Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Interested in a TLT, but a little confused

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #1

Default Interested in a TLT, but a little confused

I am not new to Rc, I have had a few RC's, now I am just down to one. Its a modded Revo w/ too much to list. Anyways, my friend just got a Nylint (sp?) crawler and of course I either have to meat him, or one-up him So I got to one-up him. I dont want anything too expensive. So I was looking at the TLT.

Is this thing a Kit? The Rockbuster one. What does it require? I have a radio, and some 6 and 7 cell packs from my POS Trinity IBS that I used to have. Will those packs work?

Also, like stated before, do I need to put it all together?

I just want a little something to mess around with at my buddies house to crawl with. Later down the road, of course, I will want to upgrade a bit, like chassis, wheels, everything, lol.

So is it posible to get TLT running with under $200 with the things I already have?

Thanks, and BTW, I have read all the "How To" threads and they do help, but not realy what I am lookinf for. Thanks again.
zboarder720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

yea i think so...look for good deals...might take some time but i bet it can be done. Sell the other stuff you dont use after its done too and make some money back.
customxprone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboarder720
of course I either have to meat him, or one-up him.
Meat him? I don't like the sound of that... j/k

If you're in SoCal I'd pick one up from Ultimate Hobbies. Thats where I got mine. They have them for cheap!

As far as mods go, I put mine together box stock, played with it for about 8 minutes and tore it apart to modify it. It just gets hung up on everything at stock height. There's tons of info here about how to fix that though! If you already have a radio and battery packs you won't need much else to get rolling. Longer links, dogbones, new 2.2 rims and tires, and a Y harness for rear steer won't set you back too much either. That should be a good start.

Last edited by shutupanddrive; 03-07-2006 at 06:09 PM.
shutupanddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

$70 for TLT kit (yes you put it together)
$45 for tires/wheels, $30 if you get them used
$15 or so for home made arrow links
$30 for some other tranny

So, its looking like, from these add ups, you're going to be very close to $200. Remember you'll need a powerful servo and a powerful motor (55t lathe motor) since no motor is included. I'd say look for someone who bought the wrong tires and is selling them for less than new. That's going to help quite a bit in itself.

Don't expect a crawler out of the box, and most of the things you'll need to do to crawlerize it will be things done on your own with your own ingenuity or gathered ingenuity from the postings here.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #5

If you buy one,b4 you put it together make sure you at least pin the center diff u will regret it if u dont once the truck is running. While you're at it if all you are going to do is crawl with it go ahead and lock the front and rear diffs as well. This will save you from having to jerk it apart and do it later when and if u get serious about modding it to crawl better. Also check Ebay you might find a deal like i did. Built truck,3800mah matched pack,orion 15tx2 method r motor, pro line masher tires on a nice set of chrome rims, it had been streched about two inches, extra unpainted body and two cans of tamiya paint, plus all original parts to make it back stock including stock rims and tires(witch are now on my nylint btw) got all this for $180 buy it now and $20 for shipping.
Scorpion King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #6

OK, sounds good. So the 55t lathe motor is pretty good? Do you have a link to that? Also, I will need an ESC, correct?

I can do ok for now without the tires (I also have some I can use I think) and what is wrong with the stock tranny? I see the hot setup is the Traxxas Stampede tranny, but whats wrong with the stock one?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion King
If you buy one,b4 you put it together make sure you at least pin the center diff u will regret it if u dont once the truck is running. While you're at it if all you are going to do is crawl with it go ahead and lock the front and rear diffs as well. This will save you from having to jerk it apart and do it later when and if u get serious about modding it to crawl better. Also check Ebay you might find a deal like i did. Built truck,3800mah matched pack,orion 15tx2 method r motor, pro line masher tires on a nice set of chrome rims, it had been streched about two inches, extra unpainted body and two cans of tamiya paint, plus all original parts to make it back stock including stock rims and tires(witch are now on my nylint btw) got all this for $180 buy it now and $20 for shipping.
That sounds like a great deal. I have been surching ebay for a stock one with the electronics. Thats realy all I need for now. Untill I get more money and slowly hop it up.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboarder720
and what is wrong with the stock tranny? I see the hot setup is the Traxxas Stampede tranny, but whats wrong with the stock one?
The stock tranny is junk! It is belt driven and the belt will slip every time you put it into a bind.
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The belt will pop around the pulleys. The pulleys are made of junk plastic. I did this way back in the day when I had designed a chassis around the stock tranny:

Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #10

WOW, got it.