Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Broken Axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Unhappy Broken Axle

Please help a newbie

5 minutes into the FIRST batery in my rtr gelande rig from rc4wd, i hear a snap. Broken axle shaft. The pin at the dog bone end snapped and bent like a piece of wire.

I am very new to this hobby and did not realise that a crawler could break itself that easily! Or is the standard axle shaft in the trex60 just that soft?

Would it be wise to get the XVD axle shafts instead of the heavy duty ones?

Now I feel like I should tear it down and check all the internals of the axles just to be sure.
Nism0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Tear a part the axle and check all the inner gears for any missing teeth.

I broke a dog bone within 2 minutes - on flat carpet - after replacing it because I never checked the whole axle.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Wow I am surprised that you broke a dog bone! I don't have any experience with RC4WD's rigs or components. Crawler axles are usually pretty tough and you only break them maybe after an entire year or so of competition. If I were you I'd get the heavy duty dog bones. I don't trust CVD's (RC4WD calls them XVD) since they aren't as strong. How hard were you driving it when this happened?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
RCC Addict

From my experience with RC4WD stuff I would say go eith the xvd's they seem to be a lot stronger on the stuff I have had. I only had to replace 1 xvd from them and several dog bones. Now dog bones are stronger in some cases it just depends on who makes them. I do have a friend that keeps brakeing dog bones but it is cause he doesn't have end points and it turns to sharp and gets in a bind with one side out and one in the doesn't go back in right SNAP. He is waiting on a new controller now with end points.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
How hard were you driving it when this happened?
I am not sure really, seeing as it was my first time with a crawler. My RC experience is with touring cars only. And i never had axle problems with those.

I think the end points is a good idea. It may be that i had the wheel cought on a rock and the one side of the pin was probably not in properly. Some sort of mechanical end point would probably have prevented this (or snapped something else )

Oh well, never a dull moment in this hobby. (except when waiting for replacement parts ) Thanks for the advice guys.
Nism0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Contact RC4WD and tell them about it then ask for a free replacement part. They have great customer service.

I have read elsewhere that someone else had the smae exact problem as you so it might be a design issue...
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote