Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Clodbuster Axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #1

Default Clodbuster Axle

Can I just buy the parts bags for a clodbuster axle instead of tying to find someone selling them?

Thanks
DrasticSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Other than used this is the cheapest way. http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/ Someone figured it out once it's $50 or $60 cheaper to buy them from the crawler store.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrasticSports
Can I just buy the parts bags for a clodbuster axle instead of tying to find someone selling them?

Thanks
You would need multiple different parts bags to get all the parts needed to build both axles. I think it would be more expensice than using one of these guys...
Try The Crawler Store - $139.99 new. ETA is 2/28/06 for them to be in stock.
RC Rock Crawling - $145 w/bearings
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish but you might want to keep a eye on brand new clodbuster kits at tower hobbies. If you get the right discount code you can usually get $30 off (right now they're giving $30 off $199 order). That would put the kit at $159 which includes body mounts, the abs body with all the chrome, chrome rims, stock tires, stock motors, and obviously all of the other stuff that comes with the kit including the axles. Hell you could probably sell the body on ebay for $20-$30 which would put the cost of the kit at $129-$139. That's the same price as what is above but you get all of the other parts including the tires/rims FOR FREE.
You could get the axles even cheaper if you were to sell everything else that comes in the kit. Oh and did i mention you also get an owners manual? I guess buying the stock kit is looking better and better...no?

Last edited by quick5pnt0; 02-26-2006 at 09:26 AM.
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0
I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish but you might want to keep a eye on brand new clodbuster kits at tower hobbies. If you get the right discount code you can usually get $30 off (right now they're giving $30 off $199 order). That would put the kit at $159 which includes body mounts, the abs body with all the chrome, chrome rims, stock tires, stock motors, and obviously all of the other stuff that comes with the kit including the axles. Hell you could probably sell the body on ebay for $20-$30 which would put the cost of the kit at $129-$139. That's the same price as what is above but you get all of the other parts including the tires/rims FOR FREE.
You could get the axles even cheaper if you were to sell everything else that comes in the kit. Oh and did i mention you also get an owners manual? I guess buying the stock kit is looking better and better...no?
First off I want to say that this is not necessarilly a bad idea. I even mentioned something simaler to him when he asked the same question about TXT axles. But you have to take in considersation some other factors...
It sells for $199 on Tower minus the current ad of $30 off, that makes it $169 (not $159). Then consider the fact that the RC Rock Crawling Axles have bearing inculed in the price. so add $10+ or so for "rubber" sealed bearings (found on ebay). And yes the price does get better if you could sell the body, but you would have to find a buyer that wants a super clod body (not chevy) for $20-30. Then theres all the other stuff with it... The tires, wheels, chassis, "friction shocks", hardware... Do you really need/want all of that for the extra $30-40?
I'd say save your money and the headackes of having to try and sell all the extra stuff and get an axle kit.
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well to get the $30 discount you need to spend $199, but the super clodbuster is $189, so thats where i got the $159 from. Obviously to get to the $199 pricetag you'll need to spend an extra $10 but that shouldn't be a big deal since you'll need a radio, esc, etc anyway.

BTW I've seen the super clodbuster body go for $20+ on ebay so that shouldnt be a problem. As to whether you'd want the stock wheels/tires and owners manual that totally depends "on what you are trying to accomplish" like i said in the beginning of my post. Besides you can easily sell the body for $20, and the wheels/tires for $20 which would put the total for the axles (and whatever else comes with the kit) at $119 which even with a cheap set of bearings makes it less than the prices you quoted above.

You also have to factor in shipping. I'm guessing that the prices you quoted didn't include shipping right? Well since you'll likely need an esc and radio you'll have to order then elsewhere. Buy them and the super clodbuster kit from tower together and you save on shipping....making the axles even cheaper.

Last edited by quick5pnt0; 02-27-2006 at 02:28 PM.
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default 1st time? Get the kit!

I bought the whole kit for a few reasons.

#1. This was my first build and wanted a manual to show me how to assemble everything. It's not that complicated the 2nd time, but if a big pile of parts showed up without some instructions, I'd be lost.

#2. You get about 9 million extra screws, bolts, nuts, washers...that's important. As I said, with a 1st build, you're going to need some extra 4/40 locknuts,washers, or self tapping screws... not an easy find at home depot. The money and time you save there is worth it.

#3. I bought it from a LHS. Granted, it took 3 1/2 weeks but I was trying to support him!

#4. You get some tires and wheels to juggle / play, with while waiting for the other 20 things that you can't live without, are being made and shipped from TCS, Bender, Tower, etc.
teamtom is offline   Reply With Quote