Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Question About Searching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Question About Searching

OK so I read the how to use the search sticky but i'm having a problem trying to search. Let's say I'm trying to use the advanced search and want to search for threads w/ "GC3 Install" in the title only. When I try that I get results with GC3 in the tiltle OR Install in the title. In other words is treating my search as GC3 OR Install but not GC3 AND Install. I've tried this entering the following into the search string:

"Servo Install"
Servo AND Install
Servo, Install

After reading the search how to I was under the impression I needed to make the search "Servo Install" w/ the quotes and that should ONLY result in threads w/ the words Servo Install in the title but not happening???
netsurfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
OK so I read the how to use the search sticky but i'm having a problem trying to search. Let's say I'm trying to use the advanced search and want to search for threads w/ "GC3 Install" in the title only. When I try that I get results with GC3 in the tiltle OR Install in the title. In other words is treating my search as GC3 OR Install but not GC3 AND Install. I've tried this entering the following into the search string:

"Servo Install"
Servo AND Install
Servo, Install

After reading the search how to I was under the impression I needed to make the search "Servo Install" w/ the quotes and that should ONLY result in threads w/ the words Servo Install in the title but not happening???
I've tried searching for several things (titanium links for example) and the results are usually not anything close to what I'm looking for, the search function on this site just isn't very good.
Airmaxx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The tips on that post do help a lot but honestly after years of searches on this site I still have never gotten what I was looking for the first time or second time for that matter. If you can't find it after the first page then change your search phrase a little and try again. Also the titles are often misleading and have nothing to do with the content of the post so try "Search Entire Posts" and see if that helps. You may also have to sort through a bunch of chit chat to find what your looking for but it is most likely on here somewhere. If all else fails start a post and ask. It may attract search flamers but you can just ignore them and someone will help you or get you pointed in the right direction.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm noticing the search function does not work the way it says it should in the Sticky. I'm not new to RC (fly planes & helis) but this is my first venture into RC trucks (crawlers) and I've noticed the members here & posts seem to be geared towards more advanced, tech users and I've seen how some people get flamed for posting questions.

Guess I'll have to do the best w/ search function and hope some people are ok with providing more basic setup/build info to a newbie even if it's somewhere on this site.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Another thing to try would be to use google to search the site. Just use the following search template in google:

site:rccrawler.com "search terms"

Sometimes I get better luck using this method.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yup some people need to learn to hit the back button when they see a post they don't like.

I probably can't get your rig ready for a nationals win but I got you covered on the basics. Ask or send a pm I'll try my best to help
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

Quote:

Guess I'll have to do the best w/ search function and hope some people are ok with providing more basic setup/build info to a newbie even if it's somewhere on this site.
Put your posts in the Newbie Forum and I will personally guarantee there's no flaming or anything of the sort. And if there is, hit the report post button. It's on the left under the user's avatar.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Wow. Never even know about this trick. Will have to play around w/ it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Another thing to try would be to use google to search the site. Just use the following search template in google:

site:rccrawler.com "search terms"

Sometimes I get better luck using this method.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Unhappy

I know what you mean. When I started w/ rc helis, planes/jets I got a lot of help from people on forums w/ a lot of experience who did not mind at all when new people would ask questions. That was great for me because I don't have any other RC friends so it was all trial & error & reading/watching stuff on youtube while getting help from people on forums so now I try to answer questions from newer people if I can help and don't mind it at all so it always trips me out when I see people just go off on people asking questions. I always think to myself that if they were so busy to deal with the question they should have just ignored the post or like you say hit the back button instead of trying to make the guy feel like an idiot for asking simply because the topic/question has been asked before.

Thanks for the offer to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINister View Post
Yup some people need to learn to hit the back button when they see a post they don't like.

I probably can't get your rig ready for a nationals win but I got you covered on the basics. Ask or send a pm I'll try my best to help
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

That's a good idea (posting in the newbie section). I do follow good etiquette w/ forums & spend my time trying a few searches before posting something and I can handle getting flamed for questions but I do appreciate the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Put your posts in the Newbie Forum and I will personally guarantee there's no flaming or anything of the sort. And if there is, hit the report post button. It's on the left under the user's avatar.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I will search for about 10 minutes, if I don't find what I am looking for I'll throw up a post. You have to think about all the ways you can rephrase what you are looking for. Searching by title, I have found, is the least likely way of finding what you are looking for. One way to speed up your searches is to buy a star...

This forum is so extensive that you have to dig for what you want. What brings on flamage is asking a common question that has been asked and answered a dozen times in the last week. And really, the flamage here isn't all that bad, the mods do a really good job keeping people civil.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

"Servo Install"
Servo AND Install
Servo, Install

Sometimes you can try doing a search like, servo +install.
This "usually" tells the search function that you want "servo" as well as "install".

If you get a lot of returns on threads with terms you DON'T want, kill them off with a "-", like this......servo +install -"new bright".
This "should" bring up all threads with "servo" & "install" but not "new Bright" (nothing against new bright, just couldn't think of anything else)

Hopr this helps. Also keep in mind, if the word you want to search for is misspelled (either in the thread or your search word) you will miss threads.

Next week, we can cover "wildcards" in searches......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote