Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Totally Newbie, buying first RC, What do I need

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

Default Totally Newbie, buying first RC, What do I need

I am looking at this unit. . .Pros and COns. Also, what else do I need to get it going. There is so much to this hobby, but it looks like a blast. !!

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax90012.htm

Axial TR Dingo
---------------------
Winterwolf227
Portland, OR
Winterwolf227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

first thing you need is patience and LOTS of $$$. j/k or am i

I would recomend this kit instead. it's 30 bucks more but the electronics are decent in it whereas the electronics in the dingo kit are crap.
the new honcho kit comes with 2.4ghz radio and a castle creations made esc with drag brake and lipo cutoff.
http://www.rpphobby.com/axial_scx10_p/ax90016.htm
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
the new honcho kit comes with a castle creations made esc with drag brake and lipo cutoff.
http://www.rpphobby.com/axial_scx10_p/ax90016.htm

Thank You for your help, i REALLY APPRECIATE IT. bUT what is the:

"castle creations made esc with drag brake and lipo cutoff."
Old 01-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterwolf227 View Post
Thank You for your help, i REALLY APPRECIATE IT. bUT what is the:

"castle creations made esc with drag brake and lipo cutoff."
castle creations makes some of the best electronics out there. most Speed controls(esc) that come with rtr (ready to run) kits are worthless. drag brake is when the esc applies brakes when you let off throttle to keep you from free wheelin down a hill fast. lipo cutoff shuts the truck down when lipo battery reaches it's low voltage. thus preventing your battery from being damaged from running it past it's safe voltage.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #5

Thank You Disk....Lee,

The Honcho it is. Now, I guess I need Battery and Charger. Any suggestions there. How much time crawling can i expect out of a Battery?

Am I missing anything else? I really dont want to miss anything, so when I get it, I can roll !!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Trust me, you will eventually end up replacing those so called "good electronics" with some really good stuff. But hey, the RTR will get you started. For a battery, find out if the stock esc on that honcho can handle a LiPo battery. If it can, I recommend these batteries:
2S
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-13...X--dsh-/Detail
or 3S
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-13...X--dsh-/Detail

I use the 2S battery and it works great and is very reliable. you can expect to get around 1 1/2 to 2 hours or constant crawling out of these batteries.

This is the charger I recommend nomatter what kind of battery you get:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

I have this charger and love it. It is very reliable and accurate.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if you are new to lipo batteries, i would not recommend a top shelf battery.but to answer your question on how long to expect to run on a battery is like this basically. when you are looking @ a battery the "Mah" (then a number) represents it's capicity. so the higher the Mah# the longer run times. But until you are familiar with chargers and lipo batteries, i would not recommend shelling $$ out for a high "C" rated battery or even a hard cased battery for that matter either. Get use to everything and as you grow in the hobby in knowledge then you'll be better armed when you go out to buy.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

I would go this route for sure http://www.rpphobby.com/axial_scx10_p/ax90016.htm

by far the way to go since you are just starting then get you a 2s lipo and a decent charger
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

if yur not lookin to spend a whole lot on the acc. and stuff i would buy a couple less expensive nimh batts and a charger that can do lipo or nimh, and the nimh batteries are a little less tempermental if yur new to the hobby
autolawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08sv View Post
if you are new to lipo batteries, i would not recommend a top shelf battery. But until you are familiar with chargers and lipo batteries, i would not recommend shelling $$ out for a high "C" rated battery or even a hard cased battery for that matter either. Get use to everything and as you grow in the hobby in knowledge then you'll be better armed when you go out to buy.
So you recommend that he waste his money on the cheap, bad stuff so he can then later spend more money on finally getting the stuff we are recommending???
As long as he searches in the electronics section for battery charging info and guides (there are hundreds of threads) and uses the info from them, he should be fine and shouldn't mess up any batteries or chargers. It really isn't that hard and once he programs his charger for the battery he buys he won't have to even think about it any more.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

another option would be to order the honch and go down to his local hobby shop and buy the charger and have someone at the hobby shop show him how to use it. The mah you can look at it like the gas tank and the 2c or 3 or a bigger cell you can look at it like the horsepower it puts out.
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
So you recommend that he waste his money on the cheap, bad stuff so he can then later spend more money on finally getting the stuff we are recommending???
NO, but until one really knows what they want or where they want to go i figured why spend ie:$100+ on a nice 2s , only for him to find out later he swaps out motors and electronics and wants/need to run 4s( like we haven't all done that before????). by no means was i sayin or implying any recommendations were wrong or misleading. but as for this person coming in new, i'll stick to my post and think it was in line. all i'm saying is anyone can get up and running for 20-30 bucks, if they decide to go a different direction once in the hobby they aren't out a lot of coin on some potential items they may not use again for a long time.agreed?

Last edited by 08sv; 02-03-2011 at 06:29 PM.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote