Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Budget Crawler Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Budget Crawler Build

I've been flying planes for a while but would like something play around with when the weather isn't cooperating. Crawling has caught my eye and I'd like to buy a rig. However my budget is a little tight so I would like to stay as close to $200 as possible. Given this limit I've been looking at the AX-10 or the Venom Creeper kit. I already have a radio to get started on but nothing else. Would it be worth it be more cost effective to go with the Venom and add the electronics or just go with AX-10? Thanks for any opinions and help.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Ok my first question, what kind of rock? how big is the rock? A pic of what you are running on would be very helpfull. do you like a scale looking truck that looks like a real truck? Or do you want a comp crawler? If there is not alot of rocks in your area or the rocks around are only gonna make a small coarse then I suggest getting the Losi MRC, or scx10. You have many many choices so look before you leap.
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

In terms of rock, I don't really have a specific course or place in mind but there is old quarry a couple minutes from my house and many rivers. So I guess river beds would be where I would most likely run.

As for the question of scale, I'm not very concerned with keeping a scale look I've been drawn more towards the 1/10 comp crawlers. That's why I was looking into the AX-10 and Creeper.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah man go for an ax10, I just wouldnt get the creeper because there is not as much available hop ups as the ax10, ( I kinda like the safari creeper)IMO a scaler would look way sicker coming out of a river bead. But im getting the XR10 cause I just want what looks to me like one of the best crawlers
Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I'm in the same boat. The axial products have more product support and availability. I like the look of scale trucks, so I'm saving up the extra to get the TR Honcho RTR. I have not heard it said in this tread yet, but shy away from the RTR ax10 AX90002, Plastic links.
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeah my GF fell in love with the honcho scx10. So thats gonna be her first scaler/crawler.And now Im the happiest man alive.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickGood View Post
I'm in the same boat. The axial products have more product support and availability. I like the look of scale trucks, so I'm saving up the extra to get the TR Honcho RTR. I have not heard it said in this tread yet, but shy away from the RTR ax10 AX90002, Plastic links.
Yeah I've read that the AX10 "RTR" package isn't very good but the "RTC" package is much better. This is what i'm looking at getting:

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax90011-...es-p-1929.html

This comes already assembled though right? I was kinda looking forward to building the kit but oh well.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Losi Night Crawler is the best bang for the buck in my opinion.I have been running mine for 8 months now and no problems.
jaybird1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that the Losi stuff is pretty good and many people are happy with it. The only thing I don't like about the Losi is worm gear drive. I think I would rather stick with a regular diff and an ESC with a drag brake.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well I've been doing more reading and was wondering if I would be better off in the long run getting a set of Bully axles and build a custom frame and links. I don't know if this would be cheaper than getting a complete kit but it seems like it would be cheaper in the long run. I'm pretty good with fabricating parts and expect to build and modify quite a bit in order to get everything up to spec.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Well I've been doing more reading and was wondering if I would be better off in the long run getting a set of Bully axles and build a custom frame and links. I don't know if this would be cheaper than getting a complete kit but it seems like it would be cheaper in the long run. I'm pretty good with fabricating parts and expect to build and modify quite a bit in order to get everything up to spec.
If you plan on going this route you can throw out that $200 mark. Axles, Chassis, Dual motors, ESC(s), Punk dig. The front/rear axles combo is 120 alone. Just saying.
profsrkos2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Yeah I've read that the AX10 "RTR" package isn't very good but the "RTC" package is much better. This is what i'm looking at getting:

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax90011-...es-p-1929.html

This comes already assembled though right? I was kinda looking forward to building the kit but oh well.

if your looking for a kit i would look at the xr10
it has great after market parts for it too

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax90017.htm

and jpcustomrcs.com has the hellstrom for the xr10 that are really good chassis for the moa

http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/XR10.html

hopes this help

-Austin
fallin apart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrkos2012 View Post
If you plan on going this route you can throw out that $200 mark. Axles, Chassis, Dual motors, ESC(s), Punk dig. The front/rear axles combo is 120 alone. Just saying.

Yeah my $200 mark seems ridiculously low in this game now that I have done some reading. I'm still really gravitating toward the Venom Creeper kit route. Does anyone know if the AX10 kits are shipping with the AE-2 ESC? From what I've read it seems capable for a entry level ESC and shares some of it's features with the sidewinder. I better start slow before my imagination blows my entire budget.

Last edited by forbid89; 02-04-2011 at 06:24 PM.