Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Budget Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Budget Build

Im looking to build a crawler on a budget. Nothing comp worthy, just something to bash around with. I've found all the following for $100 and will use this as the base of the build.
  • SWX Bender Chassis (with links and Invader Shocks)
  • AXIAL AX10 tranny +drive shafts & spur and pinion gear.
  • Axial motor and ESC
  • 55T Integy motor
  • Digital Automatic LRP ESC

For $100. Supposed to pick it up Friday.

I've got a Proline Escalade body that's supposed to replace the worn out one on my 2.5 Revo.

Any advice, cautions, concerns?
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #2

What axles are you planning to use?
scootgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Im looking to build a crawler on a budget. Nothing comp worthy, just something to bash around with. I've found all the following for $100 and will use this as the base of the build.
  • SWX Bender Chassis (with links and Invader Shocks)
  • AXIAL AX10 tranny +drive shafts & spur and pinion gear.
  • Axial motor and ESC
  • 55T Integy motor
  • Digital Automatic LRP ESC

For $100. Supposed to pick it up Friday.

I've got a Proline Escalade body that's supposed to replace the worn out one on my 2.5 Revo.

Any advice, cautions, concerns?

If i were you I would build the truck as capable and comp worthy as possible so that you can compete at a later date. Then you will know how well your truck performs, and how to drive it well. Know ing how to drive your crawler is one of the biggest things that will help you place in comps. Check out the site and see if there are any clubs in your town, Rc crawling is the most fun thing that i have done as a hobby/sport. Building is is half of the fun, and the other is driving. Put them together and you have one very fun and addicting sport.

Your list looks good so far, I assume you will be using axial axles. If so check out the Ax10 section of the forum and you will find any and all info you need, and if you ever need any parts I'd suggest rpphobby.com, Great customer service, knowledge of the hobby, and safe, secure, and fast shipping.

Hope that i gave you some useful info, welcome to RCCrawler.com.

Crawl on,
-Lance
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootgarage View Post
What axles are you planning to use?
Axial if I can find them at a decent price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
If i were you I would build the truck as capable and comp worthy as possible so that you can compete at a later date. Then you will know how well your truck performs, and how to drive it well. Know ing how to drive your crawler is one of the biggest things that will help you place in comps. Check out the site and see if there are any clubs in your town, Rc crawling is the most fun thing that i have done as a hobby/sport. Building is is half of the fun, and the other is driving. Put them together and you have one very fun and addicting sport.

Your list looks good so far, I assume you will be using axial axles. If so check out the Ax10 section of the forum and you will find any and all info you need, and if you ever need any parts I'd suggest rpphobby.com, Great customer service, knowledge of the hobby, and safe, secure, and fast shipping.

Hope that i gave you some useful info, welcome to RCCrawler.com.

Crawl on,
-Lance
Thanks Lance for both the welcome and the advice!

The guy selling the stuff (semi-local) also has some brand new Proline Mashers and beadlock rims as well as a Dingo body. I'm going to see if I can get those as well for a good price.

I am going to try and get some Axial axles if I can find a decent set at a decent price.

I've been into Paintball for 15+ years and am looking to back off the sport a little bit and pursue other interests. I'll still play, I just won't whore guns as much as I have been lately.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I competed in paintball for about a year, i was a back man in a team with some locals, had 2 protos and i ended up straying from the game/sport, because of how much the paint and field srental/competitions costs. Then i found out about Rcc and i looked around this site for proly 2 years, then joined and bought a crawler. Thats were My RC crawling hobby got started, I started competing in my local club right away, and im glad i did. Going to a comp and participating or even watching will get you hooked. I own 3 trucks right now: 2.2 T1e Stage Bully, Axial Scx10, and my latest/favorite so far is my Super Bully.

For your truck i would recommend 2.2 Hot Bodies Rovers(white dot) or Hot Bodies 2.2 Sedona's. That is if your going to compete.
To just have a truck to mess with, Have you though of or looked at the Axial scx10 Scale truck? Scale trucks are a blast, you can compete in scale events or just have a truck that resembles a 1:1 rig to mess around with. They perform pretty good, alittle over your budget that you posted, but something you may want to look at. There is alot of this info in the scale section of the forum.

I have some friends that may have axial axles that they will sell BTW. I'll let you know later on in a PM.

