Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What ESC and motors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What ESC and motors?

I have a New Age 2.2 MOA crawler. I have 2- Hitec HS7950TH servos for steering.

I was wondering what ESC and motors I can use. Tired of waiting on Novak to come out with their M2Dig system. I am planning on using the PunkRc Dig Switch, as he told me that I can use it with 1 ESC.

I am using a Spektrum 6 channel Rx and my JR 9303 Heli Tx.

I am doing front and rear steering, and adding a working which, and possibly some lighting. So I am wanting to get a ESC and motors that are going to hold up in competition if I decide to do that. So I don't have to keep replacing them. Not necessarily the most expensive, but the most reliable. I know you get what you pay for.

Should I get a ESC that can handle up to a 6S lipo?

Do I need to go with hand turned motors? I heard they are better as well, more detail in building them.

Then what lipo should i use? I know the servos can handle 2S straight power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have had this crawler since December waiting on Novak, who keep saying at the end of the month. Now it looks like they put it off again this October. Not very good PR if you ask me.

Last edited by tintmaster; 09-06-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: add pics
tintmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

For all the extra power you will need I would go with the CC BEC, http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html the pro at that. It's the best way to make sure you can power all the stuff you will be running. Then for the ESC if it were me, I would run the Mamba Max (original, not the new Pro version).
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintmaster View Post
I have a New Age 2.2 MOA crawler. I have 2- Hitec HS7950TH servos for steering.

Nice choice on the berg kit to start out!

I was wondering what ESC and motors I can use.

For a dual esc setup I really like the fxr because they are small and do everything very well (as long as ya don't go over 3s lipo).

Tired of waiting on Novak to come out with their M2Dig system.

I am planning on using the PunkRc Dig Switch, as he told me that I can use it with 1 ESC.

Yes ya can use the 1 esc but why would ya if ya are gonna be running sticks? an esc and punk isn't much cheaper that two esc and ya get better control with duals. Plus the dx6 doesn't have a 3 position switch that ya really ought to have with the punk.

I am using a Spektrum 6 channel Rx and my JR 9303 Heli Tx.

Again, nice choice going with sticks!

I am doing front and rear steering, and adding a working which, and possibly some lighting. So I am wanting to get a ESC and motors that are going to hold up in competition if I decide to do that.

Dual steering isn't allowed in 2.2 competition! Plus the winch and lights will just add weight which ya don't want to comp. But that stuff is kool to play with and way fun!

So I don't have to keep replacing them. Not necessarily the most expensive, but the most reliable. I know you get what you pay for.

I like novak/tekin/hh machine wound motors motors. They work good enough and can be rebuilt. I do have some brood handwounds and hh pullers that are just awesome.

Should I get a ESC that can handle up to a 6S lipo?

I have never ran more than 3s and really don't see the need but the option for BIG power is very tempting! The hh esc is nice, especially if ya go with only one esc.

Do I need to go with hand turned motors? I heard they are better as well, more detail in building them.

They have more power/speed but the wear a little quicker. They are nice but ya don't need them in most crawling.

Then what lipo should i use? I know the servos can handle 2S straight power.

3s is the standard and 1/3 more power than 2s. It don't cost much and makes a big difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have had this crawler since December waiting on Novak, who keep saying at the end of the month. Now it looks like they put it off again this October. Not very good PR if you ask me.
Good luck!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default What Motors and ESC

Ok so I am going to do 2 ESC's and motors. Can you be more specific?

I have no clue, 35t,45t, or 55t on the motors.

And then what pinions to use?

Which ESC's to be exact?

I will just use a 3S lipo. How many mAh?

I just got a CC Pro BEC to handle the load.

And I like thaT I am using my heli X9303 9 channel Trans with a AR6100 Rx for the ability to do independent steering. I don't know that I can ever do competition because I work all over the country. This is more for playing right now.

So am I missing anything now? Thanks for the advise!

Last edited by tintmaster; 09-08-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Adding another question
Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintmaster View Post
Ok so I am going to do 2 ESC's and motors. Can you be more specific?

Well, one esc for each motor (/front/rear). Each esc/motor on different channel/stick, use radio mix/switch for both on one stick. So ya can run 4wd or independent front and rear dive.

I have no clue, 35t,45t, or 55t on the motors.

45t is a good speed/power combo with 3s. 55t is too slow and 35t is on the fast side, but nice if ya can control it.

And then what pinions to use?

I would start with 14t with a 45t motor.

Which ESC's to be exact?

Like I said, I like the tekin fxr for dual esc setups. The fxr/45t combos are great bang for the buck!

I will just use a 3S lipo. How many mAh?

800-1500mah should give ya 15-30+ min but get at least 30c (more is better). I like Hyperion batteries and chargers.

I just got a CC Pro BEC to handle the load.

Kool

And I like thaT I am using my heli X9303 9 channel Trans with a AR6100 Rx for the ability to do independent steering.

Yes, very Kool!

I don't know that I can ever do competition because I work all over the country.

There are comps all over. Lots are posted in the comp section here and more on local sites plus most hobby shops can point ya to them.

This is more for playing right now.

That is what it all about! Having fun!!

So am I missing anything now? Thanks for the advise!
There are always more upgrades but that should get ya going if ya have the kit, except for tires (rovers/sodonas). AS ya get into it a chassis/wheels/shocks/300s...... Check out the berg section for lots of ideas.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

You the man "oldhippie"! Thanks for you help. Now to start ordering parts.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Sorry to keep buggin.

What are "300's"

Which big bore shocks?

And how do I upload pictures on this forum?