Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: weak link

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default weak link

okay so I am trying to pick a crawler. What are the weak links to each of these crawlers, I have searched this site and others to try to find what will need to be replaced and repaired the most. I have narrowed it down to three the ax10 RTC, Venom Creeper, and Maxstone 10.

I think I am shying away form maxstone, seems like a good deal after many modes and repairs it would comst me more!

thanks for the advise just trying to make a wise choise, LHS seem to like nitro and short course not much crawler advise.
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

AX10 - Axles, you'll want to upgrade.

The other two, their weak links are aftermarket support...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

In my experience, the axial axles are fairly stout, even stock. I didn't start breaking parts til I upgraded to a 300+oz servo and bta steering.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Axial goes driveshaft, then tranny, then wheel hexes or the axle parts start busting. Still better than your other choices. You should also look at the Losi Nightcrawler, tons stronger and crawls way better. First part to break is the wheel hexes will strip, cheap easy fix, next week spot is tranny gears. The tranny gears are pretty though and only cost three bucks though, after over a year of running a 55t and then a 18.5 on 6s lipo a set of hexes and two sets of tranny gears is all I've had to touch on one of the LNC's I maintain. The other one has been on a 45t with 3s the entire time and broke nothing. Both comp every other week, an Axial wouldn't have anything left stock but the axle housing at this point.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

ax10, nothing exceed been there done that $$$, but what ever you get will have its weak spots. keep lurking the treads and read up on your choices to know what your up against , at least you,ll have a general idea.

Last edited by crawlhog; 01-31-2011 at 09:18 AM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

are you looking at something to eventually comp with or just bash around ?
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickGood View Post
LHS seem to like nitro and short course not much crawler advise.
same here down in orlando. sux, but still likin the scale/semi crawler scx. Yeah, i called the scx a semi crawler since it's not really a full on rig. but really fun, kinda like the it does trail and crawl pretty good and ends up being very diverse.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm being told that the scx10 is a great for the durability. but expensive. which is what i'm aiming for.

if your going for a cheap starter rtr, i would start with the rs10 its cheap, i like it, it looks great out of box, but first part that goes i've heard on the first run is the servo arm is plastic and breaks.

don't get me wrong though, i'm just a noob
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i wasn't suggesting the scx just was talkin out loud, BUT i feel ya on the LHS's having a lot of nitro and Short course stuff.... for me here it's more traxxas and short course stuff available. best of luck .
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

If you wanna go scale, or even semi-scale, the SCX is the way to go.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

thanks for the adives, I have been searching treads to get the most info I can.

I like the scale idea. I really like the scx but that is a lot of money to drop to get started.
I did the 1:1 crawling before kids. I know i will have weak links jsut trying to find what they are and how to keep the weak links the cheap parts.
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Axial goes driveshaft, then tranny, then wheel hexes or the axle parts start busting. Still better than your other choices. You should also look at the Losi Nightcrawler, tons stronger and crawls way better. First part to break is the wheel hexes will strip, cheap easy fix, next week spot is tranny gears. The tranny gears are pretty though and only cost three bucks though, after over a year of running a 55t and then a 18.5 on 6s lipo a set of hexes and two sets of tranny gears is all I've had to touch on one of the LNC's I maintain. The other one has been on a 45t with 3s the entire time and broke nothing. Both comp every other week, an Axial wouldn't have anything left stock but the axle housing at this point.
i wouldnt say the tranny is weak, out of the 3 i've had/ have ive never had a problem. ive spit drive shafts, broken kunckles, C-hubs, and cvd pins and thats the only problem ive had, and ive ran from a 27t-55t motor on 9.6v and not hurt the tranny one bit.

but definitly look at the Losi comp crawler if you want a durable plug in ur battery and go crawler. the only thing i have ever broke on mine is the first gen. cv shafts, and stripped the spur gear in the tranny (my fault beacuse on improper grear mesh)
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
RCC Addict

The soft aluminium tranny outputs are the problem, thats why the driveshafts spit, once you get them to hold the output snaps right off. The tranny gears are decently strong, they will give out at some point with 3s though.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote