Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help with brushless motor choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

Question Help with brushless motor choice

Hey guys, I have an ax10 with a Mamba 25, ccbec, 11.11300mAh lipo. I also have a castlelink. My rig also has a lcg front mount battery plate locked axles and no slipper. I really need help on a motor choice, I dont plan on competing though I want a capable rig with more power than the stock electronics can give me. I like to go to the coast and crawl on the jetty rocks and am really starting to get into this new form of rc. I am not a newb to rc, I raced 1/10th scale gas trucks and boats for quite a while. Do I want a HH Revolver? DO i want a low kv rating? any and all input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
ORLANDOCRAWLER
orlandocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Suck it up!

Brushless non-sensored crawler motors aren't all that fantastic, even with a low kv rating. The start up isn't very smooth, and can at times stall.

I'd go with a good brushed motor. Handwound is best, though if you're going to bomb through mud or sand, I'd stick with a cheaper motor.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #3

Default mamba25 with brushed motor?

can my mamba25 run a brushed motor?
Old 01-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Nope (had to go look at Castles site...).

So I guess your choices are either run brushless (the Revolver is a great choice) or pick up a different esc that will let you run brushed.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Default hey johnrobholmes any help?

I think this is a relevant question. I've been lurking here for quite a while. Any input would be quite appreciated!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

id just say, look for a used Brushed ESC, then buy like a rc4wd brushed motor if your on a budget..

if not, go with the BR-XL, with the holmes hobbies motor. but if your running in mud or water, id say stick with the rc4wd motors. their cheap and they wont be such a b*tch to replace
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCCRAWLER1.9 View Post
id just say, look for a used Brushed ESC, then buy like a rc4wd brushed motor if your on a budget..

if not, go with the BR-XL, with the holmes hobbies motor. but if your running in mud or water, id say stick with the rc4wd motors. their cheap and they wont be such a b*tch to replace

I agree. If your in and around sand, your going to toast your motors pretty quickly. I'd go cheap with the RC4WD closed end bell motors. I have runs a few of them (35t) in water and sandy mud and they have held up very well for the torture I put them through.
BladeMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMech View Post
I agree. If your in and around sand, your going to toast your motors pretty quickly. I'd go cheap with the RC4WD closed end bell motors. I have runs a few of them (35t) in water and sandy mud and they have held up very well for the torture I put them through.
speaking of the rc4wd motors, im actually running them in my comp rig, the XR-10

reason being is because i ran out of money close to my build, and i didnt want to wait, i needed like $30 more to get the holmes hobbies, but i went with the RC4wds, since they were cheap.

And just a quick review on them:
-low end is incredible
-has ample amount of torque
-for $9, they cant be beat
Old 01-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

In my 1.9 Ford Raptor I use a EzRun 35amp esc and a HobbyWing helicopter brushless outrunner motor. It is strong as a CAT diesel and absolutely no cogging. To mount the motor on standard motorplate you will need the 3Racing AX10 brushless adaptor plate.
Pictures/description on Scale 4x4 in 1.9 forum on 11-06-2010

Motor:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5691
KuJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I agree on using a cheap motor if you will be in mud and sandy water. The Mamba and sidewinder micro does handle brushed motors. The mamba 25 should have an update that allows it to handle them as well, but I wouldn't suggest going faster than a 55t brushed motor.

For brushless that works with your ESC, the little hobby city motor linked would work well enough. The Revolver motors I sell will bolt right up without an adapter plate (although I have those available), and will have much more torque than the smaller 22mm die motor. As stated, the sensorless motors won't have great low speed resolution, but once they are spinning they work very well.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

X2!! I smoked a cheap $10 35T RC4wd motor after an entire comp season using it on a Honcho with a 12t pinion stock 87t spur. When I moved it over to my 11 pound scaler after a THOROUGH cleaning and relubing....once I put that old motor on 4S for 2 minutes of mild crawling and then wheelie popping down a sidewalk POOF! New motor time!

Btw I submerged that motor in so much mud and dirt it seized on me before....I also seen smoke come out of that can on at least 2-3 occasions as well. For a cheap motor it sure holds its own.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #12

Thumbs up Thanks guys!

I went to the LHS here in town, Graves RC. Took a look at what they had and got a Scorpion outrunner 940kv I already had an adapter plate. Bolted it in and updated the Mamba25 with the crawler specs. Threw it on the rocks in the back yard and it was a blast. Pretty good low speed resolution and plenty of torque. I love the crawler drag brake setting I was almost vertical on an oak tree in the yard let off the throttle and it did not budge! I think i will get a Revolver to try out too! The Scorpion was 45 bucks I think well spent.Here is a link to the motor http://www.gravesrc.com/SCORPION_S_2...ds-2215-22.htm BTW I got this AX10 off craigslist with a toolbox full of stuff and a HPI Wheely King that needed the esc wire repaired All for 130 bucks! I will buy a star and post some pics this week. Thanks again guys for all the input!
Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
RCC Addict

hey guys, would a 1200kv motor be okay for crawling? i was showing the hobbypartz 1200kv system too a local crawler, but the COG.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #14

Default 1200kv motor

the kv rating is RPM per volt, for example if you are running a 11.1 volt lipo it would be 11.1 x 1200 = 13,320 RPM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandocrawler View Post
the kv rating is RPM per volt, for example if you are running a 11.1 volt lipo it would be 11.1 x 1200 = 13,320 RPM.
????? i know how to calculate RPMs, but would it cog since its sensorless?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
????? i know how to calculate RPMs, but would it cog since its sensorless?
Probably, it really depends on how the motor was built. Some cog worse than others. My EZRun motor cogs less than my VXL and they are both fairly close in the kv range.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Probably, it really depends on how the motor was built. Some cog worse than others. My EZRun motor cogs less than my VXL and they are both fairly close in the kv range.
oh okay. thanks!