Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Helicopter Radios vs Surface Radios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #1

Default Helicopter Radios vs Surface Radios

Is it better to use a helicopter radio (Spektrum DX7) than a surface radio (Spektrum DX3R) for an electronic DIG (front and rear) configuration on a crawler (Berg 2.2)? I already have the DX7 and trying to decide whether i still need the DX3R, i don’t have an idea how to use surface radios to control the rear and front wheels independently - for the helicopter radio i assume we use both sticks (only the throttle stick doesn’t return to neutral). Futaba radios aren’t being considered at this time.

I’m used to helicopter radios but i also have a Traxxas trigger (if that’s what its called) radio from my RTR trucks so it’s not really an issue of familiarity. I just don’t have a higher quality surface radio although i dream of having one but need more reasons to justify buying one.
orianthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I used to be a stick radio guy. Just so easy to have lots of control. After a while I got really tired of lugging it around, they are just bulky and heavy in the grand scheme of things.

First I got a Nomadio. Worked good, had plenty of bugs though. Then I got a DX3. Worked pretty good, but not enough mixing for my tastes. Now I run a 4pk, and it has all the control of my 6 and 7 channel radios did (minus a bit of course), but I have never wished for anything more. They are lighter, I can drive with one hand and hold a beverage in the other, and in general I just don't see a reason to go back to a stick radio at this point.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #3

I just started using a DX7, because I had it. I love it, the control is amazing. I modified the throttle so it would return to center. I mix did some mixing and use the thro for combined F/R and then rud for front and rear dig.
JohnRobHolmes has very good points on size and beverage restrictions but at this time $$ keeps me from a 4Pk.
Rock-Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If it weren't for those two points (or if I had a tray for my beverage ) I would still run stick radios. Walking around at the family farm with the scaler really pounded the decision to switch to the pistol grip.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #5

Coming from the air, I'm more comfortable with two sticks so I mod the spare DX7 to run my Hustler Super.
Kwarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have a Futaba 6EX (center return for free!) and a Tactic 4CH. Im used to using stick radios now. Can't see myself spending $500 on a 4ch pistol grip. Most of my rigs require 4chs at the very least. My current scaler is running Front/Rear winches, 2speed,Dig Throttle and Steering.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #7

im using the dx7 right now. definitely not as comfortable as a pistol grip but you can do more with a moa on the fly then pistol (in my oppinion), its just a matter of getting used to it and developing the muscle memory for it
Russellx is offline   Reply With Quote