Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: needing advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #1

Talking needing advice

alright fellers i have a simple quick ?.....is it better to run foam inserts in your tires or without? i have an axial ax10 with inserts but have been looking at pics on here and noticed alot of people look like they are not running the foam? is that better or no difference or what? thanks again
carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You must run foams otherwise your tire will be flat and it won't grip much then. Good luck.
THE CRAWLER KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

im sure every one of the pics u looked at the tires have foams in them there are lots of different foams most stock foams are realy soft so it may seem like they dont have any. an then also some people trim them down so the tire will fold around what ur climbing no foam will not work ur tires will ball up an u will be on flats one thing to do is foams then drill holes in ur rims start with like a 1/16th drill bit do a cupal holes on each rim an go from there
The Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #4

i got star cut foams, if you running stockers, star cut the foams and vent the wheels that worked for mine. and check out the tire and wheel section
donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

Try it without foams and see what you think. With certain tires with very hard sidewalls you can benefit from removing your foams, but its rare I think.
bellbrandon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

get some different foams and test them i got memory foams from proline and 1 hole on each wheel the size is 1/8/ of a inch and im getting a lot of grip.
chromoly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem View Post
alright fellers i have a simple quick ?.....is it better to run foam inserts in your tires or without? i have an axial ax10 with inserts but have been looking at pics on here and noticed alot of people look like they are not running the foam? is that better or no difference or what? thanks again
The pics you see they are still running foam, it is just softer and also generally on vented rims.

You need to run foam as its what give the support to the tyre carcass (same as air in your 1:1 car tyre)

I would vent your rims first and then get some different foams to try to find one that suits your driving style.

Good luck
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

First thing: Make sure you have vented your rims.
Second: Depending on the type of foam you will need to do some cutting. For memory foam you don't normally need to do any cutting. With standard form you should cut them like stars or a better explanation would be make them look like a gear. On my foams I made a template out of cardboard so that all four were cut the same. You may also need to trim the edges to get some more side biting. I'll look and see if I have any pics to help you out.
arcticjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Well I found a few pics. Hope they help.

arcticjeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam, inserts, tires, wheels