Hope this info helps, if you need any help with your build shoot a PM to me.

-Lance
Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I've been playing 15+ years. Played tournament ball back in the late '90's early 2000s. Got out of that because of the way the sport was shifting. I've had over 300+ guns in the last few years. Mainly into older and pump guns. Some newer stuff, but not a lot.

I traded one gun for a Traxxas Revo 2.5 w/ brand new Picco Max .26 and a TON of parts and accessories. It arrived today. I traded another gun for a Traxxas Rustler w/ parts. It should be here tomorrow. So begins my life in RC.

As for the crawler, I'm looking to build one as cheap as possible. Used stuff mainly. Nothing to compete with because I believe my girl is going to get me an XR-10 kit for Christmas or my birthday in Feb. One or the other. Or both, lol.

This is just to bash around with. Something to get myself familiar with the concept. A buget baby-step if you will. I'll shoot you a PM when I run into a wall, and I will. Hit me up if they wanna part w/ them for a good price.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well, now I'm torn. Do I go ahead and buy this stuff from the guy tomorrow and try to piece together a crawler, or pick up the Losi Micro-Crawler tonight from the local Hobby Store? Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Don't buy the micro unless you enjoy crawling on you keyboard, its to small. I think you'd be better with an ax10, losi nightcrawler, or even a venom creeper.

-Lance
Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I agree the micro crawlers are tiny. If you build model cars thats what size they are.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeManiac View Post
Don't buy the micro unless you enjoy crawling on you keyboard, its to small. I think you'd be better with an ax10, losi nightcrawler, or even a venom creeper.

-Lance
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent View Post
I agree the micro crawlers are tiny. If you build model cars thats what size they are.
Well, I believe the lil lady is going to be getting me an XR-10 kit after the new year (we do our own little Christmas then so we can focus more on the kids and family). This would be more to just play around in the house with.

To be honest, I've got a couple of Traxxas Nitro trucks (2.5 Revo and 2.5 Rustler) that I just got in and are causing major frustration right now. The Micro would be a fun lil project that I could actually run right now. otherwise, it's buying pieces here and there when I get the funds and nothing to really have fun with. The idea was that the micro would give me something to at least toy around with when the others started frustrating me and while I wait until I can actually get a regular crawler.

That said, anyone want a Nitro Traxxas
Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Well, I believe the lil lady is going to be getting me an XR-10 kit after the new year (we do our own little Christmas then so we can focus more on the kids and family). This would be more to just play around in the house with.

To be honest, I've got a couple of Traxxas Nitro trucks (2.5 Revo and 2.5 Rustler) that I just got in and are causing major frustration right now. The Micro would be a fun lil project that I could actually run right now. otherwise, it's buying pieces here and there when I get the funds and nothing to really have fun with. The idea was that the micro would give me something to at least toy around with when the others started frustrating me and while I wait until I can actually get a regular crawler.

That said, anyone want a Nitro Traxxas

I understand what your saying, but the thing is the micro is so incredibly tiny, sometimes piecing together a rig is alot of fun, and when people say "man thats really cool did you build it?" If you pieced it together you will get to say "yeah you like it?" Like i said i have been into Rc's for a long time, I build all of the trucks that i have in my possesion ATM. You can build a truck cheaper, and you will gain knowledge that you will use later on when you get more involved with the hobby.

Oh and your best bet would be to part out the nitro stuff on RCTECH.com
There hard to sell trust me Ive had lots of nitros, if you dont part them out you will have them for years:/

Btw, don't try to sell anything on here until you get access to the forsale threads. Your not suppose to post anything forsale in any other place but the forsale section. <just letting you know
Old 12-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I hear what you're saying brother. I'll keep what you said in mind and talk to the Old Lady.

As for the selling things, that was more tongue in cheeck than anything. I'm too stuborn to just quit and walk away.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #13

Default nitro

alright this is going to banshemaniac. i have a nitro rc car and going to get into crawling so it would be best to part the nitro out how mch do u usally get for the nitro after its been parted out
Diesiel man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesiel man View Post
alright this is going to banshemaniac. i have a nitro rc car and going to get into crawling so it would be best to part the nitro out how mch do u usally get for the nitro after its been parted out

I'll send you a pm later on tonight once i get home from work so as to not jack this thread. Im in PA so i'll send you the pm around 10pm tonight, i'll explain it as well as i can.

-Lance