Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Is DX3R worth it just to get FWD with unlocked rear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Is DX3R worth it just to get FWD with unlocked rear

i recently purchased a vanquish dig. but im using a DX3.0 transmitter so i only have 2 positions 4WD and dig. im thinking of upgrading to the DX3R but i wanna know how important is the middle setting on the dig. the FWD with free wheel in rear? does it help that much on steep climbs and is that the only place it helps. im trying to justify spending $300 for just one setting on my dig but it is a lot of money for only that
keithgemmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I found no use for the middle setting on the dig. I never really found a spot where locking up the rear was less beneficial than freewheeling the rear. Just keep it as a 2 position in my eyes. I'm sure there are other things the dx3r does that the 3.0 wont do, like displaying more info, and things of that nature. But as for its use with the dig, I'd say 2 position in your situation is fine.
yjdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Hoof Hearted?

I actually use the rear freewheel alot. Vertical climbs, sidehilling, getting unbound out of a hole, etc. If your looking to get a 3r just for the 3 position switch, I would recommend the dx3e. It's a third of the price and has a selectable 2 pos, 3 pos, or linear 3rd channel. Don't get me wrong, I love my 3r but you're right about it being alot of money just to gain 1 switch position.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

can i use my receivers that came with my dx3.0 and use them on the dx3r will it work with them since there different dsm tech.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
D-Wray 4 Prez!

They should work. On spektrum's website, they have a list of what rx's work with the dx3r. Which is almost all of them.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Freewheel is a debatable advantage. Most all MOA rigs out there crawl just fine without freewheel. Some trucks run Dual ESC's that give you control over the rear motor to just let it creep along if need be. But it is not free nor will it ever be on an MOA.

In a shafty, Freewheel can help in certain situations. BUT.... One disadvantage that I've found when using Freewheel in a Shafty is that a lot of times when you put your truck in freewheel to get out of a hole, it will allow the truck to become unloaded. Meaning that if your front end is pushed into a rock and its a matter of holding your position, if you keep the rear locked and use your front tires to pull/push your truck up and over or out of an obstacle, you are more likely to have good control over your truck.
If you freewheel in a situation like this, you will essentially cause your truck to unload causing it to lose pressure against the surface you are trying to climb. Sometimes it can cause your truck to roll back a little costing you a reverse penalty.

Freewheel is something that I thought I'd miss when I switched to an MOA but it is something that i've learned to live without.

Freewheel is nice in certain situations like sidehilling when you can let your front tires carry you across a incline but you can also just lock the rear and drag it along too. When you dig, you truck will lower itself to the ground, lowering your CG and giving you a lot more control. When freewheeling, there is no change other than your front wheels are doing the work where the rears are just following along without resistance.

Its a tradeoff that is not worth the money IMO. If you have a radio that only has a 2 position 3rd channel and you don't plan on upgrading to an MOA or something else. Just stick with what you have.

A DX3R is a radio that you could grow into but its not necessary. I run a Futaba 3PK and It can do everything I need it to right now. It has programmable mixing and can run my dual ESC setup just like a 4pk. I saved a lot of money when i learned that!

Making your setup simpler will make you a better driver. I see people use dig a lot more than they need to at times, guys with shafties use freewheel when they shouldn't sometimes and sometimes they lock the rear when it would be better to freewheel. Not having to worry about that will in effect make you concentrate more on your driving rather than worrying about when to freewheel and when to lock.

It all boils down to preference. But take it from someone who has done it and learned to live without it. Its just not enough of an advantage to worry about.
If and only if you really know when and how to use it can it be an advantage. But otherwise, its just something else to contemplate and possibly cause you points in a comp, when your main priority should be finishing the course.

Hope this helps with your decision a little.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
RCC Addict

You can always try a DX3. You can get a used one for around $100 and they have a 3 pos 3rd channel. And they are all digital unlike the DX3e.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

dx3e had 3 positions 100 bucks but like jcboof was sayin freewheel is not necessary losi's have worm gears so free wheel isnt an option there and it seems like the worm gear thing is gonna take over the shafty world soon here

Last edited by murderface; 09-24-2010 at 04:00 AM.
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
You can always try a DX3. You can get a used one for around $100 and they have a 3 pos 3rd channel. And they are all digital unlike the DX3e.
X2. Thats what I run and it works great for 3 pos. Got mine for well less than 100 bucks used though. I think I've got 65-70 bucks.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

if i purchase a DX3R will i be able to use that on a MOA say in a year or so
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

DX3R?

you want 4pk!!! LOL

Short answer, when you're vertical trying to make a climb with only the rear wheels on the ground, and you want your front tires to grab you some grip........

you want your rear tires to stay put and locked, not just roll out from under you......

freewheel is fawking useless.

you want a 3 pos. dig switch. RC4WD has some cheap 2.4 3ch and 4ch 3pos switch radios.

"Dont see any advantage to the rear wheels locking"

thats classic right there LOL

FW is worthless duders.

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 09-24-2010 at 03:59 PM.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I didn't see a need a 3 position until I got my DX3R, but you'll find a lot of situations where it comes in handy, like anything else, you just have to practice using it...

For some strange reason the 4PK crowd feels the need butt into DX3R threads, even though no one asked about the 4PK... Yeah, great radio, yeah, costs a lot more for an extra channel and being more difficult to set up...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

if you dont understand the programming.....

you probably dont understand the true benefits of that system

it was a joke you lame ass. i dont own one.

god forbid someone should add a little sarcasm to their post.

funny how you ignore that i pointed out that he can get a 3ch, or 4ch from RC4WD for a damn good price....

you should personally take your signature to heart a little more often.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboof View Post
Making your setup simpler will make you a better driver. I see people use dig a lot more than they need to at times, guys with shafties use freewheel when they shouldn't sometimes and sometimes they lock the rear when it would be better to freewheel. Not having to worry about that will in effect make you concentrate more on your driving rather than worrying about when to freewheel and when to lock.
With out a doubt, making your setup as simple as possible is key to being able to use it effectively. I've gone through half a dozen or more configuations for controlling the dig on my DX3, in theory they'd seem to be better, but I keep going back to what I started with, the dig controlled by Switch 'C'.

One thing I don't like about the DX3R is the default possition of the 3rd channel, which is centered. This works well for a MOA, but more than once I have started out with the rear in free wheel and not realize it until I hit the first rock. I have ran through the manual and the radio's menu a couple of times, there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgemmill View Post
i recently purchased a vanquish dig. but im using a DX3.0 transmitter so i only have 2 positions 4WD and dig. im thinking of upgrading to the DX3R but i wanna know how important is the middle setting on the dig. the FWD with free wheel in rear? does it help that much on steep climbs and is that the only place it helps. im trying to justify spending $300 for just one setting on my dig but it is a lot of money for only that
I got my 3r used for around 200,and there are deals like that all the time.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithgemmill View Post
if i purchase a DX3R will i be able to use that on a MOA say in a year or so
Absolutly!
biggin69 is offline   Reply With Quote