Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Questions Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Questions Questions

OK, so I would like to get a crawler but have some observations and questions. I understand rtr, kit, artr. but here is my dilemma.

I have a 3ch radio so don't need that. So seems a rtr would be wasting money. Everyone seems to say get ax10, good place to start. Lot of upgrades and so on. Then in the same breath there saying pretty much change everything to make it a comp crawler. Again, doesn't seem realistic to purchase a rtr if your going to swap electronics and so on right off the bat.

So now were onto kits. Again, was thinking of a Venom, 99 bucks, then I can put the ESC/motor and servo and it seems to me I would be better this route then getting a ax10 rtc. Price would be about the same and the Venom would have the electronics right off the bat. Sounds reasonable so far.

Then I start thinking of it this way. I can get a ax10 rtc for 240, would then have to replace parts. Venom, get kit, better electronics because I can put in what I want from the start, but still need to upgrade parts. So now I'm thinking this.

I can get the Losi Comp Crawler for 180, now from all the post I've been reading,,,,and let me tell you,,,,it's been a LOT. The consensus seems to be this is the top dog, out of the box. Add another 125 for electronics, price of servo/servos if your going to run the dig, and there you go. This would seem to be the most bang for the buck to get into the sport, or for that matter, what ever you would want to do with a crawler.

Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I'm just reading to much!! I understand what ever you get will be a work in progress, I get that, I except that, and I actually enjoy that fact!!!! My thought process is what can I get right off the bat, that would be the best bang for the buck. I know this crawler has worm gears and requires a brushless system or seems to like a brushless over brushed. I also know that with the worm gears, you don't need a drag break, again, I would think you could save some bucks now on the ESC, yes?

I know when it comes down to it, you get what you pay for,,,just a fact of life. So why not get the most out of your money when you start, then go up from there!!

Please,,,,let me know what you think, and why!!! I kinda need to know why!! Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you can't tell, I seem to have a hard on to get this going!!!! Just can't wait, but pulling the trigger is the hardest part, once the bullit is out of the gun, the sky is the limit.

Thanks again!!

Mike
mgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

The Losi CC is a great rig outta the box. Not much needed other than electronics to get you going.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply constantmotion, can you tell me what people are running in the LCC? I read a lot about over heating and the need for a brushless system.

Thanks again
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #4

My buddy tried a brushed system on hi LCC and it did not work out very well.But the LCC is an awesome truck.I have a night crawler too and that thing does really good.
jaybird1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Are you planing to compete or just crawl with friends?
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hey All, thanks for the replies. No comp as I'm in Iowa, and don't really know if they have them in my area. I will be looking though. I'm just really looking to get a crawler and am getting more and more confused, the more I read. Just when I think I'm going one way, I start thinking another. I liked the Venom idea, 99 bucks to get started, figured with that and the motor/esc I want, would be better then the ax10 rtc, which I came so close to buying.

I'm hearing good and bad about them all, and just trying to figure out what platform to get started on.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

All three would be good starter trucks then. The main advantage to the venom would be you could spend more on electronics. Having a decent electronics setup makes a huge difference on the rc fun o' meter. I don't own a venom so I could be wrong but at $99 I have to wonder how strong this truck is compared to an axial or losi. I've had the axial kit for several years and it's still on the original trany and axles. That includes a couple years of comps so I definitely feel like I got my moneys worth from it. Losi has some good stuff too. My micro has fallen off the table or been dragged off by the 1yr old several times without any damage. That little thing is almost more fun then the big ones.

As far as all the upgrades go unless your gonna comp I wouldn't worry about it. If something breaks replace it with a better part if possible. If later on you feel like you need to upgrade something you can. Plus there's a ton of info on rcc about setting up trucks including cheap or free tricks that can make a huge difference on a stock crawler.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgauger View Post
Hey All, thanks for the replies. No comp as I'm in Iowa, and don't really know if they have them in my area. I will be looking though. I'm just really looking to get a crawler and am getting more and more confused, the more I read. Just when I think I'm going one way, I start thinking another. I liked the Venom idea, 99 bucks to get started, figured with that and the motor/esc I want, would be better then the ax10 rtc, which I came so close to buying.

I'm hearing good and bad about them all, and just trying to figure out what platform to get started on.

Thanks

There is a comp scene in Ia, have you checked here?
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/iowa/
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i have a scx10 honcho rtr but a friend of mine got himself the ax10 scorpion RTC and loves it..

dont understand why your saying you HAVE to upgrade parts on the ax10????? friend got his like 2-3 weeks and hasnt really done anything to it besides moved his links inside the chassis (which in turn made it flex a helluva lot more, he's getting like 70-75 degrees of articulation), he also put his receiver from his nitro savage into his ax10 because the antenna sticking out looked gay.
thats pretty much it and he's having a blast..

i had a chance to fart around with his ax10 in the house and its major fun!! he was also looking at the losi crawler too but got the axial instead. if you get an RTR you can always sell the extra radio... hell i got 2 RC's (nitro savage and the honcho) and i got 3 radio's, dont really bother me too much... i use the stock radio for the honcho and a DX3 spectrum for the nitro savage so that leaves me with 1 radio laying around, might try to sell it eventually but we'll see..

so my vote goes to the AX10, which also comes in a kit too so you can pick and choose your electronics and use the radio you have.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I say buy a Bully and be done with it. Unless you're missing 3 fingers and a thumb you will love it. Easy to drive and pretty much comp ready. You do need two motors and either two escs or a dual motor esc. You can get rtr but you might prefer choosing your own electronics. If moa is out of the picture then go axial and get ready for the addiction. You may want to call crawler rehab ahead of time. Goodluck and welcome to our world.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hey All, thanks for the replies!! SINester, you have a point about the Venom, not sure about it either, and the AX-10 sure seems to be the starting point for a lot of people.

freetimecrawler, thanks for the link, I will have to check it out!!

AX10wannabe, I'm only saying that almost everyone says you have to upgrade to make it close to a comp rig or what the Losi is out of the box. Having extra parts isn't that big of a deal as you state, would be a good spare or backup, so I got to agree with you there!! I'm sure what ever I get will be loads of fun!!

Thanks again everyone for the replies I really appreciate everyone's opinions!!

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Where can you get a Bully rtr? Just curious!!

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
RCC Addict

RC4WD-RPP-i think TCS & a couple more im sure i missed.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Mk42

I'm going to have to say that the MK42 MOA RTR by RC4WD is by FAR the best deal you're going to find out there. $300
  • CNC machined chassis with DMG upper tube chassis
  • Bully 2.2 alloy/machined axle (Motor On Axle)
  • XR2 2-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio
  • Outcry brushed ESC with BEC
  • 35T Brushed crawler Motor
  • Mayhem high torque servo
  • Gear Ratio: 38.41:1
  • Rock & Die 2.2 tires (5.5"/140mm)
  • Dual spring aluminum shocks
  • Plastic beadlock wheels
  • Meets all USRCCA required specs
  • Full metal links with bent lower units
  • Plastic rod ends and body post
  • Full ball bearings
  • Length: 17.5", Width: 10", Height: 6", Wheelbase: 12.5", Ground clearance: 2.5"
rooktakesqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
RCC Addict

bully axles, take a lickin and keep on tickin. why not just build one then you put in what you want, make it how you want,no upgrades to mess with and save some money, wasn,t that your main idea, best bang for your buck! from your post it seems like your mechanical and you stated you actually like doing stuff like that, just a thought.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote