Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Decided on a few, need help choosing one.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Default Decided on a few, need help choosing one.

I decided I'm going to get new and not modify my Emaxx, since I am going to keep my Emaxx more of a fast dirt/grass vehicle, and make my stampede into a street truck (basically throw a mamba system, street tires and a wheelie bar on it is good enough for me)

With getting a new one I've decided on a few crawlers that I like. I am getting a trail truck then a full competition crawler, since I really won't be in competition with anyone. I do want though 4 wheel steer that can be turned on and off, maybe controlled separately??
Also, since I am getting a scale type of crawler, is there anyway to have a dig that switches between RWD or 4wd? I don't exactly know what digs do what, but I know the ones I am seeing lock the rear up or let it roll, or have it powered. I basically want the rear to be powered all the time, and allow the front to roll or be powered. Is there a dig that lets you lock up/roll/power both axles independently?

I've decided that I will get one of the following:
  • HPI Crawler King (defender body)
  • Venom Safari Creeper (I would have to find a nice painted body on Ebay or something, since I don't like the one that it comes with)
  • SCX10 RTR Trail Honcho (I would also get the upgraded parts that come in a kit)
  • Komodo XL 2.2

I don't know which one would work for me, and I plan on getting a new body for all but the Komodo and SCX10. I also think I might get a lighting system for whichever one I get.
tn102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Go with the scx10. Go with the 4 wheels steer and a 3 position modded TQ3.

Last edited by calikingcrawler; 10-12-2010 at 10:56 PM.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

SCX10- it already has the lights and an awesome scale body, and everyone has parts for them.
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

X2 on the SCX-10. There are so many upgrades available that you can't throw a rock without hitting a vendor.

If you want to do the thing with RWD and 4WD it is fairly easy. Get an R2 Dig tranny and mount it to where the motor and everything points to the front and then just adjust the throw on the 3rd channel.
TXJeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

SCX-10. Best supported scale truck, everyone has parts and there is tons of information on here about them.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You'll have a lot more fun and get a lot more aftermarket support with an SCX10.

And a Honcho already has lights.

What you want to do as far as 4WD/RWD is fully possible, but it will take some aftermarket parts, some modification, the right TX, and a little tuning...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #7

I am going with the SCX10 kit. I want to get the Axial NVS, so it has blinkers and such, so the honco having lights already doesn't matter.

I'm gonna go with the TQ4, since it has a 3 position 4th channel, and a 2 position 3rd. The 4th will be for steer (on where it turns the same, off, and on where it turns opposite)and 3rd will be for the rwd/4wd.

I think I'm going to get a brush-less system for my stampede, and use the XL-5 out of it for this, and a titan 550 21 turn motor. Will this work?

For a body I am most likely going to go withPro-Line Ford F-650.

For steering I am probably going to get the waterproof traxxas servos that come in the stampede, since they have more torque than the ones that come in the emaxx, unless there is a higher torque waterproof servo.
tn102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I agree with going axial if u can, it looks good, and its like the jeep of rc crawlers, tons of aftermaket availability. The HPI might be cheaper at first, but tougher to find parts.
White Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn102 View Post
I am going with the SCX10 kit. I want to get the Axial NVS, so it has blinkers and such, so the honco having lights already doesn't matter.

Random question.. these are just lit-all-the-time blinkers right? Not controlled by an additional channel? Maybe I'm being a bit petty here but I think fully controllable lights would be excellent.
sforsancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

scx-10.. hands down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
Random question.. these are just lit-all-the-time blinkers right? Not controlled by an additional channel? Maybe I'm being a bit petty here but I think fully controllable lights would be excellent.
You can buy a $75 upgrade module that gives you left blinker when you steer left, etc, and gives you functional control of the lights.
https://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-NV...1-p-18003.html

~Kev

Last edited by Darksiede; 10-15-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Darksiede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

my vote is scx10 100%....
and just as a warning, with the tq4, the 3 pos switch isnt a true 3 pos, you'll still have to mod it.(id mod both to true 3 pos) and you might still have to add epa to both switches. as far as tranny wise, just stick with the axial tranny and ad a dig... turn the tranny around so the dig faces forward..that way you can have 4wd, 2wd and you can lock the front for burnouts.
ae racer is offline   Reply With Quote