Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need some guidance please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need some guidance please.

Hey guys whats up, sifting through threads and this seemed like best spot to start. I have a ton of expierence with building 1.1 jeeps and toyotas, but this is my first rc crawler. Having a built jeep I understand what dig is and proper four link geometry, high steer, wheel base adv disadv blah blah blah. What I need help with is the electrical side of things. I will be recieving a redcat rs10 in the next few days and I want to be able to drive it for an extended period of time. It comes with a 8 hour wall charger and some type of battery(7.2v 1500mAh )Waiting 8hrs to play simply will not do. I was wondering if the battery that comes stock is good, how much run time can I expect from a charge, and should I get more of the same batteries and a quick charger or uprgrade battery packs? Thanks in advance. Steven
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Not real familure with the battery that comes with the redcat but if it's like most it will just get you buy.
If you can afford it pick up some lipo batteries and lipo compatable charger. The higher mAh the better, that and use is what determins your run time. In my scaler running 5000mAh packs I get 2.5 hours of run time, in my comp rig running 1300mAh lipo's I get about 30 min. run time. Crawlers dont pull the power like a race rig, your not going to have the throttle mashed constantly like a racer so your packs will last longer between charges.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info. Whats the best bettery(longest run) I can find without converting to Li-po? I guess any 7.2v will work?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
Suck it up!

cheapbatterypacks.com lets you build your own batteries. Check it out and see what you can come up with.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Cool thanks.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

i got some packs on hobbyking they seem to be working fine got a 2s 7.4...good prices especially for holiday season
scteggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Steven, welcome to RCC and we would love to see the 1:1!!

As for the RS10, some things you will want to look at changing is the electronics and also the tires. Tires well, pretty much anything better than stock! The electronics will just get you buy as stated. Lipos is the way to go. More power and run time! You will need to look at a new charger, lipos, and a new ESC or LVC. I know it can be a lot for someone new to the hobby to take in. So please feel free to PM me or email me with any questions you may have. We can get your RS10 up and running right!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote