Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New at this, Need some direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #1

Default New at this, Need some direction

Ok, so I'm nowhere near new to the rock-crawling scene, but have never messed with these little things before and let me just say, I'm intrigued by them. I am in the process of building a course now at my home for the one that I haven't even built yet. I have several questions.

What is a good motor to buy? and Don't some of them run 2 parallel motors?

The Chassis I'm building myself, like a regular truggy.

What kind of shocks are good, I'm guessing the softer the better but don't know?

What axles are a good buy?

Any direction would be nice, it seems to all make sense, it's everything I currently do scaled down which is kickass, but I need some help on what products are good and what isn't good, so I can get started. I'm doing a lot of reading but any help is much appreciated, thanks.
sprtn4x4cw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtn4x4cw

What is a good motor to buy? and Don't some of them run 2 parallel motors?

The Chassis I'm building myself, like a regular truggy.

What kind of shocks are good, I'm guessing the softer the better but don't know?

What axles are a good buy?
1. either a 45, 55, or 65 turn integy lathe motor
2. most people run Traxxas T-maxx shocks or any other 4 inch shocks
3. depends on how you build it. the ones from a tlt a good for a scale build, clodbuster axles are the easy way out, you could also use txt,x factor, mad force axles, again it depends on what type of truck you want to build
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I was in the same boat as you are in and I'm still learning alot every day.

My advice to you is start reading everything here ,see what kind of crawler you want to build and copy what others have done that has held up to the abuse.
idahorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well if your going to do a truggy and build real trucks, I'd suggest building a "shafty" which around here means a truck with driveshafts. Take a look at the TXT/Juggernaut forum. They are 1/10 scale axles that are top loaders and look just like 2.5 ton Rockwells. Those are pretty sweet, couple those with some Swamp Dawgs (Look like TSL Boggers) and you have yourself some pretty cool looking stuff. Integy makes some functional piggy back shocks, expensive, but cool looking. Look up "MSR4". RC4WD (look in the vendors section) makes CNC'd aluminum double beadlocks with Trail ready looking rock rings. They're not cheap either, but definately cool. Skipster71 (I think, see limiting strap thread in general forum) makes sweet limiting straps. May not need them, but for a cool looking rig, might be what your looking for. Like was said earlier for crawling try a Integy 35,45,55, or 65 turn Matrix pro lathe motor. The lower number of turns the more speed the truck will have, higher number more torque. Most stick with 55t; but depending on how you gear the truck will determine which to use. Buy different turns, they're only like $20 a pop so get some different ones and play around. If you want a smaller scale, use a tranny out of a stampede; use driveshafts off of a Jato with the optional steel u-joints. Searching will yield all these results. Whatever you get, maybe just go with the "status quo" the first time around, then once it's together and you get some drive time on it; you'll see what you want to change, and get and get new ideas of things to try and understand that RC trucks are different than real trucks. Have fun! These things are as addicting as the real ones, they just cost a hell of alot less!
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #5

Thanks for all of the information, especially rerock that sounds really cool and now you're speaking my language, haha. I am actually wanting to possibly run a gas-powered engine if at all possible. Can you get the crawl ratio wanted out of gas-powered with gears in the axles and or transmission? Thanks again all, and I'll check back.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

From what ive read gas=no crawler. Theyre too fast and no one here runs gas to my knowledge and crawls em. Stick with electric.
Yotakid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #7

Yeah I went down to the local hobby s hop yesterday and talked to the guy there and he told me the same thing. There just isn't anyway to slow all that speed down enough to make it "crawl" and it seems like even if there was a way through gearing to do that, you'd just be wasting a lot of power. So I'll go electric, I just hate charging up batteries and stuff ya know. So thanks again everyone, and any more cool ideas would be great, I'll post up a build once I get all my stuff and get started.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well with a 55t lathe motor in my TLT with a 3600mAh pack, I'm getting about 2 hours run time. I can cycle a 3600 pack in about 1h15m. You do the math. I thought about gas too at first, but another thing to remember is heat. Going that slow with those high RPM's being air cooled inside a body, keeping the motor from burning up is a task.
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #9