Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking to buy a rock racer/crawler for bashing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Looking to buy a rock racer/crawler for bashing

Hello, I think I have decided on what crawler I want to go with but before I buy anything I want to get some other opinions. I've read a lot about different crawlers on this forum, read some reviews and looked at manufacturer websites but it is a lot of info to take in.

Here is a list of what I want out of a rock racer/crawler/basher:
*Price under $275 (or so) for vehicle and electronics (motor, esc, radio). I already have batteries.
*As indicated by my price range, I don't need the best of the best when it comes to electronics or the vehicle itself.
*I'm just a backyard basher with no intention of competing.
*I want something that is somewhat quick for running around in 1.5" grass and some dirt.
*Decent rock crawler.
*Durable (I'd rather have parts give a *little* bit instead of permanently bending or breaking; i.e. suspension links).
*No bumpers to get in the way; I'd like the front tires to be able to crawl their way up curbs and other similar objects.
*Good on-line parts availability.

The crawler I'm looking at purchasing is the Axial AX-10 RTC and then I'd also purchase the differential gear components, new pinion gear and a lower turn motor to make it similar to the AX-10 RTR Rock Racer. This would put me at around $270. The reason why I'm not looking at the RTR is because the RTC seems to have better tires, better foam inserts, better shocks and I prefer the green beadlocks and XC-1 crawler body. What I also like about the AX-10 RTC is the slipper clutch; which I would think is a good thing to have in a rock racer/basher. With this vehicle I could put in the differential lockers, put in the 55t motor from the RTC and use it for light rock crawling or put the differential gears in, put in a lower turn motor and higher tooth pinion gear for running around the yard.

Is my logic sound or is there a different vehicle that you guys think would be a better choice for me? I've looked at the Axial SCX10 but I believe the bumpers will be in the way and I really like the idea of larger wheels and tires. Another crawler I've looked at is the RC4WD MK42 MOA Crawler RTR because it's close to my price range but I'm not sure it is really suited for my needs and I worry about parts availability (not only now but 5 years from now).

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

*Edit* Early on I discounted the Venom Creeper but after looking at it I wonder if it might be a good way to go after all? The differentials are certainly easy to lock and unlock and it appears to have some other nice features as well. I could also buy some nicer electronics for the rest of my budget. I guess I have a new sub-forum to scope out. LOL

Last edited by Omega-Tron; 09-02-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Omega-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

RTR also has a slipper clutch, plus an extra smaller pinion and a locker for the front. The real difference between the RTC and RTR is the RTC has better tires and shocks, plus a higher turn motor.

BTW, Axial has some of the best aftermarket support of any brand crawler out there, so there are plenty of ways to spend all your money (it happens to everyone) whichever model you pick.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

You can't really go wrong with the Axial. I think the rtc would be better than the rtr.

You could also look into a used one if you don't mind that. You'll get more upgraded parts and better electronics for about the same price.
flowingmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Wow, it sounds like you've really done your homework. I agree with everything you've mentioned above.

When you get the RTC reverse the motor wires, this will put the esc functions back to normal for a non-crawler vehicle. As it's wired in the box, the esc is using reverse when going forward and forward while the vehicle is in reverse. This gives it instant reverse but then requires a double-pump to go forward, easily remedied.

Other than that get out and enjoy it. The AX10 RTC is a great little rig. It'll take a ton of abuse as a basher and if you decide to comp is only a few modifications away from being ready. (Holmes BR-XL, Rover Whites, CS-170, hint, hint)
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the comments guys; I like to make sure I'm thinking straight. ;)

I just got my AX-10 RTC today and realized it actually comes with the parts to have 1 unlocked differential (gears, shaft, O-rings) and also comes with the 20t pinion gear. Had I known this I wouldn't have purchased these parts separately. Oh well, I guess I have spares. lol

Is it common knowledge that the RTC also has these parts (not just the RTR)?
Omega-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-Tron View Post
Is it common knowledge that the RTC also has these parts (not just the RTR)?
I don't remember them being in there when I helped my father in law set up his RTC. Consider them a bonus!
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Get your self a SCX-10. Hand down the best buy for the dollar.

Later pick up a summit transmission. Then your set.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote