Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scaler newb seeks electronics advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #1

Default Scaler newb seeks electronics advice

Hi folks,

I am new to the scene. I'm a 20 year RC vet...past 10 have been nitro 1/8 buggy and truggy. Recently I picked up a brand new RC4WD Subzero for a very low price. I do not intend on doing any major rock crawling, mainly trail riding around/over some obstacles on my property.

So...obviously I need to purchase an ESC, motor, servo, and battery.

1. Servo - for the size/weight of the subzero, would it be recommended to use an ultra torque digital servo? 6v with 200+ oz of torque or is that overkill even for my application?

2. ESC/Motor - I've read quite a bit back and forth regarding brushed vs brushless. Being a nitro guy, I don't want to work on brushed motors so I'm leaning heavily towards the Novak Goat 3S 18.5 system. Knowing the Subzero weighs more than my 1/8 truggy...is the Goat 3S/18.5 setup going to provide low maintenance, easy setup, and still perform well? If it was you in my shoes...what would you install into the Subzero?

3. Battery - obviously if I go the Goat 3S route, I'd look to either a 3S lipo pack. Don't laugh...but my experience with LiPo is limited to one pack which I use for my receiver, radio, and my SC18. It's a 2S 2300 8C pack, I have 5 of them. I'm considering the Protek 3S/11.1v/2100/25C pack for $37.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to contributing to this site as I gain experience in this new class.

Regards,
Scott
scraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

First, welcome to RCC!!!!

I would say a 200 oz in servo isn't overkill at all.
Also brushed motors don't really require the maintenance you might think, I never do anything to mine, and I run my scalers through mud,water, sand, etc. It's a good idea to clean them once and a while, but thats about all I do with mine ever.

I would take a look at the Holmes Hobbies site for power, He's a vendor here, and has some awesome products, is very knowledgeable with electronics, and is a stand up guy and vendor.

I myself would run a HH BR-XL ESC which can handle up to a 6s lipo, and unlimited on the motor turn, it also has a huge BEC rating build in.
I'd pair that with the HH 35t or 45t hand wound 540, and you'll have plenty of power with very decent wheel speed.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #3

Thanks freetimecrawler...I appreciate the welcome. This site is one amazing community with a ton of awesome information.

I will look into Holmes. I do have a pair of new Hitec 7950 7.4v servos which are spares for my 1/8 truggy which is on the Airtronics M11x platform. I may opt to use the M11x if I can push 7.4v out of the BEC to my servo and receiver.
scraps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brushless, goat, rc4wd, scaler