Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Planing My First Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Default Planing My First Build

Hey guys, new to this website and this whole crawling part of r/c. I used to have a Hpi rs4 sport, Hpi Savage SS. Right now I have a Hpi Sprint 2 drift car.

I'm really interested in building my first crawler. I've done some reading so I know more or less what I need parts wise but not which to get. I do know that I want to start off with the DMG Alluminiti. I like the way it looks. I don't want to deal with replacing bodies. And I don't want to start with a kit and spend money buying hop-ups. I kinda rather just take my time to build it if i need to wait for parts.

I'm completely lost with gearing and what to look for in a tranny or other options. Deciding on lengths of links and triangulating the angles for the set up. I do like the droop style suspension. I've seen some of the setups on here and the setups with a spring above and below the piston have grabbed my attention. I like the fact that it can all be internal, the truck is lower but with two springs you can adjust the height depending on what your climbing.

Motors it seems like the complete opposite of road cars. Lower turns are better. I'm not sure what exactly to look for in a motor and esc.

I'm still trying to read up on axles and what to get. The pros and cons of each.

If you guys have any links or info that could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What I want to start with

Last edited by Slidewayz; 01-25-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Slidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

well welcome , and i'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I actually smiled when you mentioned rs4, been a while since my rs4 days but i got back into r/c with a align heli and holy crap , totally different world than 4 wheels, found myself not so much in a crawler but she does a lil of everything OK and found myself in the saddle of a scx. again welcome and hope to se some build thread on this thing.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well what r u planning on building a sportsman rig or a 2.2 or 1.9 rig.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Well what r u planning on building a sportsman rig or a 2.2 or 1.9 rig.
Not to sure. I just want something that I can go out and screw around with. I don't know if there are any comps around here. I'm not really sure what all the differences are between the classes. From what I've under stood sportsman is kind of like a budget build, 2.2 use 2.2" tires and 1.9 uses 1.9" tires. So other then that I'm kinda lost.

Went and found the rules. I think I'd want to build a 2.2 rig.

Last edited by Slidewayz; 01-26-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

next, do you want to go MOA (motor over axle) or Shafty?! for goofin around the shafty is a better option...or could look at going scalers.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well... If ur just looking for something to goof around with a scaler is a great option I love mine. But if ur looking for something a little more capible then I say a 2.2 with axial axles and trans. Easy to find parts for farely cheep and reliable.

I don't know anything about 1.9 comp trucks but I would think they are similar to 2.2 trucks just less ground clerance so can't climb such big rocks.

2.2 moa is cool but can get expensive real quick but can climb real good and if u do want to comp it's a real big class.

Like I said I would go for a 2.2 sportsman it's not to expensive lots of parts available and it would be good for something to just play around with.

Adam
Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #7

I'd want to stick to shafts. I could imagine moa would get expensive with 2 motors and I'm guessing youd need 2 esc's. Plus as of right now I don't really plan on using it on comps unless I find something around here.

I was thinking axial axles because my lhs does carry axial parts so I wouldn't always need to be waiting on ordered parts. But they also carry a ton of tamiya stuff. Are there any advantages of each style axle. Are the plastic cases very durable or are replacement aluminum cases worth it?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would also suggest thinking about going scaler route with a axial scx10 honcho kit or similar. gives you crawling abilities but you don't have to have a big pile of rocks to have fun.
I just got back into crawling and had this big axial xr-10 build planned and then realized a scaler would get allot more use and in the end be more fun.

something to think about.
either way have fun and welcome

this is new rtr with 2.4ghz and a castle built esc with drag brake. not a bad deal at all
http://www.rpphobby.com/axial_scx10_p/ax90016.htm

Last edited by discgolferlee; 01-27-2011 at 10:24 PM.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

What can I do with a scaler that I can't do with a 2.2? I'm still trying to figure out what the differences are between them.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Scaler refers to the appearance of the rig - they are built to look like something you might see in real life out on the trail/rocks/etc.

2.2 refers to wheel size. You can build a 2.2 scaler, but 1.9 seems to be the most popular.

If you're asking what's the difference between a 2.2 comp rig and a scaler... the comp rig will generally perform better, but won't necessarily look as much like a real 1:1 vehicle.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #11

So really they can all do the same thing. The 2.2 would be the biggest of the 3 then the 1.9 and the scaler would the the same as a 1.9 but with the appearance of a real vehicle. But the comp style build would perform better. This is what I've understood so far so I could be wrong.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I think you got it close enough
Old 02-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
I just got back into crawling and had this big axial xr-10 build planned and then realized a scaler would get allot more use and in the end be more fun.

I'm just trying to understand why would get more use out of a scaler if really they all do the same thing.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The 2.2 and 1.9 comp rigs are for crawling and aren't much fun to rip around the yard and through mud and whatever. The scalers do all that. They aren't amazing on the rocks but u can do work to them and they wil preform really well. But a scaler if u are just planning on running around the yard and bashing it is ur best bet I think. But if u just want to run it on the rocks. Then a coml cralwer is a good choice also
Old 02-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

adamargue hit the nail on the head. Scalers are generally more fun to drive on more types of terrain (especially if you waterproof them and gear for wheelspeed). A comp crawler really shines on the rocks, but is kind of boring on normal off-road terrain.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #16
Croakin' across the pond!

I'll give you the benefit of my experience for what it's worth. I started with an AX10 RTC - present from my wife so wasn't complaining - until I started to run it. In the garden they're great- i stops at the fence though! Sticking with the AX10 I immediately bought a RTR motorised chassis from ebay (v cheap) - so it got all the ally bits and soft springs, quickly. The next step comes at you even quicker and includes better drive shafts (the kit ones break within the first few packs, a dig - essential for tuning circle if nothing else, a 3 channel, 3 position transmitter (DX3e) to run the dig, lipos down low, 4 link conversion. This is over a few weeks not months! - Then, where I'm at now, is a chassis - as the cog has to come down - a necessity. By now you end up with enough bits for at least a scaler build - and this ones almost free!
It's a lot easier to take an AX10 to a scaler than a scaler to an AX10! So, to cut corners, buy the chassis you want (DMG, GC3A, Frogger), the Axial axles, electrics of your choice, a Vanquish dig (I went DNA), Losi shocks and get the links made up to suit - you won't go wrong - great in the garden - even better in a comp! - and you can spend endless hours just playing with set-up! My background's like you - raced 1/8 Rallycross years ago, still got the old Inferno - and raced a turbo burns before that, RC10's (who hasn't still got a gold pan somewhere) - and helis - barons and space barons before align came along. Helis and crawlers go together - believe me.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #17

I understand what you guys are saying about scalers vs 2.2 for fun factor on trail and crawling. But what I'm trying to figure out is what is so different between them that makes the scaler more fun on trails then a crawler and what makes a crawler better on rocks then a scaler.