Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Lipo vs nimh and a few noob ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lipo vs nimh and a few noob ?

Hey guys just a few questions about lipos vs nimh...if I have a 5000mah nimh and a 5000mah lipo..will it give me similar run times? Because lipo has a cutoff?...also will I feel more power? 7.2nimh vs 7.4 I think lipo 30c..?...and what about water is water bad for lipos? Because I run my nimh underwater and it's still sweet..also if I get 5800 30c 2s lipo can I use my Eflite charger from my heli? It's says 2s to 3s capable balancer charger aswell but it might take around 9hours to charge though just wondering if I will harm my lipo if I do? Thanks heaps
gymjunkie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Lol wow that's a fury of questions man. Well when it comes to crawlers the C rating isn't really that important. In regards to a nimh and lipo both rated at 5000mah both in theory should last the same. But as we all know you will get more consistent usable power with the lipo as it is more efficient and lighter than nimh.

Also not sure about your Eflite charger but if you said it takes 9 hours to charge a lipo I guess you have one of those cheap over night trickle chargers. Get a decent lipo charger if you plan on going lipo. Definitely nice to bring with you during comps since you can just hook it up to your car if you run out of juice.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Lol wow that's a fury of questions man. Well when it comes to crawlers the C rating isn't really that important. In regards to a nimh and lipo both rated at 5000mah both in theory should last the same. But as we all know you will get more consistent usable power with the lipo as it is more efficient and lighter than nimh.

Also not sure about your Eflite charger but if you said it takes 9 hours to charge a lipo I guess you have one of those cheap over night trickle chargers. Get a decent lipo charger if you plan on going lipo. Definitely nice to bring with you during comps since you can just hook it up to your car if you run out of juice.
Thanks mate..the charger is fine I don't compmor anything and if a 5800 will give me 4hours plus that's too much lol I don't mind leaving it overnight just wondering I'f it's bad for the lipo? Thanks again
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
MODERATOR™

Lipos charge at a constant amperage until it hits a certain voltage, then the charger scales back the amperage while holding the voltage constant until the battery hits its peak. I personally would be weary of letting a lipo sit on a charger for 9 hours overnight, somewhat unattended. I'm also somewhat surprised a charger will go for that long without shutting itself off.

And Lipo batteries and water don't really mix well. The typically used PCB board inside is the issue, not the cells themselves. You could always put it in a balloon.

And C ratings do matter, but maybe not for a pack with that much capacity.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys just bought a venom pro charger..what amp should I charge it on 5amps? Also every when do I need to discharge it? The lipo is new 5800 30c 2s....and every when do you balance it? Thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymjunkie23 View Post
Thanks guys just bought a venom pro charger..what amp should I charge it on 5amps? Also every when do I need to discharge it? The lipo is new 5800 30c 2s....and every when do you balance it? Thanks
charge it at 1C, read your chargers manual to figure out how to set it, its differn't for all mAh's packs.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if u can, balance at the same time you charge all the time to help ensure safety and longer life of the lipo.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote