Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Hey guys and gals, I'm new and just wanted to get acquainted here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #1

Default Hey guys and gals, I'm new and just wanted to get acquainted here

First of all, merry christmas everyone, but anyways, my names cameron or cam and Im really new to the crawling deal. I use to run nitro stadium trucks about 6 years ago, but I just started getting really interested into the crawling hobby. I dont know a lot about rc cars, so i bought an rtr, because i wouldnt have been able to build it myself. But i bought a losi nightcrawler, and ive already been told that the comp crawler was a little bit better, but i had no idea.

Buuuut the main thing im interested in is upgrading my truck and what not. first of all i wanted to know if its possible to add dig to my truck, and if so, about how much it would cost.

Thanks alot!
Rock Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
First of all, merry christmas everyone, but anyways, my names cameron or cam and Im really new to the crawling deal. I use to run nitro stadium trucks about 6 years ago, but I just started getting really interested into the crawling hobby. I dont know a lot about rc cars, so i bought an rtr, because i wouldnt have been able to build it myself. But i bought a losi nightcrawler, and ive already been told that the comp crawler was a little bit better, but i had no idea.

Buuuut the main thing im interested in is upgrading my truck and what not. first of all i wanted to know if its possible to add dig to my truck, and if so, about how much it would cost.

Thanks alot!
The good news is all the ccr upgrades including the losi comp crawler tranny will bolt right up to the night crawler. Check out losi's website and it will give you all the options for your truck. If you keep your eye open in the for sale section you can usually find someone who is selling a losi comp crawler dig tranny for pretty cheap.

Here's a link to the upgrades

http://www.losi.com/Products/Related...ps&SubCategory=

Hope this helps and welcome to your new addiction

Last edited by vrip79; 12-25-2010 at 03:03 AM.
vrip79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrip79 View Post
The good news is all the ccr upgrades including the losi comp crawler tranny will bolt right up to the night crawler. Check out losi's website and it will give you all the options for your truck. If you keep your eye open in the for sale section you can usually find someone who is selling a losi comp crawler dig tranny for pretty cheap.

Here's a link to the upgrades

http://www.losi.com/Products/Related...ps&SubCategory=

Hope this helps and welcome to your new addiction
Thanks very much man! Appreciate it
oh, also, on that list of stuff, what do you think should be the first (most important) hop up to get? I mean, ive got some money to burn before i go to bootcamp in april. sooo fire away

Last edited by Rock Lobster; 12-25-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Rock Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

First and foremost, get a DX3E remote ($99) and a high torqe steering servo, at least 250oz or more, then I would start with the 4" threaded shock set, the rear heb carrier set, the fr spindle set, the fr hub carrier set, steering knuckle bushings and kingpins, and steering linkage assembly and the 12mm aluminum hexes would be a great start, but i would reccomend getting the upper and lower track rods as well. But thats just me

Lower Suspension Pivot Pins, TiNi (2): CCR

$7.99 Lower Track Rod, 7x83mm (2): CCR

$9.99 Upper Track Rod, 70.55mm (2): CCR

$9.99 Front Spindle Set, Aluminum: CCR

$37.99 Hub Carrier Set, Aluminum: CCR

$37.99 Lower Suspension Link Mounts, Aluminum: CCR

$19.99 Bushing Steering Knuckle, TiNi (2): CCR

$8.99 Steering King Pins, TiNi (4): CCR

$7.99 Steering Linkage Assembly: CCR

$17.99 Rear Hub Carrier Set, Aluminum: CCR

$37.99 12mm Aluminum Hex (5.7mm wide) (4): CCR

Last edited by vrip79; 12-25-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'll post up some pics of my rig later today so you can get an idea. I started with the night crawler, My buddy upgraded it with all the comp crawler stuff, then got the Motor On axle kit for it from eritex instead of going with a dig tranny.

Here's a link for that.

http://eritexinc.com/zencart/index.p...products_id=38

Last edited by vrip79; 12-25-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, I get alittle carried away sometimes. Like I said, this hobby turns into an addiction
Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrip79 View Post
a high torqe steering servo, at least 250oz or more
I second that motion. I knew right from the start I wanted to upgrade the servo, but didn't feel like spending the $100+ I've read some people are doing. I went to my local Hobbytown, and they recommended a Hitec 645. It has 133oz/in of torque at 6v (you will need a BEC to get 6v to the servo). I thought it would be a good purchase, but I was wrong. While it was a good deal at $35, I think I am going to get something in the 250-300oz/in range. Getting a good steering servo is the best upgrade you can do to the LNC in my opinion. Everything else is extra frosting.

Other upgrades to consider, get some Proline memory foam inserts for your tires. Buy some tape weights from a tire shop to line your rims (I did 6oz in the fronts and 3oz in the rears). Another cheap upgrade is a better motor. The stock one does a decent job. But you can pick up a Traxxas Titan 21T for $20, it's a cheap, worth while upgrade. I have yet to do the motor upgrade, but I've read great reviews on it, and it's my next purchase.

Merry Christmas all!
Penguin Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Other upgrades to consider, get some Proline memory foam inserts for your tires. Buy some tape weights from a tire shop to line your rims (I did 6oz in the fronts and 3oz in the rears). Another cheap upgrade is a better motor. The stock one does a decent job. But you can pick up a Traxxas Titan 21T for $20, it's a cheap, worth while upgrade. I have yet to do the motor upgrade, but I've read great reviews on it, and it's my next purchase.

Merry Christmas all![/QUOTE]

I did the Titan 21t, It did ok but i would recommend a 35t or 45t Holmes hobby or Team Brood motor, and don't forget the HB Rover white compound tires.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
RCC Addict

needs melted butter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdearolf View Post
good ole river rock, fun place. Almost rolled mine this year
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote