Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Which way to go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Which way to go?

OK, so I am fairly new to the whole crawling scene and been trying to read alot about which way to go with a vehicle. AX10, MOA, cheap, exspensive.....
I just want to get something I can play with now, and use in comp later as
I upgrade it (and do well in comp) for around 300.00.

Any ideas?
DawgBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I would say to either go with an ax-10 or a Losi night crawler. The xr 10 seems like it would be a little out of budget since it's a kit that does not come with any electronics. Not to mention you would have to buy 2 motors instead of one like the ax-10 and nightcrawler. Obviously the xr-10 is going to be a lot more of a comp rig, but if u are just starting out and just want to have fun, the ax-10 and nightcrawler would be plenty fun. My buddy has a losi nc which seems to do great with only tires and a different servo from stock. I don't know how anyone else feels about the nightcrawler but I think it is pretty solid out of the box. It just needs a few goodies and it does really well. The axle design on the losi nc is pretty cool too with worm drive gears in the axle instead of a ring and pinion set up like on my ax-10. The worm drive design acts as a brake when no power is supplied and has a lot less torque twist. My vote would go towards a night crawler, hope this helps, I'm sure more people will chine in soon with more info.
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the rtc axial is pretty capable out of the box. Tons of upgrades available too
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

X2, start lower, work higher.
Most people get addicted to crawling, but some buy nice stuff to start, then find out they like faster stuff better.

AX10 is a great place to start. LOTS of parts and advise available!

Some help:
'kev_gti5' has a used ARTR with upgrades for $280
'creepr69' has a nice RTR minus radio? for $225
'EEM-CrawlinMachine' has one that is ALL upgrades for $450 RTR w/2.4 radio.

'muddertrucker' has a Creeper with upgrades for $200

Last edited by sweli; 02-18-2011 at 02:03 PM.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Yashua

another option is a $99.00 Creeper from CKRC, a Rooster combo , DX3e & a servo and ya got a crawler ready to go
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

AX10 is your bet
Losi is a good choice as well. But you have to understand that worm gear a specific part and you have to take care of it. Brushed motors are not suitable too much for losi.
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzz View Post
AX10 is your bet
Losi is a good choice as well. But you have to understand that worm gear a specific part and you have to take care of it. Brushed motors are not suitable too much for losi.
I guess I didn't think about maintinance with the worm gears and that they dont have quite as much "pop" compared to an ax-10 with the same motor. They do start to squeak after a while and in the two years of having my ax-10, I only greased my axles once with no noticable wear. I do like my ax-10, I just dont like to think about all the money I have wrapped up in it. I am very happy with my truck, and with a few upgrades they are very capable. The aftermarket for the ax-10 is also a lot bigger since the nightcrawler has not been out as long. Either way you chose, it sure is a fun hobby.

Last edited by Chevdog; 02-18-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Chevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default All sold out!! Everywhere!!

Well, this blows.... I'm glad I at least have my SCX10. I want to get a rock crawler and have been following all leads and suggestions and simply can't believe that almost all rock crawlers in the 300.00 range are sold out. I've checked so many websites... even places like hobbytown USA, CKRC, etc, etc.... Its almost like it's not meant to be. Anyone have advice on building a decent crawler from scratch for under 320.00 that I can use paypal for?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

OK, looks like they have a creeper package in stock. Any opinions of spending 253.00 on a Venom Creeper? Upgrades? Bodies? Ability to eventually compete?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've heard that the creeper is a decent crawler, but I don't think that there is any comparison to the ax10 when it comes to aftermarket support.

Also, check out the classifieds, for ~250 you could get a decently built ax10 and save yourself the hassle of some of those early mods.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBones View Post
OK, looks like they have a creeper package in stock. Any opinions of spending 253.00 on a Venom Creeper? Upgrades? Bodies? Ability to eventually compete?
Venom creepers have some decent support and can do rather well for the money.
Check out the Venom Creeper forum here and read the stickies.
My Son is running one (bought used) and did well in his 1st season.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote