Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scale...kinda...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scale...kinda...?

Is it just me or when someone is building a "scale" rig and the 1:1 version of that rig uses a certain type of suspension (leafs all around, front coils/rear leafs, coils all around) shouldn't the scale rig run with that same design? (unless stated as part of the character of the build, like a Sammy with coil conversion done, or a YJ with a stretched coil front and rear longer leafs...so on and so forth)

I mean it's just my opinion but I was wondering what others thought about this...didn't know if it was just my anal retentive nature...lol
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

If I were going to build a scaler to replicate my 1:1 I would try to get as close as I could unless doing so somehow hindered the performance of the scaler...that is if I planned on actually using it as intended. If it were mostly for show then I wouldn't care so much. I would like to replicate my 1:1 to a point when I finally get a crawler...anyone know if there is a Jeep Grand Cherokee body available?
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

^^Sure isn't...lol (at least not for anything bigger than the micro crawler)

Gotta do some searchin for that one. You will have to find some hard body from a toy RC somewhere and modify it to fit what ever crawler you plan to start with. And if you're lookin for a ZJ body good luck...lol. There seems to be a couple larger hardbody WJ's out there. But I haven't seen a ZJ body that was bigger than 1:20th or 1:25th scale (and I would love to build a ZJ!! since I can't afford to build a 1:1 but don't really want to build a micro just yet)
Old 11-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I figured I wouldn't be so lucky. I do like the XJ bodies though so that is probably what I'll roll with until I can find something that will work in the G. Cherokee variety...if I mean.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

And I agree with what you're sayin, but at the same time I am going to try and build it to scale down to the suspension design. And if it doesn't perform well I will do what I can to modify that design to work on and off the trail.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

There is an Axial for sale on my local CL and I swear it looks like it has a ZJ body. I have an email in to the seller to see for sure. If it is in fact a ZJ I am going to see if he will part with it or at least tell me where he got it.

Last edited by Nubster; 11-03-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

^^
nice!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ugg...he says it is a 91' XJ body. After looking closer I missed that it was just a two door. So the search continues.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

two door is a hell of a lot more rare...
Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Chit chat...
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

"Scale" is a relative term. It all depends on how close the builder wants to get. If you are talking about a contest on how scale you can make a RC, then all of those factors matter (suspension, axels, etc...). But most of us just go for "scale-ish", in that, it looks something like a 1:1.

Also, there are parts you just can't scale down this far, they'd never withstand the punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
Chit chat...
Agreed
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

^^Well I understand what you're saying, axles and links (steering, and suspension) wouldn't hold up to much abuse if they were sized down to "scale" let alone a few other parts. I guess the point I was making is there are a lot of guys that run a leaf sprung scale rig and tweak it enough to do fine. So I just don't get why people have a real nice lookin scale rig with suspension that doesn't fit it's make/model, that's all.

And as for the "Chit Chat" comment...I thought since this was a newbie asking what I thought to be a pretty newbie question it should go here. But...I will remember that for next time. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
Chit chat...
Useless comment...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Then report the thread instead of coming here making pointless comments, especially when the thread has nothing to do with you.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya2003 View Post
^^Sure isn't...lol (at least not for anything bigger than the micro crawler)

Gotta do some searchin for that one. You will have to find some hard body from a toy RC somewhere and modify it to fit what ever crawler you plan to start with. And if you're lookin for a ZJ body good luck...lol. There seems to be a couple larger hardbody WJ's out there. But I haven't seen a ZJ body that was bigger than 1:20th or 1:25th scale (and I would love to build a ZJ!! since I can't afford to build a 1:1 but don't really want to build a micro just yet)
Um they are out there. Search WARPIGs builds. I think he has had 3 of them now. Pretty close to 1/12 or larger
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

if you truely wanted a scale "production" truck then the tires would be so small it would be useless for crawling. We are reproducing 1:1 scale crawlers, which rarely stay in stock form.

The group of guys I used to 4x4 with included an older 4runner with an front from of an early bronco solid axle with coils and custom 4-link coils rear, a cherokee with TJ front coils in the rear, a pack of coil sprung suzukis, and a CJ on a hydraulic independant suspension from a Gamma Goat.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

If you guys want to bicker...pm each other. Please don't jack my thread to go on about who is right.

Thanks for the "tip" about having this post in the wrong thread. I thought the point of the newbie section was to have a place for newbs to post and make a mistake or two without gettin hammered on. Got it, lets move on.

As for the discussion at hand, I'm not saying that every part of the truck needs to be 100% scale to it's "production" counter part that would be no fun, modeling something after a "modified" rig is the only way this hobby is as fun as it is. I just think it puts some of these scale builds over the top when the common 1:1 rigs suspension is used. In response to the point about the tires size...a 37 inch tire sized down to 1:10 scale is about 3.7 inches tall. So most tires that are run on in the 1.9 scale scene fit the scale definition I'm talkin about (give or a take an inch or two for a 1:1)

Mud Puppy - You are rollin with people that have way more built rigs than I have been with. For the most part even the guys that have built rigs around here still use the stock suspension design coil or leafs (granted they use longer flatter springs for most leaf sprung rigs).

So it seems that this is a mixed bag really. I'll just "chock" it up to my anal-retentive nature and build any of the rigs I want to with that in mind

Thanks for the different opinions and points of view.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Mud Puppy - You are rollin with people that have way more built rigs than I have been with. For the most part even the guys that have built rigs around here still use the stock suspension design coil or leafs (granted they use longer flatter springs for most leaf sprung rigs).
Most of the guys I ran with weren't that hard core either, but there are a few who's rigs are basically $80,000 rock buggies diguised as Jeeps or cruisers.
Here's two of the best known:
Ryeguy's Hulk

And Gebby's Gamma-goat CJ

Both have been in Four-Wheel Magazine's top truck challenge.
Compared to Gebby's rig my AX10 on 2.2 Comp-claws is practically scale
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I think I saw that CJ for sale back when I was lookin about 6 months ago...looks very familiar...lol
Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think I saw that CJ for sale back when I was lookin about 6 months ago...looks very familiar...lol
If it had a 500 cube cadi engine and hydraulic independant suspension then it might be the same one. Gebby has been talking on and off about selling it for years.

Tags
worthless stupid thread