Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Question about a BEC for a Losi Night Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Question about a BEC for a Losi Night Crawler

I stripped the stock servo on my losi night crawler in the first thirty minutes of use. So as I am reading the forums I keep coming across the term BEC. As the last RC car i had was a Tamiya Hornet in the late eighties, I am completely unfamiliar with what they do and what would prompt me to add it to my truck. From the definition below, it appears that I would only need one should I want to push higher voltage to my servo. Is this correct?

Quote:
BEC= Battery Eliminator circuit
Years ago mechanical speed controls were nothing more than a resistor circuit and you had to run a seperate battery for your servos/radio. Newer ESC's use a BEC so that you can power everything from 1 battery. Not to be confused with the CC BEC

CC BEC = Castle creations Battery Eliminator Circuit
The higher demands of rock crawling sometimes require the use of more than the 5v and 3 amps that the average esc's BEC can deliver. The CC BEC is a device that you wire in and replaces the BEC circuit in your ESC. Though complex sounding, it is relativly easy to wire and use.
For someone like me, who is obviously hard on their toys, would the Hitec 5645 be durable enough, or should I just wait a little bit and splurge for something heavier duty?

Thanks from a newbie!
Clayton
du4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #2

Basically that's it. The stock ESC puts out about 4-5v (I've checked it myself). If you are going to spend some money on a good servo (I highly recommend budgeting around $90-100), you will want the most bang for your buck. Most BECs can be programmed with a card or USB/software to put out the volts you want/need. I went cheap and bought a Universal 6V BEC from Novak, since I don't think I will ever be needing to use a different voltage than that. From what I've read and my limited experience, get something in the 200oz-in range, 300 if you can afford it. I bought a hitec 645 (as recommended from my LHS), while it was more power, it wasn't enough. When I get the $$ I will be springing for a hitech 7955.

One thing of note, I followed the advise on different forums of hooking the power out of the BEC directly to the servo. While it worked, I got servo glitches when I applied throttle. I found through more reading that if this is the case, hook the BEC through the receiver, and pull the red wire from the ESC. This fixed my issue, and the stock receiver has no issues with the 6v feed.
Penguin Geek is offline   Reply With Quote