Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Unbalanced Steering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #1

Default Unbalanced Steering?

Noticed this yesterday with my Exceed Maxstone 16. When steering, it seems that one tire will turn "more" than the other, leaving them at two different angles. Also, it seems that they will turn more in one direction than in the other. As in, I can steer "tighter" in a left turn than a right. I've looked over the whole thing and nothing is broken or seems out of place. I've dabbled with the steering damping and such, but nothing seems to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas or starting points?

Thanks!
BTilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
RCC Addict

take the servo horn off and make sure your servo is centered then reinstall
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

How bout to check end points?
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

When at full left or right and having one tire turned further than the other is called the Ackermann effect. There are quite a few companies that produce knuckles for the AX10, XR10, BERG, etc. that put the steering at a 0 Ackermann angle. Some people think this helps, some think it helps to have the outside tire turn the furthest so that it digs into the turn and the inside tire is allowed to "skip" along without causing much resistance. I have liked my 0 Ackermann setups and that is what I currently run on my XR10.

Most full size vehicles will have some Ackerman built in so that they are easier to turn and will actually turn tighter. Google this and you'll find all kinds of information about it.

As far as being able to turn further left or right that has to do with your servo horn being installed properly...with everything centered up...OR you can also adjust it through your EPA's on your radio OR you can adjust it with the length of your drag link going between the servo horn and the tie rod or knuckle.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote