Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Should I cut rear tires foams also, or just front?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #1

Default Should I cut rear tires foams also, or just front?

I recently purchased a RedCat RockSlide Super Crawler (1/8th), and last night started playing around with different options for it...

I made some aluminum skid plates for both axles, which turned out great, and have some different turn motors I'm going to try out... Plus a new ESC coming for it soon...

Anyway... Its got MOAB tires, which of course need the tire foam, but I have cut a star pattern out in the front tires, and just wondering if Its best to do front and back, or just front... I can see advantages to both...

Please let me know what you would suggest...
joshuatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

i would personally just do star cut up front,, i did this and worked really well, don't know much about the rear tires, just that when going up a steep incline the weight transfers to rear of vehicle, every one has there own way of fine tuning, trial and error process.
Tom94offroaduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Old guy

Don't cut the back yet. Try it out with just the front cut 1st.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #4

Well I ran it the last two day's with just the front cut... Its an improvement over not having them cut... The fronts fold on a rock much better now, which is the idea... but they still hold shape pretty well when just supporting the trucks weight... So i'm debating cutting the rear also.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Jer
Rock Crawler

if the 1/8th reacts at all like the 1/10th I wouldn't cut them. My rs10 had cut rears and it would flip over if it got too steep. Then again you could always buy better foams if you cut the rear and don't like them.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I like all cut.

Dude, lets see some pics of them skid plates!
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #7

Ok... After spending the last hour trying to get dropshots to work, i created a damn flickr just to post these pics lol...

As for the Skids... i built one for front and rear axle, which are identical... I am posting a couple pictures of the truck where the skid plate is barely visible for the purpose of showing how it does not decrease ground clearance....

When looking at it in pictures, from certain angles, it looks as if it would decrease clearance, but actually it follows the bottom of the diff casing exactly and widens to cover and protect the one F'd up part I would have to say that RedCat did on these axles... The arms that come from the frame to the axle actually mount on a stub that is on the bottom side of the axle, just behind the tube, making it right in everythings path!!! So that is why the skids angle outward at the tubes, to cover that point and prevent any damage to that joint...

Mached up...

[IMG] SKID PLATES FOR CRAWLER by a3a5c4e1eece96172db60cb4789e23a8, on Flickr[/IMG]

In this pictures, you can see if you look closely how that joint is covered by the skid plate...

[IMG] DSC00855 by a3a5c4e1eece96172db60cb4789e23a8, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is a close up, after being abused... You can see, they are tucked under the front bumper, so no area would snag at all.... And you can see, without them, i would have been abusing the plastic axle casing pretty good...

[IMG] DSC00873 by a3a5c4e1eece96172db60cb4789e23a8, on Flickr[/IMG]

And a final pic that shows they don't stand out much at all.........

The little yellow Hummer is a cheapo that has the stock tires that the little yellow rock crawler came with on it... It was just there for my 4yr old... Ironically my 4yr old got very board with it and ended up wheeling my little yellow rock crawler, which was a walmart $30 toy that I have upgraded to some SICK tires, and real ESC/Reciever now... That thing is actually bad ass...

[IMG] DSC00879 by a3a5c4e1eece96172db60cb4789e23a8, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by joshuatest; 01-18-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I see red X's
MikeinFresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinFresno View Post
I see red X's
Fixed it!!! There should be pics now...