Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Anyone use these shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Anyone use these shocks?

They are the internal spring ones from rc4wd. Im wondering if the spring rate is light enough for a tlt? Can you change the springs inside?
http://rc4wd.com/shop/product_info.p...oducts_id=1115
Yotakid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Just get them, try them out, and if you don't like them sell 'em.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

DO NOT GET THEM. They are a very bad deal, basically aluminum Maxx shocks with Mini-T springs inside. Make a set yourself and it will be cheaper.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

i think they r cool for the springless bling factor but what if the springs are to stiff or vice versa? have fun finding a spring to work. i just picked up 4 integy msr4's for $30 and would take them over those rc4wd ones any day.
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlsalot
i think they r cool for the springless bling factor but what if the springs are to stiff or vice versa? have fun finding a spring to work. i just picked up 4 integy msr4's for $30 and would take them over those rc4wd ones any day.
Ya thats what im worried about is them being too stiff. I like how scale looking they are, almost like air shocks. Thats what im going for is the most scale looking. The problem with buying, trying out and selling is im 16 so i need something that i can work with and if it needs something like psirngs theyre cheap because this isa budget build. Thanks for the input.
Yotakid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:48 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

All i can say is Integy msr are perfect! i got the msr5 super duty for my big scaler.. it's just great for crawlers. Im getting my second set today for my second crawler project. This time im trying out the longest models, before i tried the maxx versions, and i was 100% satisfied, great quality and just feels real good, easy to find springs to etc.
Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I must agree. I am very glad I went with the MSR4's for my TLT. I bought stock maxx shocks, but upgraded almost immediately. It's nice too because when you buy a bag, you get 8.
rerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Can you run the msr5's on a clod? I have and old school Clodzilla 2 I am rebuilding for pulling and plowing I currently have the duratrax gold 4" shocks on it But I was looking to upgrade
Troystr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troystr68
Can you run the msr5's on a clod? I have and old school Clodzilla 2 I am rebuilding for pulling and plowing I currently have the duratrax gold 4" shocks on it But I was looking to upgrade
You should be able to do that quite easy, running those msr5 shocks on a clod... i cant see why not. Go for thos maxx size shocks, and you should have a easy fit i think.

Only thing is, you prob can't use the msr6, they are just too damn big.. they look beefy and cool, but they are for much bigger scales and would look a little silly on a 1/10 - 1/7 i think. I thought of using them for my project now, that is about 1/6... but it just don't feel right, to beefy for that rock/trial scale look.

Have filled up my latest msr5 now, all eight of them... i thought it would never end put a stiffer spring in them, and they look just fine. And then i took the new truck (never even tried it before this, just out of the box and..) apart and it's resting here on the table in pieces, started with locking the diffs.... my 2nd project has now officially started

Let me tell you this, after i locked the diff on my txt-1 (never done something like that before) i just cant live without a locked diff on any offroad these days, it just makes such a huge improvment over a open diff, it just like night and day difference.
For me nowdays it's a must to first lock the diffs, then fix all the rest

Just a little basic bla bla bla down below
locked diffs (both front AND rear), solid axels, wheelbase, good shockplacement, weight placement (very important thing to think about under the project) downgearing and drive line (check over the package, from engine to the wheels if need to improve strength for what you are planning to do with it) 4ws.. rear streering is a good idea if you lock the diffs.. not a must, but is a good thing to have.
And some nice soft sticky tires are a good investment for crawling those hard dry rocks.
Automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #10