Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help me pick my first crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Default Help me pick my first crawler

Been lurking a while, first post here, and I'm sure there's lots just like it. I got back into rc recently after almost 20 years away from it. I still have my tamiya blackfoot and astute from back in the day. I have a slash vxl and a traxxas stampede 4x4 and am having a blast with them. My problem is it just won't climb all the cool hills and rocks that surround my property so....it's time for a crawler Please help me decide what to get. I'm looking to keep my budget around $300-400. Was leaning toward an Axial ax10 as it seems to be very capable, has good parts support and isn't too expensive. Good choice?
1. Any other models i should consider?
2. Kit or ARTR or RTC?
3. If i go with a kit, or ARTR (I used to love building the kits) what motor's do you recommend? I have a traxxas tx/rx and servo, lipos, chargers, so I'm thinking I would just need a motor. Any advice or suggestions you have would be great for a crawling newb, thanks.
4. What about used rigs? Looks like there's some nice setups in the classifieds

Last edited by rcmonkey; 01-10-2011 at 03:27 PM.
rcmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

AX10 RTC not the rtr version which runs faster but needs a little help with crawling. For the price and cult following of axial products you can just post a problem here and normally get great feedback. And the alum. upgrade kit with 30degree rear links is a must. Picked mine up at the lhs for 300 bucks spent 40ish on the alum. kit and never looked back. Now looking at all the other upgrades an mods is overwhelming and kind of intemadating me a little but great crawler.

KITS: I dont know to much about kits but if your like me with in a week your RTC will be dismantled into a kit to rebuild and tweek out everything you can
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #3

Yeah I meant the RTC, not the RTR one. And seems like the ARTR and the kit both come with alum. links. Editing first post.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Welcome! I'm also liking in to a Axial!
buzzbe97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

If you are just looking to crawl trails and some rocks, go with an scx10. Great scale rig, tons of after market and VERY durable!

I run an Axial SCX10 with a Tekin FXR ESC and a Tekin 35T motor, works well, enough low end crawlability and wheel speed. I would buy the kit, build it yourself. Should easily be able to get under 400.

Also, you can surf the classifieds. A lot of great scale rigs for sale in your price range!
Chi Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

From what I have heard it is hard to find the kit version now, as they only make them in the ARTR, RTR and RTC anymore. The ARTR is basically the old kit just preassembled, might be your best option since all you would need is the motor (you have everything else) to have it crawling. It also has the aluminum linkage already. Otherwise I would also recomend the RTC, (what I bought) it has everything but batteries, and the new ones have lipo support.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

I thought about a scaler, but I have the stampede and was really looking for something different. There's some pretty serious rocks and stuff very close to me. Can you tell me some of the major differences between a scaler and crawler? Are crawlers really just for serious almost vertical type stuff? Guess I need to do a lot more research.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I wouls search the for sale section here on rcc and find a nice ax10 with all the mods already installed.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I use my crawler "ax10" as a scaler type sometimes. not mud but Ive played on mountain bike trails to another set of rocks. Scalers IMO are just mini trail rigs and not as capable on rocks. Some one correct me on that if Im wrong. But seeing your looking for a crawler Id get a crawler lol.
xjcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

rcc classifieds for a ax 10 or a moa.
k goodrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Default 2.2

If you are looking to do some serious rocks a Losi Comp Crawler might not be a bad choice in your budget. Nothing against Axial's (I have one too) but the Losi is a more capable vehicle with less work. I found I had to put a ton of cash into my ax10 to get it to compete and even after all the work I don't use it very often as it is out gunned.

Good luck with your search. I wouldn't jump in, do some research and make sure you get what you want and that you will be happy with it.
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcritter View Post
I use my crawler "ax10" as a scaler type sometimes. not mud but Ive played on mountain bike trails to another set of rocks. Scalers IMO are just mini trail rigs and not as capable on rocks. Some one correct me on that if Im wrong. But seeing your looking for a crawler Id get a crawler lol.
I agree 100%. I LOVE crawling but was a little disappointed with my scx10 as I was thinking it would be better on the rocks. It was fun on trails and stuff but for me rock crawling is alot more entertaining.
I also agree on going with the Axial RTC. For the price it is, it cant be beat. And with all the aftermarket upgrade out there for it, ya cant go wrong.
Otherwise I would go with the Ax10 kit. Its a fun build and is a good way to get to know how your truck works. It can however get on the spendy side, as any kit can.
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #13

You could go with the Losi Comp Crawler or Losi Night Crawler.
jaybird1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I would say get a losi night crawler or comp crawler if you dont want to have to tinker with or upgrade the Ax10. The Ax10 is a great rig it just needs some mods to help the torque twist and keep up with the Losi. Both are great rigs
GEOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote