts for less that half of what you bought them for, and spending just as much again on a MOA.

go with the, do it once, do it right mentality, and you'll be satisfied!
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I must have misunderstood the question. I thought he was asking which one to buy biased on the fact that there is a sportsmans class at a lot of the comps nowadays. If you intend to run in the "comp" class then an moa is the only way to go. If you are just getting into the hobby and have a sportsmans class to run in, then I stand behind my original post. Maybe a lot of people would go out and buy a Rock Worx buggy as their first four wheel drive instead of a Jeep. I wouldn't. The buggy will make you look like a rock star till you got into a spot where you actually had to know how to drive. I also agree with Oldhippie, don't buy junk, but..... I don't think either rigs are junk. One is a TJ and one's a comp buggy. Depends on what you want. Comp or sportsman. No matter what you do tho... Do it to have FUN! Thats what it all about
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i think im going to go with the xr10 becuse it will be competative(people in my area are going to swich to a xr10 so i might as well start there)
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

If I was getting started and wanted all new equipment I'd buy the best most competitive newest gear available. If I was on a budget I'd look for used equipment right here on RCC in the used section.

If I wasn't RC savvy at all, I'd try a RTR set-up as a learning exercise, you can find some good prices by shopping for exactly what looks good to you.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
I hate when people say " you need an moa rig to compete. Anything else and your just stupid." What people don't ask is. What classes comp in your area. For example here where I live. 2.2 shaftys only. No rear steer. No dig. No portals. So that R1 is out for here cause of the portal axles. It looks like a fine crawler. But your best bet for comps might be to go spectate one. And see what everyone else runs. And go with your favorite. Or the biggest class so there are more people with what you have.
quoted from another thread. ignore black text. thanks

If I listened to any of the guys on this forum i'd be VERY disapointed when it came to competition time, there is no MOA class within 200 miles of where I live. so get out there and see what class you want to comp in, and decide after.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote